sway bar thoughts....

• what are people using for sway bar improvements? i know that alot of people use the currie anti rock set up. i also found the RockLock from skyjacker and the SwayLoc from ORO. has anybody had any experience with one that was actually stiffer than the stock one (based on personal experience, not manufacturer claims)?

the reason i ask is, looking long term, i may go with fairly low spring rates and keep about 4 inches of lift, but do not want it roll like a boat in rough seas on the street

i know everything is a compromise and dont expect it to handle like its on rails, but just want to see what is out there...

thanks

• More stiff than stock? I know my antirock isn't, but it doesn't roll like a boat either. Even on the most offroad setting it still behaves ok on the street. If you put it on the stiffest setting, its almost what the body roll felt like stock. I really wouldn't worry about handling with an antirock its a great sway bar.

• Took mine off completely and never looked back. Once you learn not to throw the Jeep into the turns like you stole it you don't mind the lean so much. The stiffer springs help minimize the lean too.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• has anybody had any experience with one that was actually stiffer than the stock one (based on personal experience, not manufacturer claims)?

the reason i ask is, looking long term, i may go with fairly low spring rates and keep about 4 inches of lift, but do not want it roll like a boat in rough seas on the street

If you are looking for something stiffer than stock, just stay with the stock bar. Most of the dual rates are similar to stock when locked. If you go off road though, there is nothing like a good off road sway bar as mentioned above.

The best of both worlds will definitely be the Swayloc from ORO with stock handling and off road stability at the flip of a lever.
    That said, I have driven around unlocked with my Swayloc for a week before I realized it felt a little different and decided to check it.

I don't regret the Swayloc at all but dollar for dollar, I'd probably go Currie.

Took mine off completely and never looked back. Once you learn not to throw the Jeep into the turns like you stole it you don't mind the lean so much. The stiffer springs help minimize the lean too.

Leaf springs are different.

• Took mine off completely and never looked back. Once you learn not to throw the Jeep into the turns like you stole it you don't mind the lean so much. The stiffer springs help minimize the lean too.

As Billy said, this does not at all apply to a TJ. You cannot be anywhere near safe on the road (or even offroad) without a front sway bar...

• Wait, so wheeling without a swaybar is "unsafe"? I can appreciate the benefits of an Antirock, but don't think that all offroading sans-swaybar can be arbitrarily called unsafe.

I'm not getting into that whole can-o-worms. IMHO, and having gone with and without, including with and without the rear swaybar, I would never again wheel without a sway bar up front. :innocent:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!