Moderate Lift to go with 33's

• Not sure about short arm haters. There is absolutely no reason to go long arm for 33's. My short arm with 33's handled awesome but with 35's and a little more lift, I noticed a definite improvement in performance both on and off road when I transitioned from SA to LA. I guess it's a matter of opinion but I would never go back.

you can run 35's on a tj with only a 3.5 re lift. no need for long arms unless you want to go 5+ of lift. Again, just my opinion

• you can run 35's on a tj with only a 3.5 re lift. no need for long arms unless you want to go 5+ of lift

Exactly. And there's no need for that much lift unless you are running 37+ tires.

At 33-35" the LA's are just something to drag across the rocks.

• you can run 35's on a tj with only a 3.5 re lift. no need for long arms unless you want to go 5+ of lift. Again, just my opinion

3.5" RE is like 4" of lift, correct? Yeah. The control arm angles aren't too steep at that point so a short arm would be fine. Mine was a little higher so it had a harsher ride and the axle wanted to crawl under the Jeep when I went up against an obstacle. The LA alleviated that and some other issues I had with having a Detroit in the back.

I know your stance on lockers replacing articulation but there is something to say about having all four tires touching the ground and pushing you forward. Like I said, I'm not a SA hater but there is definitely a place for LA's on a TJ over 4.5" or so.

At 33-35" the LA's are just something to drag across the rocks.

This is true. With smaller tires, long arms can be an anchor because they are the first think to hit. (Look at my arms for an example. :doh:) True sized 35's-36's are about the point where you'd be ok.

I think we may be a little off topic. :mrgreen:

• [size=78%]Wow. Old Man Emu parts are [/size][size=12px]extremely[/size][size=78%] expensive. Is the RE 2.5 kit comparable to the OME stuff? Could one combine the RE 2.5" shocks with the OME springs that are sold separate from the $700 kit?[/size]

• A moderater could split the topic if we have wandered too far off topic. :mrgreen:

to a point you are correct about the having 4 tires on the ground moving you forward, but as long as you are moving, that is all that matters. My point about locker>articulation is I have seen "limited travel" but perfectly balanced suspensions go where ultra flexy unbalanced rigs could not.

• How does the RE 2.5" kit compare with the OME kit? The prices are way apart. Is there that much of a difference in ride comfort/flex/durability?
    Sorry for all the questions guys but I want to do it right ya know.

• Personally I like the idea of a smaller lift and much cutting. Cut out and install a larger rear wheel wells and big flares. Fron , Tube fenders mounted to the hood. Cheep and very affective.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• coil springs are coil springs for the most part. The biggest factor in the way a jeep rides is the shocks. OME is far superior in ride to Rubicon Express because of this

Ride comfort doesn't bother me too much. It is a Jeep not a BMW or something like that. As far as performance, I am guessing the OME shocks take a dump on the RE stuff, hence the price?

• Not sure about short arm haters. There is absolutely no reason to go long arm for 33's. My short arm with 33's handled awesome but with 35's and a little more lift, I noticed a definite improvement in performance both on and off road when I transitioned from SA to LA. I guess it's a matter of opinion but I would never go back.

X2 My only issue with a SA lift is what do you really gain over a BB setup? If you are starting to really wheel your rig then IMHO LA is the way to go when both cost and performance are considered. Once you surpass the capabilities of a BB then you are on the steepest part of the slippery slope of Jeep investments. :innocent:

• [size=78%]Wow. Old Man Emu parts are [/size][size=12px]extremely[/size][size=78%] expensive. Is the RE 2.5 kit comparable to the OME stuff? Could one combine the RE 2.5" shocks with the OME springs that are sold separate from the $700 kit?[/size]

Look at some Bilstein 5100's I can't speak for the OME, but I love the Bilsteins, and the RE shocks were sooo stiff. :innocent: BB + MML + BL + Bilstein 5100's would be a great setup for a reasonable price.

Oh, and there is usually a buy 3 get 1 free Bilstein deal going on somewhere...

• Ride comfort doesn't bother me too much. It is a Jeep not a BMW or something like that. As far as performance, I am guessing the OME shocks take a dump on the RE stuff, hence the price?

Actually, don't buy into that BS. It's about safety, control, and a properly functioning suspension. You put some RE or Skyjacker or other garbage shocks on there and not only will you hate them, they will not perform like OME or Bilstein. And the cost difference really isn't much.

• X2 My only issue with a SA lift is what do you really gain over a BB setup?

While I don't buy into the thinking that articulation is everything, there's no denying that the more you can keep the tires in contact with terra-firma the longer your forward progress will last.

Coil spring spacers, while a economical way to fit larger tires really do nothing but increase ride height.

You are still limited by the factory control arms and the factory track bars.

Maybe at the next Spring Fling we can put my RE 3.5" SA up against a Jeep with a BB and see how they compare.

Pretty sure I know the answer. :innocent:

• I would agree with you on articulation, but if you are running 33's, does it even matter? :innocent: My experience says it doesn't but that's just me. For example, I remember running the same lines as as another Jeep on 35's and a LA when I had 33's and a BB. I went through, they got hung up. So was it the lift? Nope. I guess what I am saying is get good with your Jeep before you pile a bunch of money into it.

• I would agree with you on articulation, but if you are running 33's, does it even matter? :innocent:

Of course it matters.

Is there some magical physics theory that only applies when you step up to 35" ??

The greater the tire size, the more clearance. Simple math there.

• My RE 3.5" springs unseat with the short arms so there really is no usable travel or articulation gained by going to a long arm in that case. Sure the tire may be on the ground, but with no weight its not doing much of anything.

• Of course it matters.
    Is there some magical physics theory that only applies when you step up to 35" ??
    The greater the tire size, the more clearance. Simple math there.

Not what I was saying. My point is this: Are you limited by the lift or by the tire size? I say tire size but to each their own. So if it is tire size that is limiting offroad capabilities, why spend hundreds more on a SA than a BB? And I think more importantly, driver familiarity and skill plays a much larger role than all of that so again, why drop a ton of cash unless you know how to drive what you have and are actually limited by the rig lift and/or tire size, not driving ability?

And I am not implying anyone can't drive. But IMHO offroading is probably 75% driver ability and 25% everything else. Look at Sal (Solomi). His rig is nothing high-dollar (no offense intended) but look at where he takes it? Jason (J-Man) also. They are not the only ones, they just come to mind. Now couple driving skill with money invested and now you have Ian, Billy, and Aaron. Again, they just came to mind. All I am saying is that spending money really doesn't make sense until you are further down the path. Buy skidplates instead. :)

So back to my main point. Put a BB with 33's on, offroad it until you are exceeding its capabilities, then decide on your next steps...

• im suprised nobody mentioned it yet, maybe i missed it...

if you go with a 4 inch lift or more, you will likely need an sye and longer rear driveshaft. not sure if thats in you budget, but something to keep in mind.

with the soft factor springs, bb, and 33's, my jeep would crawl very easily and smoothly over stuff. i now have a 4 inch sa kit with the same tires and other than more clearance, i am about the same in capability. i think my springs may be a little stiff for the trail (procomp)

x2 on keith's flex...i saw a pic of him on an rti ramp and it was pretty incredible (keith, if you get a new lift, i am first in line for your old one)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!