XJ cages, anybody have experience?

• Been thinking about getting an internal cage for my XJ... Looking at this one, since I don't think I can have one bent custom for me locally for anywhere near that price. http://tandjperformance.com/st…cPath=25_43&products_id=8 (better pics here, with optional side impact bars, grab handles and seat harness bar: http://www.naxja.org/forum/sho…p?p=244117449&postcount=6 )

Just worried about clearance at the dash for climbing into the Jeep, seems like that extra 2" of room would be "sorely" missed by by knees. With that in mind, I wouldn't get the grab handles, or even the side impact bars... my rig is tall enough so that's not a big worry for me. I'm mostly worried about some idiot pulling out in front of me and me hitting him on an angle and flipping. My front bumper is at the 30" height limit. A guy at my old job totaled his XJ around my size by flipping over a car he hit. I understand that without an exo cage there will still be significant body damage, but I'll at least I won't have the roof on my head.

Any thoughts from people in the know? ;D

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• this might push you further toward a decision: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum…led-jeep-last-sat-883533/

the facebook link in the op might need to be copy-pasted into your browser. WARNING! somewhat unsettling content in the facebook link.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

Edited once, last by altierior ().

• aww, poor XJ. :( Oh, and that dudes face isn't so great either. ouch. Broken collarbones hurt BAD, and they're pretty easy to break, too.

Hey, John... your rig is about the same size as mine... time for a cage, don'tcha think? :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• aww, poor XJ. :( Oh, and that dudes face isn't so great either. ouch. Broken collarbones hurt BAD, and they're pretty easy to break, too.

Hey, John... your rig is about the same size as mine... time for a cage, don'tcha think? :)

yeah, i guess if i wheeled it a lot.

oh, wait...

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• well i was thinking about if and when i install a cage but right now i don't wheel enough to justify. but with and internal frame if you roll the body is going to be trashed. external cages protect it all but look ugly as sin. but i have been seeing xj on NAXJA that have the cage like a roof rack ties in through the cab in the back and behind the front seats but comes down the outside of the window and trough the top of the fenders and ties into something. some tied it into the sliders. if i get a cage im going for this type.

and that guy is lucky

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

Edited once, last by rstiles ().

• I understand that without an exo cage there will still be significant body damage, but I'll at least I won't have the roof on my head.

well i was thinking about if and when i install a cage but right now i don't wheel enough to justify. but with and internal frame if you roll the body is going to be trashed. external cages protect it all but look ugly as sin.

I know. ;) I don't want the looks of the exo cage, even the "hybrid" cages all over NAXJA right now. Plus, without a tubing bender, notcher, welder or a big garage, I can't afford it. Just a better excuse to get a newer vehicle... :)

Jerry / Whatevah

• I know. ;) I don't want the looks of the exo cage, even the "hybrid" cages all over NAXJA right now. Plus, without a tubing bender, notcher, welder or a big garage, I can't afford it. Just a better excuse to get a newer vehicle... :)
    [/quote]

Jerry I could see you in a Yellow JK Unlimited with 37" on it!

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• don't go to the dark side Jerry, you are one with the XJ

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• I saw a few complaints on NAXJA about that cage being pretty basic and not fitting very well without bending it. Wanna install it for me? :) And I want to see what it'll look like installed, they don't have any photos on their site. I'll do some focused searches and see if I can find anything more, though.

Jerry / Whatevah

• And I want to see what it'll look like installed, they don't have any photos on their site.

they're not doing a very good job of trying to sell it, are they?

~ JD

• Dude that is a sweet looking cage. Looks like a lot of install work, but then again you are putting a cage in a uni body vehicle. I like the intigration of the rear sock mounts into the cage, and the set up for the rear tire. I really like the tube stiffiners being tied into everything, That must be one hell of a jeepspeed truck.

Andy

• Dude that is a sweet looking cage. Looks like a lot of install work, but then again you are putting a cage in a uni body vehicle. I like the intigration of the rear sock mounts into the cage, and the set up for the rear tire. I really like the tube stiffiners being tied into everything, That must be one hell of a jeepspeed truck.

Andy

adding the chassis stiffeners and tying the cage to it makes you have a complete cage. (a full loop front to back) what we try to do when building a Jeepspeed is pretty much build a sand rail in the XJ. the one in the link i posted was build to be a mild prerunner.

• adding the chassis stiffeners and tying the cage to it makes you have a complete cage. (a full loop front to back) what we try to do when building a Jeepspeed is pretty much build a sand rail in the XJ. the one in the link i posted was build to be a mild prerunner.

O I am sure they can get a lot stronger but for a cage built like that in a way that you can still comfortably drive it every day is pretty sweet. Whatevah you should put one in your XJ so I can see how it works out.

• S&W Racing has been around a very long time....they primarily sell to the race crowd. I am sure they are not hinging their business on a XJ cage. They have great customer service and when I order parts from them....they usually arrive the next day with standard shipping.

• only thing about internal frames is where it goes to the floor. for me ill end up kicking it or something. also vehicles that have the diagonal brace at the doors i find extremely hard to get into for something your going to get in and drive around town. also in those pics the cage block the vents on the dash

i think if your going to put a cage in, then strip the cabin and install the cage against the body. maybe do something like this up front or around the b pillar so its not taking out foot room.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!