Extremely aggressive tires

• I really like my Rockers as a great all around trail tire. They are also extremely tough, especially on the sidewalls.

They may be a little heavy for that axle set up but dollar for dollar, I've found them to be a bargain.

OK, this gives me pause, given this rig's history of chewing up axle shafts ...

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

Edited once, last by altierior ().

• OK, this gives me pause, given this rig's history of chewing up axle shafts ...

Seeing how you have had the MT'Rs I would try something different and since it is a trail rig I would go with the pitbulls, although I like both those tires. I have enjoyed the pitbulls so far and they do drive well on the street. The pitbulls are also surprisingly quiet.
    its hard to choose, I would weigh the pros and cons of each.

Cj-

My vote- Pitbulls

• Seeing how you have had the MT'Rs I would try something different and since it is a trail rig I would go with the pitbulls, although I like both those tires. I have enjoyed the pitbulls so far and they do drive well on the street. The pitbulls are also surprisingly quiet.
    its hard to choose, I would weigh the pros and cons of each.
    Cj-
    My vote- Pitbulls

Take it for what it is worth as I have never run Pitbulls, but, I think between their weight and super grip, your current axle issues are going to look like a walk in the park compared to what they will be with those bad boys on there.

• FWIW here's my $.02...take it how you may.

I've personally run 36" Iroks and 37" krawlers on my rig, have wheeled Jen's w/ 35" kevlar MT/R's, and wheeled with Billy enough to see the performance of his rockers. For my money the next set of tires I purchase will very likely be a set of 40" MT/R's...and this coming from the fact that the days my rig remains on the road are numbered. :shrug:

'Overall' performance (street, mud, rock, dirt) I'd rate them:

1 kevlar MT/R (good 'all-around'...yeah, I like/liked them that much)
    2 krawler (they're awesome on the 'crete and rocks but as others have stated mud, snow, and loose/damp dirt are their achilles heel)
    3 rockers (not the greatest on 'crete, almost a wash w/ the krawler on rocks, kickass in the loose stuff/mud. That and they're heavy/wide MFr's)
    4 iroks (decent but honestly was never really memorable performance anywhere IMHO)

Keep in mind I've never spent enough time around the Maxxis stuff to have a 'valid' opinion on them.

--Ian

• FWIW here's my $.02...take it how you may....
    For my money the next set of tires I purchase will very likely be a set of 40" MT/R's...and this coming from the fact that the days my rig remains on the road are numbered. :shrug:

I'm not sure what you mean here... :shrug:
    Are you saying that you'd get the MT/Rs BECAUSE you are still on the road (for now, at least)? Or that you actually would prefer them over others on a trail-only rig?

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• I'm not sure what you mean here... :shrug:
    Are you saying that you'd get the MT/Rs BECAUSE you are still on the road (for now, at least)? Or that you actually would prefer them over others on a trail-only rig?

His Jeep will eventually be trail only but he is confident enough in the MTR's off road that he would still buy them now. I couldn't agree more.

I know I can google or research this but does Goodyear make a sticky version of the MTR? Anyone know? I'd assume the Ultra 4 MTR guys use stickies. :shrug:

• I know I can google or research this but does Goodyear make a sticky version of the MTR? Anyone know? I'd assume the Ultra 4 MTR guys use stickies. :shrug:

Googling now. ;D

~ JD

• MTRs come in Stickies but ive never seen them in anything less than a 40" tire. I serouisly considered the MTRs, but for the price of the 40" Non-stickies, I picked up a used set of comp treps... Maxxis and BFG are are the only ones Ive seen below 40" in the sticky variety. Additonally Stickies arent always available to the public. Maxxis only gives them to competitors. BFG will sell them to the public but they are $$$.
    Ive watched Sal walk up some stuff on his 33 mtrs that others with larger tires struggle on. Id say get the standard MTRs and be done.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Ive watched Sal walk up some stuff on his 33 mtrs that others with larger tires struggle on. Id say get the standard MTRs and be done.

I've been denied some obstacles at RC on these 35 Pro-Comps that I easily walked up on my 33 MT/Rs on my other XJ. I'm awaiting a return call from my tire supplier after he tries to locate some of the MT/R stickies. If he can't, I think I'll go with the regular Kevlar MT/Rs. I DO love them.

~ JD

• I have been liking my 37" Creepies. I have tried/been denied on Shoot the Moon numerous times when I ran the old style 35" MTR's. The creepies went right up. I believe there is a 35 for a 15" rim also. They are heavy though, and sticky-up really quickly in the rocks too. D30 axle shafts may not survive long.

• I didn't really see the big deal in splitting it.

And the first post post in the split thread is from the OP of the original thread.

Just doesn't really make sense. :shrug:

Read the last post in that thread.

from post #33 in this thread onward should probably be its own thread "Gearing the trail rig" or some such title. :up:

I'm just doing your job and trying to help the OP. :razz:

Now you jacked his thread again. :laughing:

• I didn't really see the big deal in splitting it.

And the first post post in the split thread is from the OP of the original thread.

Just doesn't really make sense. :shrug:

:laughing: I was fine with it either way. After Billy's mention that the thread was jacked, I realized that the thread had gone off in a different direction - from a discussion specifically about tires, to one specifically about gearing - and regardless of who initiated the new conversation, it makes PERFECT SENSE for the two topics to have their own threads. Different topics, different threads. I have seen it dozens of times wherein threads get split because they veer off-topic.

Jeez. What's the big deal? :o

~ JD

• I'm just doing your job and trying to help the OP. :razz:

The BOD has to give the Mods a chance to do their job. It's a thread about tires, that got into gearing, etc. Hardly a crisis issue.

One of the primary points to the creation of the DEJA Moderators was to take it off the BOD so they could spend there time on other things. (Changing by-laws, planning events, etc.) :innocent:

And yes, a further hijack. That's all I have to add to this or the other thread.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!