GWNF Trail Ride: April 29 - May 1, 2005

• The family and I are rolling out now. See you all down there. I'll be at the Jameson Hotel.
    Later :wavey:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Damn, I want to leave now!

I have a portrait to take at 5:00 and a lecture to attend at 6:00...eeeshh!!!!

See you there!!!

• Just a reacap:

The Dover group will meet at Chris and Icky's tomorrow at 9:00. We'll leave shortly after. We'll take 301 to 50, 50 across the bridge to I-495 South, I-495 South to 66 West to I-81 South. I-81 South to 33 West at Harrisonburg. If you're staying at the Jameson, it is off of 33 at Evelyn Byrd Avenue. According to the map it looks like it is on the I-81 side of town right after we exit. If we've made good time, I may stop to check-in, and maybe fill my cooler with ice. If we're running late, I'll check-in later.

If we get to the campsite early enough, we'll hit the Old Rt.33 trail. It is short, very easy, but it'll be a taste. If daylight allows, we'll drive down to the river to check the water level.

I'll probably hang out at the campsite for a while, then head back to the hotel after dark, possibly getting dinner on the way back if anyone is interested.

The hotel group will then meet at the Jameson at 8:45 and leave promptly for the campsite. We're to meet there at 9:30am. IF you miss us at the hotel, Stay on Rt.33 through H'burg, you'll come to a small town named Rawley Springs. Go through Rawley Springs, past a small store called McDormands (remember that store...they have everything!), into GWNF. A couple of miles in on the RIGHT is a stream marked Kephart Run. The trailhead is on the east side (your side as you approach from H'burg), on the RIGHT. Turn in and go for about 15 minutes, maybe a bit more, you'll see the campsite. There are three clearings there. We usually skip the first, set up at the second, and Alan/Tony usually set up at the third. There's only one way in and one way out... the same trail, s oyou can't miss us unless you're REALLY late.

• Quote from "DrJ"

Just a reacap:

I-495 South, I-495 South to 66 West to I-81 South. I-81 South to 33 West at Harrisonburg.

steve,

i mapped out some directions and it looks like from I-495 we will be running the same route...

maybe we could hook up after we get on 495 or 66??

carl

• We'll be meeting Sara at an unmarked Truck Stop near Manassas on I-66 (right Sara?), maybe there?

Sara, can you give us a little lay-of -the-land for the truck stop? After Manassas, before? right hand side? etc.

• I posted it before with exit #'s etc. Give me a couple minutes to do a search and I'll find it.

"Thanks for the help. If any groups or individuals will be stopping at Manassas rest on I-66W between exits 52 and 47 and can give me an approximate time, I'd like to hook up with you there. It's about the halfway point between Delaware and GWNF."

More in a minute :wavey:

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• Quote from "DrJ"

A couple of miles in on the RIGHT is a stream marked Kephart Run. The trailhead is on the east side (your side as you approach from H'burg), on the RIGHT.

We tried to mark the trailhead with a lightstick or a balloon or a sombrero or something last time to make it easy to spot. I have a small orange and black checkered pennant with me this time, and I'll stop and attach it to the guardrail when we get to the trailhead of Kephart.

• we all seem to be leaving DE at 9am and it looks to be about a 4 hour ride to GWNF...

we are leaving at 9 from Newark and the other group is leaving at 9 from Dover area..

if that stop is about half way I would figure around 11-12 we should be there.

carl

• Just checked the weather again (@ weather.com)

They's saying 80% chance of showers on Friday and 65 high/48 low, then just AM rain on Saturday with 72/47, and partly cloudy Sunday and 67/45.

If we can get through setting up in the rain, and a soggy breakfast, the rest should be ok.

But the NOAA site says this:
    Friday: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 62. South wind between 6 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Friday Night: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low near 54. South wind between 7 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Saturday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high around 75. Southwest wind between 11 and 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Saturday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 45. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Sunday: Partly cloudy, with a high around 69.

Slightly different, but looks like we'll have rain at some point I guess.

• If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

Edited once, last by ().

• sara,

we all seem to be leaving DE at 9am and it looks to be about a 4 hour ride to GWNF...

we are leaving at 9 from Newark and the other group is leaving at 9 from Dover area..

if that stop is about half way I would figure around 11-12 we should be there.

i can pm you a contact number if you like but it would be great if we all could met there.

i think there will be 4 jeeps in the group I am in..

• Quote from "wanderlust"

We tried to mark the trailhead with a lightstick or a balloon or a sombrero or something last time to make it easy to spot. I have a small orange and black checkered pennant with me this time, and I'll stop and attach it to the guardrail when we get to the trailhead of Kephart.

I've got a couple glow-in-the-dark condoms.

We can inflate them and tie them to the sign. :grin:

• Man...that would be a sight to come up on in the middle of the night! A giant glow in the dark condom! :laughing:

You might attract the wrong crowd. :hmm:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I'm heading out in about a half hour. See you all tomorrow. :wavey:

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• Quote from "Slimer"

Man...that would be a sight to come up on in the middle of the night! A giant glow in the dark condom! :laughing:

You might attract the wrong crowd. :hmm:

Yeah, and the locals would want one tied into a doggy for their youngin'.

That's one of those "you had to be there" jokes.

• The YJ is ready for her maiden voyage. Clothes, first aid kit, tools, cooler, two chairs, two kids and a wife! That load should definitely flatten out those new leaf springs.

A big thanks to BBD for donating a tail gate bar for the back window. Our gear would have been soaked in a really hard rain.

See everyone in the morning at Chris & Ickys.

• Probably the last time I'm checking the board before leaving tomorrow morning. See some of you in Dover, the rest of you during the day sometime. Everyone drive safe, and think sunny thoughts!

• Y'all have an awesome time! Wish I coulda gone. The XJ hasn't been broken/broken in yet. This was gonna be it. :doh: It'll hafta be sometime this summer then. :hmm:

• Well, I am alomst ready. Have all the gear packed and just need to pack the food and beverages. I am planning to leave with the Dover group. I live right on Route 8 about 2 miles from Maryland. Can someone give me a buzz or a shout on the CB when you guys roll out and I will just join you when you pass the house?

I will be ready at 9 and have everyone in the Jeep

My cell is 222-2680

Thanks

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!