03 Tj Build

• Here's what we have or have ordered so far. I will be needing some help getting this project together. Namely Clayton install and Ford 8.8 build. My plan is to have all upgrades on-hand at start of project so minimal delays. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. Does anyone know of a gas tank skid that is bolt on with hitch installed? The following is a complete list ( I think ) of all upgrades so far.

Clayton

sales@claytonoffroad.com

Upgraded to antirock front sway bar Kit

PD-TJ40 TJ 4" Long Arm Suspension Lift Kit ( changed to 4" L/A kit today 2/4/10 caught just before it shipped )

SP-TJCBR 2003-2006 - TJ - Auto/Manual/Rubicon Transmission &Engine skid plate

BracketAB-RABK-TJ TJ/LJ Rear axle bracket kit

F4-BE5-A938-H5 Bilstein 5100 Front Shock Absorber

F4-BE5-A940-H6 Bilstein 5100 Front Shock Absorber

F88456 Superior Gear & Axle - Ford 8.8 4.56 Gears

35-2013 Overhaul kit - Ford 8.8

KJ01005 1" Motor mount lift

Quadratech

Keeper 6' Long x 2" Wide Tree Saver Strap (20,000 lb. Rated Capacity

HighRock 4x4™ Receiver Recovery Hitch

39 Tooth Speedometer Gear for 93-06 Jeep® Vehicles

Skid Row Offroad Steering Box Skid Plate for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited

Black Rock Series 941 Dune Wheel with 5 on 4.5" Bolt Pattern in 15x8 Size & 4" Backspacing

Riddler Manufacturing Differential Cover for Ford 8.8" Axles

Smittybilt Front XRC Bumper in Textured Black for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited

Detroit Trutrac Limited Slip Differential for Ford 8.8 Rear Axle with 31 Spline

Warn Rock sliders

Other additions

Hp D30 from bill knox

Ford 8.8 build

smittybilt xrc 8 comp winch

Advanced adaptors SYE & Tom woods D shaft

• Unless you are running 37's or bigger, the 4" Clayton is more than enough. Definitely consider antirock or swayloc up front.

This is my 1st Build. I've owned this rig for about a year now. I've been planning all that time. I'm trying to make this very easy for future upgrade this is the reason I chose the 5.5 L/A kit.

• I think 33s will look very small on that lift and the proportions won't be right.

I've considered this may be the case. I thought though I would see how it looks prior to going up-size $$. I just didn't want 2 regret in the future not going 2 the 5.5 lift.

• 33 x 12.5 now. plan to stay there, but will see where we are at completion & consider any changes then. Unless there's some reason to change at build time.

Then definitely drop to the 4" Clayton. If you do the axle bracket relocation kit then it really adds a lot of clearance which will make up for the 33's. Consider the rear shock outboarding/relo kit as well. With what you are talking about, and a 4" kit, 35's are easy to run and 33's will look small. And you may as well add the Currie steering at build time and not wait. Stock steering won't last long if you use the LA to its potential. ;D

Personally, I wouldn't go long arm unless I was running 35's, although the ride is better than stock no matter what tire you go with. Again, I outboarded the rear shocks and the Bilstein's are great. And FWIW, I will be running 37's soon with the 4" kit so the 5.5" kit is definitely not needed for your plans. I may end up with the 5.5" coils but that is only because the Toyo are true 37's and even then, I will evaluate after to build is done before I change. :up:

• I've considered this may be the case. I thought though I would see how it looks prior to going up-size $$. I just didn't want 2 regret in the future not going 2 the 5.5 lift.

To upgrade all you need are the Clayton 5.5" coils ($300 for all 4) and longer shocks which are always on sale...

• I think 33s will look very small on that lift and the proportions won't be right.

Also consider gearing. 4.56 and a manual transmission will be ok for 33's but definitely consider 4.88 if 35's are in your future. You can quickly add a lot of cost by regearing but it is better to consider it all beforehand and to it right the first time.

• Also consider gearing. 4.56 and a manual transmission will be ok for 33's but definitely consider 4.88 if 35's are in your future.

Is this thing a 4 cyl???

-Brad

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• Also consider gearing. 4.56 and a manual transmission will be ok for 33's but definitely consider 4.88 if 35's are in your future. You can quickly add a lot of cost by regearing but it is
    better to consider it all beforehand and to it right the first time.

Thanks for the nfo & suggestions. you guys are a great help. I'm 4.0 auto. My D30 is already set-up w/4.56 & OX locked so I'm going 4.56 Detroit in the8.8.

• To upgrade all you need are the Clayton 5.5" coils ($300 for all 4) and longer shocks which are always on sale...

Again thanks was able to change CLA to 4" today just prior to shipping. also swapped out disco's included in kit for antirock sway bar kit $175. diff.

• :up: You will be very happy with those choices.

X2 An extra $175 for an off road sway bar is money well spent. It is probably on of the best mods on my Jeep. Even with only 4" of lift, you will feel much more stable off road. :up:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!