YJ power steering too easy

• Now that the YJ is running like she should, I drove her 38 miles today. According to the guy that followed me home, the speedometer is right on the money. Only thing I didn't like was the steering is too easy. Anyway to get the steering to be harder?

• First time I ever heard THAT complaint! :laughing:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Steering is very easy. Doesn't seem to be any play in the front end. I have replaced the lower steering column bearing & the steering shaft. Tires need to be balanced as I have a shimmy @ 40 mph. The steering in my F-250 was as easy as the YJ, but that was because a check valve failed. When you let go of the wheel when making a turn, the steering wouldn't return, you had to turn the wheel or crash. This isn't the case with the YJ, steering works like it should, it's just too easy, you can turn it with 1 finger. I'll try to check the front end again tonight.

• turning with one finger is running like it should. every jeep i've driven or had was that way, proper caster is what you have sir, good job! :up: :up:

• I have the same problem with my 87 yj and its scary when going fast. I was told that there's really nothing to do. that that's the way it was designed. with no resistance whatsoever. I was also told that it meant that the steering box is doing what is supposed to do. I will however change my steering stabilizer this summer. if you find any info on it let me know please

Luis

• 35 lbs.
    Sometimes the steering causing a puckering in certain body parts when cornering!
    Maybe I need to see my Dr. or carry a change of, well you know!

• Id check the toe on the front tires.....Too much or too little can make the steering a bit too responsive and a bit squirelly driving down the road.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• I believe negative caster can do that also. When I first lifted my TJ it felt like I was skating on ice, it was so easy. Eventually adjusted my caster and it felt good again. :driving:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!