I need to build an offroad trailer (beach only)

• Hi all. I've been searching the web high and low for small offroad jeep trailers like an m416, but am having a tough time finding" the one".

My needs for this trailer are to hold a kayak (rack), fishing poles (four or six rod holders), two coolers, and some other gear that may not fit in the new to me xj. I understand I can put the kayak on the roof, jam the coolers in the back fold the back seats down etc, but then the people I can carry in the jeep decreases due to lack of room, etc.

Im eyeing up james' harbor freight trailer build he did a few years back..and am interested but I want to be able to run matching tires and axle width to accommodate the trailer being able to follow in the sand ruts that the jeep is in. Can that trailer axle be swapped out to something that can hold bigger tires/same bolt pattern?

Any other ideas?

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88's, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25" BL, 33" BFG A/T's, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• could do a front rack for the poles (maybe a little custom using the winch fairlead bolts), kayak strapped to the factory roof rack and coolers on a hitch-mount cargo rack. Or put the coolers in the back (might fit with the seat in place) and leave a hitch-rack free for tackle gear. Just keep in mind that you'll have to remove stuff from the hitch rack to open the hatch.

I do remember seeing at least one thread on JF about how to build a custom trailer from the harbor freight kit.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• btw... time to update your signature line ;)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Ill search for that thread..thanks jerry

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88's, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25" BL, 33" BFG A/T's, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• Looking into tractor supply, apparently their small trailers are the jeep bolt pattern 5x4.5? Spring over axle..matching wheels and tires? Trailers are around 500..

• I think i found a candidate..

sand it down/repaint/SOA. I guess i'll have to pick wheels with some backspacing to be able to fit matching wheels/tires?

oh and heres the new xj :)

• That looks like a really well built trailer as far as the angle iron goes. I am doing the samething to my trailer I will post pics soon. i put a 35oolb axle under it SOA to fit 35's ;D

98 TJ 5.9L, RE 4.5 SF, 35s, 4XDoctor Rocker Guards, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS
    2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• I have a basic Tractor Supply trailer that has served me well for the past four years. I can't remember the exact dimensions, but it's the next up from the smallest, and it did not come with a tailgate. I'd like to raise it up also. I've already done the axle/spring trick to gain a little bit. Wouldn't mind gaining a little more just to make is somewhat more compatible with my lifted TJ. FYI, mine is constantly getting nicked up, but I keep on top of it with gloss black Rustoleum. The one mod I did was place a stainless eye-bolt at each corner of the top rail to give me extra handy tie-down points. I also added Bearing Buddies to the axles.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• chief,

my concern is when I do the SOA is a 15" similar jeep rim going to fit with 31's. I feel like I had read something on JF about needing atleast 4" BS on the rim and then having to readjust the flares/reconstruct/fab/modify/ whatever you choose to do. If its a 5x4.5 bolt pattern in a perfect world, a jeep 15" rim would fit correct?

• XJ looks good. Post pics when you get those new mud terrains on. :up: :)

If I wanted a Hummer I would of asked you sister!<br /> <br />2006 Golden Eagle with not much Golden Eagle left. 2008 JK Wrangler Sahara stocker. Formiely DKGoldenEagle

• Being installed as we speak :mrgreen:

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88&#039;s, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25&quot; BL, 33&quot; BFG A/T&#039;s, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• chief,

my concern is when I do the SOA is a 15" similar jeep rim going to fit with 31's. I feel like I had read something on JF about needing atleast 4" BS on the rim and then having to readjust the flares/reconstruct/fab/modify/ whatever you choose to do. If its a 5x4.5 bolt pattern in a perfect world, a jeep 15" rim would fit correct?

You will most likely need wheel spacers to run Jeep rims on that trailer.

Typical trailer rims are 6" wide and have very little backspacing.

An 8" wheel with 4" or more of BS will probably rub the frame.

• I was thinking of using this guys plans and building a trailer for myself.

http://www.redjeepclub.com/tec…railer/offroadtrailer.php

Personally, I would never buy or build anything smaller than my CDN M101. Mine will go anywhere the Jeep will and has probably the minimum amount of storage space I need/want. While cool, that trailer is way to small to be really useful. Alternatively, I wouldn't go bigger than what I have either due to tracking issues offroad and overall weight. My goal is simply to make the best use of the space I have...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!