New Stereo

• I just bought a new Kenwood receiver I will be installing Tuesday.. Its a KDC-x796... With HD Radio and built in Blue tooth and Audio streaming. Anyone have much experience hands free blue tooth in a Jeep? Especially with the top down? It does have a ext Mic. that I figure wll mount under the rear view mirror (good Spot). It also has an Android app and Pandora controls.

Also, how is the HD reception in the Newark area?

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• From experience I can tell you that Bluetooth radios can be a pain in the arse. Mainly because the frequency between the two jump in and out because you are in fact moving. It works ok for phone calls occasionally if need be, however your speakers should be turned up a bit more obviously to hear the person speak. The one you have however looks rather decent, especially Kenwood.

This is usually where you put a signature, instead I'll let everyone know I am looking for a CJ8 Scrambler.

• From experience I can tell you that Bluetooth radios can be a pain in the arse. Mainly because the frequency between the two jump in and out because you are in fact moving. It works ok for phone calls occasionally if need be, however your speakers should be turned up a bit more obviously to hear the person speak. The one you have however looks rather decent, especially Kenwood.

Since the BT is integrated into the Stereo , there is no interference from local radio stations. (not like those little FM transmitters.) I will be pairing it with a Samsung S3. When the BT is active, it uses only the front speakers and mutes/pauses any music you are listening to. I'm just hoping that the loudness of the Jeep is suppressed and I can be heard over the ambient noise.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

• I tried using one of those ear piece blue tooth things in my Jeep and found the Jeep was too noisy for me to hear and also too noisy for the person on the other end to hear. It wasn't a quality ear piece though. I've heard the Jawbone ones are supposed to be good.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• My parents both have BT devices in their cars. They're not tied into the stereo but the one thing I hate about them is I hear myself talking (reverb?) when they use them. That's with a small wireless speaker clipped to the visor so I'd hate to hear what stereo speakers might do. Then again the mic is probably better quality so that may help reduce the background noise.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Bluetooth works fine in my BMW but I pull over to use the cell phone in my Jeep as it is too noisy. Hearing the radio is tough enough with top down and my hearing is not good.

• i have that same one, the HD goes in and out depending where youare. you will get 98 rock adn some others but 102.9 comes in for me further up the road. its a cool head unit. Idid have some problems with the HD with an echo sort of. reception came in well then a little while later it would almost play over itself with a delay. it was frustrating. it was also mostly with 102.9 but has cleared itself up. on rt 1 in pa, 98 rock goes out in HD on rt. 472 and 102.9 cones in around 896 going northbound. enjoy it

• i have that same one, the HD goes in and out depending where youare. you will get 98 rock adn some others but 102.9 comes in for me further up the road. its a cool head unit. Idid have some problems with the HD with an echo sort of. reception came in well then a little while later it would almost play over itself with a delay. it was frustrating. it was also mostly with 102.9 but has cleared itself up. on rt 1 in pa, 98 rock goes out in HD on rt. 472 and 102.9 cones in around 896 going northbound. enjoy it

How well does the BT work with the top off? Where did you mount the MIC?

• Steve, nice looking stereo. I've also got a Kenwood unit in my Jeep...not quite as nice as yours. But, I love the thumb drive port. That's how I listen to 99 percent of my music. I've never used the remote control, though.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• my 2012 has bluetooth, the mic is where the upper door/roll bar/windshield come together. works fine even at highway speed with top closed, and ok 45 and below with top open (doors on, windows up) any other combo it's not very effective

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!