If you could do 1 locker?

• So if I could put one locker in my jeep should I do the front D30 or the rear D44? Which provides the best result with the least amount of stress?

I'm pretty sure I want a selectable E-Locker. ARB would be nice but price range is high.

• Rear with the 30 front on 37's.

Thanks, I forgot to mention the fact I'll be on 37's.
    C's are already gusseted and I'll be adding axle sleeves to the D30. I just need to figure out if I want to go weld-in or "slide" in.

• Thanks guys. So I'll roll with the plan of an Eaton E-Locker in the rear, Sleeve the fron Axle, and possibly finally upgrading my front driveshaft.

• I agree with Bill on the rear, but not ARB, have had several including now (front and rear) never had a problem.

Yeah Bill, there definitely are some people they've worked for but it seems like people either love ARB or hate ARB. ARB customer service is second to none but over the years, I stopped counting the times there was an ARB failure on the trail. Granted most of the time it was installation errors but between o-rings leaking, air lines and compressors failing, and many more that weren't diagnosed on the trail, I'm in the hater category.

I've said this before but you can tell if someone has an ARB because they are constantly yelling out the window to the spotter asking if their locker is on. :innocent:

So far for a selectable, I'm pretty impressed with the E-lockers with very few if any failures that I can think of.

• Since he daily drives it I'd recommend against this.

Mine gives me no grief at all. I think Detroits get a bad rap on daily drivers. Just a little getting used to thats all.. On the other hand a shorter wheelbase jeep might feel it a bit more.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• SWB and manual transmissions are not a good match for a rear Detroit. Doable, yes... but selectable is worth the extra money.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• SWB and manual transmissions are not a good match for a rear Detroit. Doable, yes... but selectable is worth the extra money.

Interesting, since i moved to a slush box, the Detroit does seem tamer.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• While I like the idea of having on board air that would come with the ARB I dont have the cash for all of the extra it costs for ARB and rather just keep my setup simple. Simple has been working pretty good for me up to this part. :rolleyes:

With the detriot locker, I'd rather not have to get used to it and just spend the extra coin for the selectable. Plus I've secretly always wanted cool flipping rocker switches in my cockpit...

• Interesting, since i moved to a slush box, the Detroit does seem tamer.

What's your wheelbase, around 103"? My XJ was ~101" with auto trans and the Detroit was tame for me. You'd get some steering fun in long curves if you let off the gas, but that was it. The most noticeable thing for manual trans SWB rigs is that it'll unlock and lock when you shift because the "auto lockers" activate under torque. Not a big deal, except when you're shifting in a turn... you wouldn't think that a 8" shorter wheelbase made a difference, but it does seem to.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• While I like the idea of having on board air that would come with the ARB I dont have the cash for all of the extra it costs for ARB and rather just keep my setup simple. Simple has been working pretty good for me up to this part. :rolleyes:

With the detriot locker, I'd rather not have to get used to it and just spend the extra coin for the selectable. Plus I've secretly always wanted cool flipping rocker switches in my cockpit...

I was looking at the ARB air compressors (and others) recently. I decided to get their mini which is rated to only be able to power the lockers. They have 3 levels, but the highest is rated at like 3 CFM and is $500. That's not enough air for me to do it. I'd rather get their mini for $150, spend some cash on an inverter, and use electric. Or concede to using a CO2 tank. An air wrench is super nice, but I just don't want to carry all the sockets with me. With Rausch having air available and nearby gas stations elsewhere having air available, I've never been too concerned with filling tires.

• What's your wheelbase, around 103"? My XJ was ~101" with auto trans and the Detroit was tame for me. You'd get some steering fun in long curves if you let off the gas, but that was it. The most noticeable thing for manual trans SWB rigs is that it'll unlock and lock when you shift because the "auto lockers" activate under torque. Not a big deal, except when you're shifting in a turn... you wouldn't think that a 8" shorter wheelbase made a difference, but it does seem to.

I daily drove a manual with a detroit in the rear on a stock wheel base (TJ 93"). It had the torque steer when turning into a parking space, or being a douche off a stop sign turning onto a road. But never had any safety concerns .... maybe I just have low standards :roflmao:

• Plus I've secretly always wanted cool flipping rocker switches in my cockpit...

The ones that came with my E-Lockers were kinda lame so I got these.

The small lens lights when the ignition is on and the large lens lights when you engage it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!