Snapped Tie Rod Link

• Should be fairly easy if its anything like the Tjs. 2 crown nuts with pins through them and it drop out. You will have to get new pins as re-using them isn't the best idea but they can be bought at any ace hardware.

• You will most likely need a pickle fork also to remove the tie rod ends.

I usually just reach right into the jar and grab the pickles with my hand.... :question: Wouldn't they just unscrew from the tie rod? From looking at it with my untrained eye it seems that if I just take off the drivers side rod end, unthread the Tie Rod Link and put it back together with the new link. And hopefully the snapped thread comes out with it...

• In order to take off the one tierod a pickle fork will be needed. Once you pull the castle nut and cotter pin off of the tierod end you will neeed to wedge the pickle fork inbetween the tre and the knuckle and beat it with a hammer to get it to pop out. It is a pressed fit. Dont beat on the bottom of the tre or you will damage the threads. Once you have the new piece installed thread the tre back on, instert in hole and tighten down with castle nut, then insert cotter pin.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Will I need a specfic size pickle fork? I just did a quick search and see there are multiple sizes. I'm learning as I go with all the DIY jeep stuff.

• Before you buy a fork loosen the nut until it is only on by a few threads then hit the knuckle where the tre bolts through with a big hammer 2 or 3 times. Usually it will break the taper and the end will drop free.

• Ive only got two of them. One has longer ends and it narrow the other is a bit shorter with a wider gap in the end. I tend to use the longer narrow one more on stock jeeps stuff but a wider one will still work when i cant find the other(Which happens alot in my disaster of a garage). :mrgreen: Spedlys way also works more often than not also but ive boogered up some threads that way. But then again I can get a bit aggressive with a hammer.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• I like hitting stuff with hammers so I'll try Spedly way first before I run out and spend more money. I ordered the new Tie Rod Link and should be at the house by Thursday the lasted. I'm just crossing my fingers thats all I need. It never seems to go that way...

• My alignment is off and my steering is off centered but should this be safe to casually drive with until I get the part to fix it? If not I need to make arrangements to get to work.

• My alignment is off and my steering is off centered but should this be safe to casually drive with until I get the part to fix it? If not I need to make arrangements to get to work.

Not exactly sure what this piece does.

But if something on the steering linkage is broken, I wouldn't drive it.

• Not exactly sure what this piece does.

But if something on the steering linkage is broken, I wouldn't drive it.

Thats the part that snapped and all I really know about it is thats what is suppose to turn when I need to adjust my alignment. When the new one goes on it will be coated in plenty of Anti-Seize. I also order the Tierod nut and washer that I saw in the diagram. I would hate to get it apart and that be stripped or snapped as well. Well I made it to work alive and will take it easy driving home but keep it parked until repaired.

• Ive only got two of them. One has longer ends and it narrow the other is a bit shorter with a wider gap in the end. I tend to use the longer narrow one more on stock jeeps stuff but a wider one will still work when i cant find the other(Which happens alot in my disaster of a garage). :mrgreen: Spedlys way also works more often than not also but ive boogered up some threads that way. But then again I can get a bit aggressive with a hammer.

Thats why you leave the nut on a few threads.

• You don't strike the tie rod you strike the knuckle. Unless you absolutely suck at using a hammer there's no way to damage the threads.

This has usually worked well for me. :up:

When you put the ends back on, count the exposed threads before you remove them from the bad rod and match it on the new one. Doing this, the alignment measured out perfectly when I replaced a bent tie rod on my JK.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!