Air Bag Springs for a TJ

• Thanks for all the replies and good info there guys! I have been trying to feel out exactly what the wife is gonna do in the Jeep and seeings as how I have never seen her offroad, I think i have decided on (still arguing with myself in my head) making up my own long arm setup with johnny joints and lift coil springs and shocks on stock axles until i figure out what she needs to enjoy wheeling. Then once she get bit by the wheeling bug I might be able to talk her into a vacation to Moab ;D

If you need wrenching advice feel free to ask! Others experience can be a good way to save time and money!

• Oris and suspension seats made a 6+ hour day of high speed wash, whoops, jumps and hard crawling enjoyable. With stock suspension and stock seats I would have been in pain, with modified suspension and suspension seats I would have been tired and worn out. With oris and suspension seats I just wanted to go out and do it again.

Btw, 4.0s love spending 30 minutes bouncing off the rev limiter!

• a custom 4 link is a good start. i have built a few of them. i perfer the larger 2-5/8 johny joint style joints, but large heims from company like roughstuff are a close second. dont be affraid to start cutting things up to make it fit correctly. i perfer double triangulated in the rear on if you are not going full hydro in front a 3 link with panhard is a good set up. many companys make good brackets and expect to mod them to make them fit but they are a good start and they will save you a lot of time. unless you got a lot of time look for the prefab stuff. companies with good stuff: artec, roughstuff, balistic fab(beware you will find many negative reviews on theses guys but they are trying to do better) and trail gear. hth

aaron

• Reading my mind there astape, am planning on doing the double triangulated rear with a 3 link front (upper link coming from the drivers side). Not going that heavy duty on the johnny's though, going small for the uppers, 2", and lowers at 2.5". Gonna cut up the belly skid and fab a new skid plate to bring the t-case up and get a little more clearance, while integrating the transmember to recieve the second triangulation from the lower arms. Going to make all the brackets from plate stock, since i'm cheap, and only putting money into the project as i have it to spare means i have lots of time too LOL. Got a hell of a deal off ebay the other day, 4 of the 2" johnny's for 36 bucks.

If you need wrenching advice feel free to ask! Others experience can be a good way to save time and money!

• if you get to wilmington you can check my set up out. you may want the third link on the passenger side to avoid the stearing, driveshaft and exhaust. it works on either side. ill post up a few pixs of the one i built a few weeks ago.

aaron

• not great pics of the rear but you get the idea. this jeep has a tube frame built to cj7dimetions.

• Sure man i'd like to stop by sometime. I see why you have the passenger side upper link for the 3 link. My tj is a drivers side drop though. I'll have to look cuz i could still do a pass side drop....

• Sure man i'd like to stop by sometime. I see why you have the passenger side upper link for the 3 link. My tj is a drivers side drop though. I'll have to look cuz i could still do a pass side drop....

I don't get it. How and why would you change the drop side on a TJ?

Why not just truss the pumpkin and put the upper link on the drivers side?

• Doesnt matter what side the drop is for the upper link. Just build the upper link on the side that it fits best.

Aaron

• Doesnt matter what side the drop is for the upper link. Just build the upper link on the side that it fits best.

Aaron

On a "semi-normal" TJ, the drivers side fits best. A long arm three link with passenger upper will hit a couple things IIRC....the starter and/or starter solenoid is one thing among others.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!