YJ 4WD performance question

• Actually that's a thought. I wonder if it is slightly out of align since Paragon. In 2WD it would be fine, but when driving the front wheels, the misalignement would be more pronounced. I think I'll get a lifetime alignment anyway, the whell does wobble a little bit.

Thanks!

DrJ

• I'd let you know how my YJ is acting (a 1989), but I can't because of a few reasons... 1) I'm not allowed to drive, at all (grrr...) and 2) my Jeep isn't finished being fixed up yet. :)

So... I would love to offer you some help, but I can't... grr... :)

-Steve :hmm:

• With my vast expeirience with 88 yj's I would say with %99.99 acuracy that the front drive shaft is causing a vibration. As said earlier the shaft is unbalanced and I would bet the joints have never been changed. In addition, the previouse owners probably didn't ever engage the 4wd so the front ds has spun at a speed for several years :). Just my $.02.

• Quote from "DrJ"

So I should replace the u-joints?

DrJ

That's a good plare to start, but the reality is that pre '90 YJ ds was never meant to spin that fast. I think the owners manual says to go 45 mph max in 4wd. After '90 they ballanced the shafts so you could go faster. You may just want to live with it.

There really isn't anything in the t-case that would cause a "rough" effeft. If the chain was loose you would hear and feel it when you were going slow too.

• Then to follow that reasoning, I could look for a post-90 ds? Or wouldn't a newer ds fit for some reason? If I'm going to pull the u-joints, a ds wouldn't be a big deal at the same time, right?

DrJ

• Quote from "DrJ"

If I'm going to pull the u-joints, a ds wouldn't be a big deal at the same time, right?

DrJ

Trying to change the u-joints on the ds while still on the Jeep would be a PITA. :ghostly:

• does anyone know what ujoints it takes? i have some spare brand new 1310 series ones that we could us on them (if that's the size). anyone in the know please post up - we could work out something when i get back steve.
    chris

• You might just remove the front drive shaft and drive it around to see if the vibration persists. If it does then you know it isn't the drive shaft.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "quadna71"

does anyone know what ujoints it takes? i have some spare brand new 1310 series ones that we could us on them (if that's the size). anyone in the know please post up - we could work out something when i get back steve.
    chris

GREAT!! If not, someone post which ones they are, and I'll order them now. Oh, and I'll spray the entire underside with PB Blaster!

DrJ

• They are Spicer 1310 joints. Any of the local parts stores brands will work fine. They will just cross refference the #.

• Quote from "Slimer"

You might just remove the front drive shaft and drive it around to see if the vibration persists. If it does then you know it isn't the drive shaft.

Since the vibes only happen in 4WD, taking the driveshaft off really wouldn't do much to isolate the problem.

• That's right..I forgot that he doesn't have lock out hubs.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!