Extremely aggressive tires

• I'm thinking about tires for my trail rig. Since it never sees the street, of course I don't care about smooth ride or quietness or long wear. I want the most aggressive, capable off-road tires I can get. I'm thinking I should have something really sticky, maybe even competition level tires to get the very best performance possible. Any recommendations? I know I'm better off with bias. Pit bull? Maxxis? BFG Krawlers? Baja Claws?

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

Edited once, last by altierior ().

• John, have wheel'd with many guys running Krawlers, dry weather they seem to rule, however you can almost buy 2 sets of another brand for what they cost. I ve had rockers, iroks and mtrs, all been good tires, dont think you could go wrong with any.

• John, have wheel'd with many guys running Krawlers, dry weather they seem to rule, however you can almost buy 2 sets of another brand for what they cost. I ve had rockers, iroks and mtrs, all been good tires, dont think you could go wrong with any.

So you've helped me narrow it down to three... Thanks a lot. :razz:

Seriously, though, we've wheeled together plenty of times, so you know I wheel the same stuff as you, including rain, snow, ice; none of it keeps me home. Did one perform better than the others? Of the ones you mentioned, do you have a favorite?

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Paging Aaron...

~ JD

• I liked the radial claws I had. They really dug in (literally). They wear out fast though but that doesn't seem to be your concern. I actually had a 1/4" clevis pin stuck in mine and it held air after a full day of wheeling and traveling back from Paragon; very soft rubber. The other problem is they run considerably smaller than their advertised size.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• skip the claws.

get Iroks or creepy crawlers

skip both of these :). if you are sticking to a 35 or smaller you cant get a sticky. i think the best all around bullitproof tire is an interco super swamper sx. if you want something with better street manners go mtr. if you want rocks but not so good in mud krawlers or creepys. personally i think the irok has a soft sidewall and cuts easy and thr bfg is much better then the creepy in the wet stuff, but still not a great mud tire.

btw, if you want to go with the krawlers i can make you a good deal on the 5 that i have.

• So you've helped me narrow it down to three... Thanks a lot. :razz:

Seriously, though, we've wheeled together plenty of times, so you know I wheel the same stuff as you, including rain, snow, ice; none of it keeps me home. Did one perform better than the others? Of the ones you mentioned, do you have a favorite?

I like the Iroks, never have had aproblem with sidewall etc. and I put alot more trails miles on than most.

• ... bfg is much better then the creepy in the wet stuff, but still not a great mud tire.

btw, if you want to go with the krawlers i can make you a good deal on the 5 that i have.

I don't do mud much anymore. Let's talk about that deal... Are they 35s? pm me some info. thanks :up:

~ JD

• Iroks are only worth anything at under 8 psi IMO so if you plan on running those you need beadlocks lined up. Anything above that and you get this balloon shape out of the things.

• Some 37" SSRs would be sweet, I happen to know a guy with set ;)

But whats your budget? Tons of choices but there is also a wide price range... My friend just put on some 35" creepy crawlers and I was extremely impressed with the performance of those tires for a DOT tire. If budget was not a concern, I personally would be looking at a trep or creepy crawler.

• Some 37" SSRs would be sweet, I happen to know a guy with set ;)

Oh, yeah, I should have mentioned that the tires on the rig right now are 35x12.5. The wheel diameter is somewhat irrelevant, because I HATE the sim-beadlocks that are on there now and would likely be replacing them with something in a size appropriate for the new or new-to-me tires.

Agreed, 37s would be sweet, but I'm still on a 3.55 D30, so that's already pushing or exceeding its limitations with 35s. Besides that, I'm sure that anything larger than 35s would cause clearance issues. I'm not sure about the width, but I suspect that wider than 12.5 would also be problematic.

I realize that my size limitations will cause me limitations as to choices. Some of the top tires aren't even manufactured in the size I need.

~ JD

• But whats your budget? Tons of choices but there is also a wide price range... My friend just put on some 35" creepy crawlers and I was extremely impressed with the performance of those tires for a DOT tire. If budget was not a concern, I personally would be looking at a trep or creepy crawler.

As to budget, I'm certainly not wealthy, but I'm willing to spend to get what I want. It's not that money is no object - I certainly wouldn't spend $700/tire - but money is definitely NOT the primary deciding factor. Given two tires that are somewhat comparable in performance, of course I'd go with the less-expensive choice.

~ JD

• Pitbull Rockers Bias do come in 35x12.50R15LT

BFG crawlers pack full of mud and are useless, they do good on rocks, i was suprised to see how well the new MTR's do, even though you don’t want to do mud, but the rockers have done well and there are quite a few jeeps in the Vt club that swear by the rockers for the best all-around mud, rock, snow, mixtures.... I’ve personally seen mickey Thompsons get ripped on the sidewalls with sticks on the trail, the tires were only a few weeks old..….

Cj-

• Pitbull Rockers Bias do come in 35x12.50R15LT

I'm kinda leaning in this direction. And the price is better than some of the other choices.

~ JD

• i was suprised to see how well the new MTR's do,

I have those on my DD, which I used to wheel extensively on some of the more hardcore trails, and I love them. I definitely wouldn't mind getting those. But part of my decision to buy those in the first place was because of the versatility for trails AND street. So once I take street out of the equation, I am looking at other options that were previously not a choice for me. That doesn't necessarily take the Kevlar MTRs out of the running. They are extremely capable, as anyone who has wheeled with me can attest.

~ JD

• I typed this before you posted your last two (EDIT: three) posts but I'll post it anyway. LOL

there are quite a few jeeps in the Vt club that swear by the rockers for the best all-around mud, rock, snow, mixtures....

I really like my Rockers as a great all around trail tire. They are also extremely tough, especially on the sidewalls. They suck on the concrete of the comp course but that isn't what I bought them for. The radial version of the Rocker looks very nice as well.

Krawlers are amazing on rocks but are horrible in snow and mud. I'm really digging the Maxxis creepy crawlers and Treps but those things are EXPENSIVE! :o

You already know this John but those MTR's work very well as well. I think they are by far, the best all around tire. Just my opinion though.

I'm kinda leaning in this direction. And the price is better than some of the other choices.

They may be a little heavy for that axle set up but dollar for dollar, I've found them to be a bargain.

• I really like my Rockers as a great all around trail tire...
    You already know this John but those MTR's work very well as well. I think they are by far, the best all around tire.

OK, so between these two? I know there is no definitive answer, but UGH, this is tough.

~ JD

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!