Check Your Nuts !!

• Might seem like a no brainer, but sometimes we overlook the obvious.

Coming back from the Spring Fling we were on I-97 and all of a sudden the Jeep became very hard to control.

Pulled over and looked underneath for anything broken, didn't see anything.

Third time we stopped I thought to look at the wheels.

I was missing 4 lug nuts off the driver side rear wheel.

Jacked it up and replaced the missing nuts and made it home without further trouble.

I had that wheel off 2 weeks prior working a shock problem and had torqued them down but hadn't driven it until the trip to the Fling so hadn't rechecked them.

Wallowed out the holes on the rim, but it could certainly have had a much worse outcome.

• Do you have aluminum wheels, or are they steel ?

If you have aluminum wheels, they must be torqued down tight as poo poo, or they will definately loosen up !!!!

When my Dad gave me his car, they had some old school aluminum wheels on there, which are still on the car, and he told me to make sure to to torque them down good, or they would come loose, as this has happened to him before.

If ya have the steel ones, someone didn't crank em down too much.

I have heard that if ya tighten wheels too darn tight, that it will screw up your rotors, and or drums.

I myself have really never had a problem on the above said thing, as I always make sure my lug nuts are super tight.

I use a 15" breaker bar with a Snap-On impact socket. :up:

Never know, some a-hole that doesn't like you, or vandals might have done this to you ???

• Do you have aluminum wheels, or are they steel ?

If you have aluminum wheels, they must be torqued down tight as poo poo, or they will definately loosen up !!!!

My Jeep has aluminum spacers and aluminum wheels, my wife's Jeep has aluminum spacers and aluminum wheels, and my last TJ had aluminum wheels too. I've always torqued all the lug nuts to 100 ft/lb with my torque wrench...and haven't had a problem. The one time that I did find an issue with a loosened lug nut or two was when I picked up my Jeep from having new tires installed at a shop. Found them loose the next day...and can't vouch for how tight or loose they put them. The factory service manuals also say 100 ft/lb is within limits (or something close...like 85-110 ft/lb?) so I've stuck with that.

• My Jeep has aluminum spacers and aluminum wheels, my wife's Jeep has aluminum spacers and aluminum wheels, and my last TJ had aluminum wheels too. I've always torqued all the lug nuts to 100 ft/lb with my torque wrench...and haven't had a problem. The one time that I did find an issue with a loosened lug nut or two was when I picked up my Jeep from having new tires installed at a shop. Found them loose the next day...and can't vouch for how tight or loose they put them. The factory service manuals also say 100 ft/lb is within limits (or something close...like 85-110 ft/lb?) so I've stuck with that.

If I can, I never let the so called TIRE INSTALLORS install my tires on the vehicle. I'd rather take ( OFF THE VEHICLE WHEELS THERE ) to have that done.

When I first got into the automotive field for a career, I was in charge of a bunch of idiot tire changers. Had newbies try to put the wheel on backwards, balance them bass akwards, lugs nuts not tightened all the way.

Thats why I don't let anyone install the tires on my vehicles anymore.

If you don't have a second vehicle to drive to transport your wheels, jack up you vehicle, take the wheels off, and have your girlfriend, wife, or friend take you there.

It is definately worth the extra work that you have to do. :up: :up:

Wheel spacers could also pose a problem too, as far as I know, are aluminum too. I don't like them, as it puts more stress on the axle shafts, and bearings.

• Wheel spacers could also pose a problem too, as far as I know, are aluminum too. I don't like them, as it puts more stress on the axle shafts, and bearings.

How is it any different than running a wheel with less backspacing? One way or another you need to clear the larger tires.

Oops...fixed.

• How is it any different than running a wheel with more backspacing? One way or another you need to clear the larger tires.

Agreed. As long as you can figure out what a torque wrench is and how it works spacers should not be an issue any more so than a wheel with less backspacing than factory...

• Agreed. As long as you can figure out what a torque wrench is and how it works spacers should not be an issue any more so than a wheel with less backspacing than factory...

:up:
    And the trusty old loc-tite is a must because you can't inspect the spacer nuts.

• This coming from the one who doesn't realize his headlights are actually rectangular... :innocent:

What's wrong with square headlights ? Its just a light for night time driving.

Where I live, Jeep owners respect each other.

This forum is just like www.jeepforum.com

I thought for a short time that this was a great Jeep website, where Jeep owners bonded, but now, its just like all the other ones.

Thats why I hate people so much !

What happened to the respect of others ?

I somewhat see why people go postal on other people.

If you ride a Harley, you wave to other Harley riders right ?

If your in your Jeep, ya wave to other Jeeps, right ?

Seems like everyone is in a pissed off mood these days, and they take it out on other people.

I try my best to respect other people no matter what race they are, what they drive, and whatever else !

I hope GOD ends this screwed up world soon, or everyone will be on a killing spree, or I hate this, or I hate that thing, or your Jeep has round headlights, and yours isn't like mine, blah, blah, blah thing.

• HOLY CRAP! :o dude, take a deep breath. and then another deep breath. now sloooooowly step away from the guns. you are letting a little good-natured humor light up your (apparently very short) fuse.

you took a little jab at the entire state of DE, like so:

Sure you can, just have to have the know how thing, but I forgot, I'm talking to mainly Delaware people. :laughing:

but you were just kidding around, right? as evidenced by the little laughing smiley?

then quadna jabbed back, like so:

This coming from the one who doesn't realize his headlights are actually rectangular... :innocent:

was he not also kidding around as evidenced by the little halo-grinning smiley?

no need to go all psychopath and Armageddon... jeez... i hope GOD can find time in his (i'm assuming) busy day to take a moment to visit you and flick off your sociopath switch.

p.s. - quadna is right, you know. your sig QFT: [quote author=Ice Man]
    Ice Man
    * DEJA Guest
    *Jeeps owned: '89 Jeep YJ. Yes, the ones with the cool square headlights[/quote]
    a square has FOUR EQUAL SIDES. unless you've done a very bizarre mod, your headlights are more likely rectangular (like mine) than square. right? :shrug: simple as that.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

Edited once, last by altierior ().

• No need to take up arms.. apparently God has Google calendar and has scheduled May 21st, 2011 to end the world.

http://www.delawareonline.com/…IFE/6050321/Save-the-date

Seriously, give folks the benefit of the doubt, typing words is very different than speaking, and things can be taken the wring way. There has always been a friendly rivalry between CJ /YJ /TJ and those new soccer mom "Jeeps". Of course CJs rule, but that's not the point. We love all jeeps not by the shape of their headlights or coil or leaf springs , but by what they represent, freedom and brotherhood.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• No need to take up arms.. apparently God has Google calendar and has scheduled May 21st, 2011 to end the world.

http://www.delawareonline.com/…IFE/6050321/Save-the-date

Seriously, give folks the benefit of the doubt, typing words is very different than speaking, and things can be taken the wring way. There has always been a friendly rivalry between CJ /YJ /TJ and those new soccer mom "Jeeps". Of course CJs rule, but that's not the point. We love all jeeps not by the shape of their headlights or coil or leaf springs , but by what they represent, freedom and brotherhood.

Mom Jeeps??? Thats it you SOB I'm loading my hand gun right now.... j/k :laughabove: I couldn't help myself. Maybe the 4 doors are mom jeeps but give the 2 door sport some props. :spinrhead:

• Mom Jeeps??? Thats it you SOB I'm loading my hand gun right now.... j/k :laughabove: I couldn't help myself. Maybe the 4 doors are mom jeeps but give the 2 door sport some props. :spinrhead:

[size=5]For the 2 door only..!!![/size]

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!