Viking Offroad Sailcloth tops

• What is so great about these tops? ???

You can buy a Bestop Supertop with Tinted Windows in Denim from QT for $602.99

What makes these Viking tops worth $100-$200 more than a Bestop?

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers just asking a question...

• What makes these Viking tops worth $100-$200 more than a Bestop?

More than that if your Jeep didn't come with the factory door surrounds. The Viking kit doesn't with them and you can expect to drop a couple hundred on a set (Prob $100 used or $200 for QTech Kit $200). I don't think any jeep that came with just the hard top has them. Then add in the windshield channel ($55) and tailgate bar ($60) if you didn't get it with the QTech kit. So, now the price is $700 + $200 + $55 = ~$955 versus ~$650 shipped for a Bestop Supertop from QTech. Now you are talking over $300 difference.

But, I don't mean this post to be negative. I just wanted to point out the real cost of this which I have been wrestling with. I have considered getting one of the Vikings now that they are in full production. I do like the look of them. But, I don't expect the Viking tops to be any easier or better than my Bestop Supertop because the Supertop is damn easy to manage and also easily converts to a "safari style" which I run all the time. I guess it all comes down to personal preference really. I would like to see a real comparison of the 2 by someone who has had both and can clearly state the pros and cons. A "golly gee these things are super duper" doesn't sell it in my book. No offense intended Joo... ;D

• So, now the price is $700 + $200 + $55 = ~$955 versus ~$650 shipped for a Bestop Supertop from QTech. Now you are talking over $300 difference.

Holy smokes I didn't realize it would be that high!

But, I don't mean this post to be negative. I just wanted to point out the real cost of this which I have been wrestling with. I have considered getting one of the Vikings now that they are in full production. I do like the look of them. But, I don't expect the Viking tops to be any easier or better than my Bestop Supertop because the Supertop is damn easy to manage and also easily converts to a "safari style" which I run all the time. I guess it all comes down to personal preference really. I would like to see a real comparison of the 2 by someone who has had both and can clearly state the pros and cons. A "golly gee these things are super duper" doesn't sell it in my book. No offense intended Joo... ;D

So I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering...

• What is so great about these tops? ???
    You can buy a Bestop Supertop with Tinted Windows in Denim from QT for $602.99
    What makes these Viking tops worth $100-$200 more than a Bestop?
    I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers just asking a question...

Viking Tops

I like that there are no bows and the windows are self storing or still removeable .

• Viking Tops

I like that there are no bows and the windows are self storing or still removeable .

Does anyone have one or know anything about the Bestop version of it?
    It doesn't have any bows either.
    http://www.quadratec.com/products/11116_01XX_PG.htm
    or
    http://www.bestop.com/index.php?s=75

I'm pretty sure it is comparable in design to the Viking but for $519 less DEJA discount = $467.10
    Door surrounds and header included. Not bad huh? :shrug:

EDIT: Actually looking closer at the Bestop, it looks like the side windows are not as easy to remove or roll.

• No the side windows can not be removed IIRC
    I've seen pics of it , but those that have it do not like the fitment of it .

• If that top is anything like besttops halftop or supertop.. then it will also be junk... Those that I know who have the viking top love it, it is a get what you pay for kind of thing.... esp if you want something other than a stock top

• If that top is anything like besttops halftop or supertop.. then it will also be junk... Those that I know who have the viking top love it, it is a get what you pay for kind of thing.... esp if you want something other than a stock top

Not to be difficult, but I think my Supertop is great. Well built, easy to put on/take off, and fits well. What makes you say they are junk? Did I just get lucky and get a "good" one? ;D

• Not to be difficult, but I think my Supertop is great. Well built, easy to put on/take off, and fits well. What makes you say they are junk? Did I just get lucky and get a "good" one? ;D

I hated my supertop, It was the biggest piece of junk I have ever put on my jeep I bought the stupid plastic side pieces twice before I gave it away and bought a stock top.. I had to return my half-top 4 times for ripped seams before I gave up on it. Knowing the people I know at q-tec, I was not the only one with serious bestop issues

• IMHO, the factory soft top is still the best. easiest to put down, quietest, dryest and most importantly easiest to get any replacement part for. I've seen/tried/had just about every soft top out there and I always come back to the factory tj top

• IMHO, the factory soft top is still the best. easiest to put down, quietest, dryest and most importantly easiest to get any replacement part for. I've seen/tried/had just about every soft top out there and I always come back to the factory tj top

I'll agree with you to a certain extent.....

I originally had a TJ sailcloth top and the frame kept breaking on me. The advantage I found to the viking is there is none of that. Just straps....makes my life so much simpler. There is a place to store my windows and it won't scratch, and I don't have to see them they are stored in the roofline. I also thought the price was very reasonable considering the cost of a new frame and top.I also can just take out the windows and off with the doors and VIOLA! I have what I want. I'm not one for baking in the sun 100% of the time......so when I want to take it off I'll take it off.

When I bought mine I was in a dilema. Finding a frame and it was time for a new top or trying out the viking. I'm VERY happy with my viking.

Disadvantages: If you don't have your factory rollbar padding or you plan on modifying your roll cage....you better plan. Mine is not as tight as it should be because they are designed for rollbar padding. So that means that I get a little saggyness in the top of it and water puddles. After a good rain you better have the window closed when you start a turn because it will come down and get you a little wet. If your going to modify your cage in general you should plan.

As far as noise in concerned...I thought the Viking was equal amounts of sound as my other top. Mine is not the fancy sailcloth vikings that are out now......so I'm sure that's even quieter. I haven't had any issue with it leaking or tearing (like the original ones, just the threads came loose). Haven't had any problems with it really at all.

I plan on getting one of these fancy sailcloth ones though.....look good to me!

Here is a link when I originally got mine -- http://www.delawareja.com/forum/index.php?topic=16037.0

This picture was from almost a year ago....things have changed a bit. :innocent:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!