If you were to do an engine swap, what would you put in a YJ?

• Isn't there a Buick V6 that is popular for this type of swap?

Turbo 3.8 Buick. Heck Yeah.

4.3 is ok, but turbos are neat. Then again a turbo 4.3 from a Syclone or Typhoon would be pretty nasty.

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• this is a great thread so many ideas to dream over :spinrhead:

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• I owned a CJ with a Ford 351w for several years. Do yourself a favor and stick with what you got (rebuild or reman). I recently picked up a TJ to get away from all the bs of owning a Jeep with a motor swap. There are a host of issues that come along with motor swapping. Don't get me wrong...if you do a really good job and use the right combo you may get years of reliability, but I fell into the trap of upgrading this and that on a budget, until I couldn't even remember what part #'s were used for different components. IE....I blew my alternator up at RC....couldn't remember what year or vehicle it came from...i finally figure it out, go get it, then realize when I get it back that I had drilled out the mounting holes on the alternator that went bad, to mount the higher amperage alternator to the motor....so a half an hour job, turned into a 3 hours job while I switched alternator cases (annoying because I was not able to focus 100% on drinking at the end of the day). Cooling issues, trans issues, customizing parts to fit....all this takes time away from being on the trail. It's nice to have a big motor, but the 4.0 or 4.2 puts out plenty for what we do. If you want the cool points go for it, but it's not necessary and can be a headache. My goal with the new to me TJ was stock 4.0, stock Trans, 4-1, with big axles (still pending, and not sure if 60's are necessary). So far, 2 seasons under my belt and no drivetrain issues at all. That's more than what I could say for the V8 I was running. I am sure people are going to say that if you use a reliable motor with low miles you will be fine, but it's more complicated than that.

• He is right, it is way more complicated than That. Ive done a 302, np435, np205 swap in the monster YJ. It was all good until the wiring for the fuel injection and all. Pain in the rectum. If you dont have the means to fabricate mounts and such then it hets expensive buying those things

• FWIW a diesel conversion would then be exempt from emissions unless you were to swap a JK that fell into the newer diesel emissions regs. Never done one but have done some research into it as I have interesting plans for my TJ... :suspicious:

The person to ask would be DieselCJ as he has (had?) 2 swapped CJ's that were tagged in DE.

--Ian

• going back to the cool factor...

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YjDHne15RVw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YjDHne15RVw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

But Seriously one of the reasons I went from CJ to TJ was I didn't wan't to go thru with the motor swap.

I had a crate TBI 350 and SM465 in my junker truck ready to go in (I had motor mounts and most of the other stuff lined up)
    But I knew that it was going to be a never ending project...

• I like this set up.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

But I keep toying with the idea of a 6.0L Votec in a YJ.

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• James I think that Jeep you posted in the youtube link has a GM 572 Crate engine in it.

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• Jeep racing a Ferrari, FREAKIN' SWEET!!!!

correction... Jeep smokin' a Ferrari.

after watching those videos, I was driving to work wanting more muscle... I know better thou, much easier to build a race car than it is to build a race jeep that I want to use on the trail and drive everyday.

• He is right, it is way more complicated than That. Ive done a 302, np435, np205 swap in the monster YJ. It was all good until the wiring for the fuel injection and all. Pain in the rectum. If you dont have the means to fabricate mounts and such then it hets expensive buying those things

I don't currently have the means BUT I do know this guy Scott who might have a bay in his garage and some free time since he's not currently in the middle of a project Jeep himself who might help?? Basic rebuild at the minimum or a simple swap of something "simple"?? What cha up for brother?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!