06 TJ Jeep Mod Questions

• Hiya!

Haven't been on here in a while. I own a 06 Rubicon stock with manual trans. Had her since she was a baby. Awwww...
    She is pretty darn capable stock so I didn't see the need to change anything...I went on trail rides with other moderately modified jeeps with no issues.

Well now its been a few years and she needs new suspension parts and tires anyways so an thinking why not upgrade? Oh and I now have stock DW, lovely. Not a pro at this but I think it’s because my shocks, tires and brakes are totally spent.

I am thinking I really do not want to get involved with BB's. I want to replace the suspension...coil springs and shocks for a moderate lift, ideally fitting 33's with no rubbing issues. After a week or so of research on lift options, my head is spinning with all of the variances and ancillary parts that could be needed. SYE? MML? Longer brake lines? Extended sway bar links? Trackbar extension?

So here's where I need feedback and assistance please:

[li] Lift: 2.5" OME kit or other suggestions, but i definitely want OME shocks [/li]
      [li] Tires: 33" - wanted to use my stock Rubicon rims - BFG A/T or MTR's or other suggestions...oh and I have seen threads about back spacers and bump stops...I get the concept, however I have no clue if I will need these or not.[/li]
      [li] Steering Stabilizer: ? was told I need one[/li]
      [li]Labor for suspension install: ? recommendations for the Newark area [/li]
      [li] Brakes: looking for recommendations here on rotors, drums and pads. This much I can do myself (thanks dad for making me learn how) just wanted to see if anyone has anything to say about brands to stay away from...excess dust, rotor cracking etc[/li]

Thank you in advance for your advice.

• old man emu makes very high quality products. you should be happy with them, but you will pay for them. matching their springs and shocks typically give a very nice ride, i have only read good reviews. they are made by ARB which is a very well respected company.

since you have a rubicon, you will not need a slip yoke eliminator, besides, many people can get away with a 2-3 inch lift with out needing one regardless of rubicon/non-rubicon.

the mml will raise the engine about an inch which will lower the rear of your transfercase and helpe your rear pinon angle. again, with 2.5 inches of lift, you likelywill not need this.

front brake line extensons are a good idea and not costly, the rear will not be needed them due to the path of the brake line.

with 2.5 inches, you should be ok with your current sway bar links not need need the track bar extension.

springs and shocks are fairly simple to change, someone on here should be able to help. since you have death wobble, you want to try to identify what is causing it. it may be bad bushings on control arms or your track bar. talk to Spedly on here about DW and his issues.

good luck

• Definitely find what is causing your death wobble before you go changing a bunch of stuff. Death wobble is caused by worn or loose suspension and steering components. True death wobble is violent and requires you to pretty much come to a complete stop for it to go away. Bad tire,rotors or bent wheels and cause the steering wheel the shimmy or wobble but that isn't death wobble.

• Definitely find what is causing your death wobble before you go changing a bunch of stuff. Death wobble is caused by worn or loose suspension and steering components. True death wobble is violent and requires you to pretty much come to a complete stop for it to go away. Bad tire,rotors or bent wheels and cause the steering wheel the shimmy or wobble but that isn't death wobble.

Find the wobble if you are going to piece together a lift.

Personally, for all you want to do, a full lift kit may be best and the installation of that kit done properly will fix your wobble. The manufacturers that designed and built the kits tested them so everything works together properly.
    If you piece things, you may have a bad time. Just sayin.

For installation, PM astape. He is up near you.

• Thanks for all the info

I agree that I need to diagnose my DW.

So this is the best I can describe it. I drive and when I hit a slight bump in the road the wobble begins. Usually at 35-40. It's a violent shake. At times it gets really bad. The whole vehicle shakes side to side not just a steerin wheel shimmy. I don't necessarily need to come to a full stop to tame it. I down shift or just go to neutral and apply the brake lightly to slow down and usually it becomes a less violent shake, then a shimmy, then I reengage the gear and am good to go until the next bump. I have gotten to the point where I know what roads my jeep shakes on and avoid those. I work from home so I don't do a daily commute and take the jeep out for close errands.

I'll take a look at the control arms tomorrow.

• You might want to check your track bar bushing and see if it is worn out.
    You can have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth, look at the axle side mount for movement and at the frame.
    Make sure the bolts are tight as well.
    Worn ball joints could also cause it.

Mark

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!