Oil pressure woes

• The oil pressure in my TJ doesn't seem to stay constant anymore. When you turn it on the CHECK GAUGES light is on and it is sitting at 0. After awhile it goes up to 20 and then 35-38, but never to 40 like it used to. Anytime I stop at a light it goes back down to about 0 - 5. It doesn't seem to be an issue ( ie. make any strange noises or act weird), but it bothers me. I had the shop check it with a mechanical gauge and they said the pressure was fine. My big issue is that going uphill on a trail it drops to 0 and the CHECK GAUGES light comes on and also just driving normal on a trail makes the light come on and the pressure drop to 0 since the RPMs are usually pretty low and I stay in 2nd gear.

Any ideas as to what it could be?

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• oil sending unit. change your oil. clogged filter. but #1 is the sending unit

Oil has been changed about 3 times since all of this has started happening. The sending unit is what tells the gauge what to read, right? Had that checked a few times and they said it was fine. Replaced it and hasn't made a difference...

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• And doing a mechanical test the pressure was good right?

Yes, that's what I was told. I may do one myself though. Can I buy the gauge at an auto parts store?

• Mine does the same thing, ive taken it to several different shops. They have all said that it can be a normal thing. As long as it doesnt knock your okay. Ive tried the oil sending unit X2. Still hadnt changed any thing. So ive been running it for over a year like this with no problem.

• i believe the body control module and the inst.cluster are both programmable in that vehicle,ck a good dealer and there may be some tech bulletins for flashing the controllers

• I replaced my gauge and sending unit on my CJ and uit still does it.. Not as bad, but, still looks bad at idles and low rpm.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• my sister's 99 tj 4cly is doing it and she has had her sending unit, oil pump and one other thing changed i can't think of what it was right now. but it still does it.

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• I think its a normal thing. All are jeeps have it in comon. They still run and dont Knock. I say :driving: It should be fine.

• could be worn bearings. If you confirm the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge you might try heavier oil as a band aid fix.

Start using an oil additive like Lucas.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• out of curiosity, what oil filter are you using? Frams will really mess with your oil pressure. Trust me. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Replaced the sending unit on mine and good as new........................I hope this works for you.

&quot;Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.&quot;

• out of curiosity, what oil filter are you using? Frams will really mess with your oil pressure. Trust me. :)

It's a "Mopar" filter which I'm sure is just a Mopar rebranded cheap filter. It doesn't matter which filter I use though as the oil pressure is always the same. May be time for a new engine! :spinrhead:

• It's a "Mopar" filter which I'm sure is just a Mopar rebranded cheap filter. It doesn't matter which filter I use though as the oil pressure is always the same. May be time for a new engine! :spinrhead:

FWIW the older mopar filters were made by champion laboratories and but most in the past 10 years or so were made by purolator...with the exception of the 'severe duty' ones which IIRC are really similar to fram POS's. Do a quick search on google and there are several articles out there where people have examined the various mopar filters.

--Ian

• FWIW the older mopar filters were made by champion laboratories and but most in the past 10 years or so were made by purolator...with the exception of the 'severe duty' ones which IIRC are really similar to fram POS's. Do a quick search on google and there are several articles out there where people have examined the various mopar filters.

--Ian

Yeah, I've seen those articles. I'm not saying that it's smart of me to run a Mopar filter because I know it's not. It's just what walmart had in stock and I figured it had to be better than grabbing a Fram. I'm about to order a case of Wix filters. :wavey:

• If the brand of filter you use is causing oil pressure differences then you have other issues.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!