Engine question?

• I have 1990 4.2 yj engine.
    Ok engine was making a little noise i would say around water pump area i though maybe it was pump going? but coming home from work on wednesday all of a sudden engine started making very bad knocking and other noise and by the time i got it to safe place off the road it lost all power and stalled!im going to drop oil pan tonight after i get home from seeing kids also going to pull the vavle cover. I did check oil it is ok ,rad is full i belive it is in lower part of motor?
    Looking for any kind of input on this ,if i have to go with reman rebuilt motor any input on who to buy from?

im sure this has been covered before if so maybe someone can hook me up with thread if not help :help:

Wayne

• without knowing how many miles you have on the engine ( i suspect over 150,000 ) it prob. going to be your timing chain and sprockets. if your not able to do this type of repair. then you should seek a qualified garage. the repair can be done in about ( 5 ) hrs. if you have parts and tools and a good place to work..

• Quick , buy the 95 XJ on the board and swap in the 4.0l AW4 ... done.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• without knowing how many miles you have on the engine ( i suspect over 150,000 ) it prob. going to be your timing chain and sprockets. if your not able to do this type of repair. then you should seek a qualified garage. the repair can be done in about ( 5 ) hrs. if you have parts and tools and a good place to work..

Motor has 172000 on it. Think you nailed it on the head?I just dropped oil pan and you can see timing chain and it is toast! going to replace!
    One more question is there a way to make sure valves did not hit pistons!

• That motor is about as far from a zero clearance motor that you can get. I highly doubt it banged a piston. Btw i did the swap for steve. The 4.0l motor with a few more parts will bolt in and then you have to wire it up. No need to run the auto if you dont want it.

Aaron

• Pull the head, and drop the pan, unbolt the connecting rods and push the pistons out. Check the crank and cylinder walls for scoring. If it all looks good slap it back together, replace the timing chain (and might as well do the water pump) and slap it back together.

If it were me, I'd send the head out for a rebuild (or find an HO head), check the cylinders and crank to make sure they are still within spec, send them out for work if needed, replace the rings and crank bearings, and slap it back together and run with it. :driving: I rebuilt mine about 50,000 miles ago and upgraded the cam while I was at it. The HO head and EFI came later but it was also a huge improvement. I gained a noticeable amount of top end. Probably could have done without the 4x4 cam I installed but what the hell. :shrug:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Edited once, last by Slimer ().

• Pull the head, and drop the pan, unbolt the connecting rods and push the pistons out. Check the crank and cylinder walls for scoring. If it all looks good slap it back together, replace the timing chain (and might as well do the water pump) and slap it back together.

If it were me, I'd send the head out for a rebuild (or find an HO head), check the cylinders and crank to make sure they are still within spec, send them out for work if needed, replace the rings and crank bearings, and slap it back together and run with it. :driving: I rebuilt mine about 50,000 miles ago and upgraded the cam while I was at it. The HO head and EFI came later but it was also a huge improvement. I gained a noticeable amount of top end. Probably could have done without the 4x4 cam I installed but what the hell. :shrug:

Aren't all 95 cherokees HO motors?

• he said he had a 1990. You can swap in a 1995 motor but you're getting a high milage motor that you don't know the history of. So how long will it last? He got 172,000 miles out of his. If you can find one with under 100,000 miles on it then go for it.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Time for a rebuild. Hesco is a good source for inline 6 motors. When I rebuild mine 15 ish years ago I had took it to Christiana Auto to do the machining and buy the rebuild kit from. Back then it cost about $1000 in parts and machine work (I think). I assembled it myself with the help of a friend. If I were to do it again I'd either buy one from a place like Hesco or do what Deadfeet did and find a good used motor from a Cherokee. The only issue with that is that you don't know how that used motor was treated by the previous owner. I think Whatever replaced his Cherokee motor with a used one and wasn't happy with the outcome.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Time for a rebuild. Hesco is a good source for inline 6 motors. When I rebuild mine 15 ish years ago I had took it to Christiana Auto to do the machining and buy the rebuild kit from. Back then it cost about $1000 in parts and machine work (I think). I assembled it myself with the help of a friend. If I were to do it again I'd either buy one from a place like Hesco or do what Deadfeet did and find a good used motor from a Cherokee. The only issue with that is that you don't know how that used motor was treated by the previous owner. I think Whatever replaced his Cherokee motor with a used one and wasn't happy with the outcome.
    [/quote Thanks I live a distance from you guys love the input I have guy in work he has friend that does machine work ,like head ,crank and he is going to cut crank and do whatever has to be done to head also tomorrow im dropping off all to be cleaned im talking everything ! then me and bob from work will put back together! I did all work up to know and loving it I will send pics to john!

• I can say.. I spent 4-5 weeks searching craigs list for my 93 xj. I used search tempest for a 300 mile radius for 91-95 odb1 xjs . I was picky but ended up with a real nice driver for $1500. It was a seond owner who used it as bad weather / utility truck. Was about 10 miles south of Baltimore. I even drove it for 2 weeks before we did the swap. I chose to swap in the aw4 auto since my t176 was on its last legs. Pm me with your number if you want to discuss the swap

Steve

Sent from my Galaxy S3 with Taptalk 2

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!