• So for you tent campers or those of you that used to be real campers.... :innocent:

I'm looking into buying a new tent and this year I am going to fork up a little extra to buy a nice 3 person tent. Enough room for me, wife and gear. I've looked at a lot of tents at this point but wanted to ask you guys to see if you had any experience with a specific brand. I'm looking into buying the EMS Sugar Shack 3, anyone have any good or bad luck with EMS tents? I set it up in the store and it went up in under 3 minutes and seems like a solid well thought out tent. Just trying to justify spending $300 on a tent.. :laughing:
    http://www.ems.com/product/ind…11359840.11359856.3688055

• So for you tent campers or those of you that used to be real campers.... :innocent:

I'm looking into buying a new tent and this year I am going to fork up a little extra to buy a nice 3 person tent. Enough room for me, wife and gear. I've looked at a lot of tents at this point but wanted to ask you guys to see if you had any experience with a specific brand. I'm looking into buying the EMS Sugar Shack 3, anyone have any good or bad luck with EMS tents? I set it up in the store and it went up in under 3 minutes and seems like a solid well thought out tent. Just trying to justify spending $300 on a tent.. :laughing:
    http://www.ems.com/product/ind…11359840.11359856.3688055 :down:

A DIOS MIO!!! Bro I bought a Coleman 6 person tent 8+ years ago from Dick's Sporting and I haven't yet had a problem with it tearing or leaking. I think I paid about $75 in the off-season b/c it was on sale like 40% off. I can set it up in 5 mins too (if conditions required it :mrgreen: ). I wouldn't spend that kind of coin on a tent unless I'm attempting to tackle Everest. I only use it when the wife and kids are with me.

I prefer this: http://www.eaglesnestoutfitter…m/product/SINGLENEST.html I put my sleeping bag in it when it's cold and just take a blanket when it's not so cold. I also bought bug netting for a cot that I use over the hammock. I don't have a "travel-with bug repellent" when I'm camping solo or if it's a guys only weekend. I used to just curl up in my sleeping bag by the campfire in my younger days but not so much anymore.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• I currently have a Coleman 6 person tent thats about 7 years old. My dog decided to make her on door a couple years ago and a duct tape fix can only go so long. The 6 person tent proves to be way to big just for 2 of us and is usually the manison on the campsite..lol Coleman makes a 3 person tent simliar to the EMS one but it has sleeve's for the poles (which suck), 1 door with the 1 vestibule for gear and sneakers and such and it cost under $100. Which for the money might be a better option but when you compare them side by side there is a compareable difference in material thickness, weight (if you plan on back packing), ventalation/ breathablity. But for a 3rd of the price it might be worth buying and replacing every 3-5 years.
    http://www.coleman.com/product/2000001590

• That thing better have a bathroom in it for that much. As long as the tent is strong enough to support a tarp ( because I dont care how badass a tent is, if its raining Im using a tarp ) then its just fine in my book. You dont want to be that guy crying because some drunk asshole stepped on your 300 tent at bigdogs :mrgreen:

go check out dicks
    man that doesnt sound right

now the coleman looks cool!

• Have you checked out campsaver.com? I got my Sierra Designs there for less than $200, and have been thrilled with it. Downpours, high winds no problems. Quality materials, quick and easy setup and breakdown. Having spent nights in our current tents from Marmot and Sierra Designs, and some in box store brands, I can say from experience that the extra money is worth is. Just a thought - http://www.campsaver.com/yahi-…person-3-season-clearance

• That thing better have a bathroom in it for that much. As long as the tent is strong enough to support a tarp ( because I dont care how badass a tent is, if its raining Im using a tarp ) then its just fine in my book. You dont want to be that guy crying because some drunk asshole stepped on your 300 tent at bigdogs :mrgreen:

go check out dicks
    man that doesnt sound right

:laughabove: What you do at big dogs is your business..

I see your point with having an expensive tent around drunk people, which a lot of times goes hand in hand with camping with friends.

• Have you checked out campsaver.com? I got my Sierra Designs there for less than $200, and have been thrilled with it. Downpours, high winds no problems. Quality materials, quick and easy setup and breakdown. Having spent nights in our current tents from Marmot and Sierra Designs, and some in box store brands, I can say from experience that the extra money is worth is. Just a thought - http://www.campsaver.com/yahi-…person-3-season-clearance

I agree, with everything you get what you pay for. I have a few weeks before needing one so I have more researching to do. Thanks for the links, I haven't looked here yet.

• :laughabove: What you do at big dogs is your business..

I see your point with having an expensive tent around drunk people, which a lot of times goes hand in hand with camping with friends.

The sad thing is the only trouble Ive had with drunk people falling on my tent was at rausch creek :doh:

• Fact: Coleman quality is NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE. I returned a tent after a terrible experience in WV where water was literally running through the tent walls, not to mention the seams. And it was one of the "best" tents they offer. This is the reason I built my current trailer tent. Do not buy a new Coleman.

• Fact: Coleman quality is NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE. I returned a tent after a terrible experience in WV where water was literally running through the tent walls, not to mention the seams. And it was one of the "best" tents they offer. This is the reason I built my current trailer tent. Do not buy a new Coleman.

^^Have to agree. Nothing that they make anymore is the quality it used to be. Unfortunately that can be said for most manufacturers these days.

Here's 2 more sites to check out:

http://www.campmor.com/?002=21…2611967674&007=Search&008=

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/Main.aspx?

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

[size=3]Considering that ALL the camping websites that I've visited to look at tents don't even carry Coleman definitely shows that they are not a reputable manufacturer anymore. [/size]

• I looked at the EMS tents and think they are a great value. If I was to get another regular tent, it would likely be from EMS. Just be a little careful of Campmor and make sure you know exactly what you are buying. And my opinion, if you intend to really use the tent, why not spend the money to get a good one. A bad tent can easily ruin a trip no matter what the situation is.

http://www.ems.com/product/ind…11359840.11359856.3688055

I bought the previous version of that same tent. It's great! Easy to put up and enough room for our gear. My only complaint was that I couldn't stand up to get dressed. no biggie :up:

• EMS, REI, and back country are all good places. Ems is going to have mostly their own brand. I have a very old tent and am looking to get something newer and slightly larger.
    Coleman is junk, and hasnt ever really been good. If you can buy it at Walmart it's usually not worth owning.
    Serria designs and black diamond are my favorite back packing tents.
    SMS makes a few real nice tents for a good price. There is a place in Towson that has a lot of good gear, the name is escaping me right now.

• I scanned the thread and didn't see Eureka or Kelty mentioned. They have been AWESOME for me.
    I honestly can't say a bad thing about either brand other than maybe the prices can be a little steep.

This is one item that I firmly believe you will get value in paying a little more up front and having a long lasting product.
    Not to mention the hell you will have to endure if your POS tent leaks or sags.

• going on 12 years in my Eureka. Still good as new. Would say I have camped more than 100 days in it.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!