Slow Cranking TJ.....I changed the name...need some feedback!

• I have a 99 TJ 4.0 with manual trans. Running an Optima Red Top that appears to do fine when I run it on the street, however I found that when I run on the trail especially on consecutive days, the charge seems to get lower and lower to the point where it will barely turn over. My driving style on the trail keeps the rpm's below 1500 for most of the day, and at big dogs we ran two 6 hour days. By day two I was afraid to shut it off while on the trail. It is not throwing any codes, but I am thinking the alternator is probably going. I guess the reason I am confused is because I thought they either worked or didn't work, not somewhere in between. And I was wondering if the starter could be going due to the fact that I have heard they start to pull mega amps when they start to fail. Any input???

• I thought you were running a blue top. Not that it make a difference.

• I thought you were running a blue top. Not that it make a difference.

Not entirely true...blue top == yellow top aka deep cycle.

Sean- Might wanna test the alternator, possible it's still 'working' but not putting out much juice at lower rpm's. The 99's are still mounted low and prone to getting dunked, you keeping that pig outta the water?

--Ian

• Wow, way to dime a guy out. I will never take you to the dealership with me! Hahaha :innocent:

I think most of our Jeeps are past that point that the dealership would think "Wow this guy really babies this thing." :laughing:

• Dunno what you're talking about...mine's 'cherry' :innocent:

Yeah, I can see you taking it to the dealership and telling them it is simply a limited production run "Road Warrior Edition". Stopped making them because the average Jeep buyer demanded more chrome and the "Life is Good" tire covers wouldn't fit, forget that there was no spare on the tailgate... Lol

• I remember that day. I was the next one behind you. Good thing your wife was driving and not you :doh:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Thats a great pic, I tend to try to stay dry while behind the wheel so thats not me. I guess the reason I am stumped is the fact that it seems to do fine on the road, but slowly gets worse and worse on the trail, maybe the alternator with the low rpm's all day, or could be the battery...I am not sure. Good thread though...I love seeing pics of the jeep before I had it.

• Update....Here is what has happened since last post,

I don't drive the vehicle very often on the road...and keep it on a battery tender while its sets. So whenever I start the vehicle it cranks very slow. I had a red top and had it tested with at Battery Warehouse....they said it was at 80%....so they charged it up for me and same thing. I then swapped it out with a brand new blue top due to the sale of my other crawler....still slow cranking. I had the battery and alternator tested at Autozone and everything passed. I took out the starter today and took it to Autozone for testing and it passed. I cleaned all sanded all my electrical connections and re-installed....same thing...still cranking slow. I'm stumped. A bit of additional info...when I go on wheeling trips for more than a day it gets worse and worse....until I am afraid to shut it off. It always starts, but it cranks so slow that I am amazed that it fires. Any ideas?

• Update....Here is what has happened since last post,

I don't drive the vehicle very often on the road...and keep it on a battery tender while its sets. So whenever I start the vehicle it cranks very slow. I had a red top and had it tested with at Battery Warehouse....they said it was at 80%....so they charged it up for me and same thing. I then swapped it out with a brand new blue top due to the sale of my other crawler....still slow cranking. I had the battery and alternator tested at Autozone and everything passed. I took out the starter today and took it to Autozone for testing and it passed. I cleaned all sanded all my electrical connections and re-installed....same thing...still cranking slow. I'm stumped. A bit of additional info...when I go on wheeling trips for more than a day it gets worse and worse....until I am afraid to shut it off. It always starts, but it cranks so slow that I am amazed that it fires. Any ideas?

This contagious? ;D Seriously...gotta test the battery in mine as it's been cranking really s-l-o-w recently. 2yr old Deka intimidator AGM but it has seen its share of being drawn down to nothing and recharged and other assorted abuse. Thinking my issue may be a combo of it and the starter though...would've been my guess on yours too but ?

--Ian

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!