DEJA 2013 Spring Clean-up

• What: We'll be picking up trash on the beach and leaving it in bags to be picked up.

Who: We need as many people as possible! No experience necessary! All are welcome...put your kids to use!

Why: This area of the beach is sponsored by DEJA and we have a sign up by the dunes. Let's make it look good! Save the whales, <obligatory pictures of fish caught is 6 pack holders>, good stewards of the Earth, yada yada yada.

When: 5/18 starting around 10AM to around noon. After that we will be having our Spring Fling picnic at Casa De KnoxRents in Lewes. All members are welcome!

Where: It's just north of the Indian River Inlet, head north just a bit when you get on the beach. Someone correct my map if it's wrong: http://goo.gl/maps/OOApG

Post up if you have any questions, pm if you want me cell phone number to meet up in the morning.

edit by Stafford

---
    The following is an e-mail I received from Jen at the DNREC. I'd like to figure out a weekend where we can organize some volunteers.

I realize that schedules fill up quickly but if DEJA wants to continue this, we need to handle our end of the bargain. The last clean-up consisted of Surfrider alone I believe.

Let's try to figure out a date and if there isn't enough interest, I will pull our sponsorship pledge so DNREC can set up another sponsor.

I am available at the beach most weekends but I work half days in PA on Saturday mornings so it makes the timing a little tricky but will do my best to attend.

The info is below. Please post up and maybe we can figure out a date that works for everyone. We should do some fishing before and/or after. :fishing:

[quote author=Jen Luoma - DNREC]
    Adopt-A-Beach Spring Cleanup

Luoma, Jennifer L. (DNREC)
    12:25 PM (2 hours ago)

Now that spring is here and we are all looking towards our “Spring Cleaning,” we would like to remind those of you who have adopted a section of our coastline of the cleanup schedule for the Adopt- A – Beach Program.

Spring - April 15th - May 15th
    Fall - August 15 - September 15th

Please remember to contact your Area Contact prior to the date of your cleaning so they can schedule trash pickup. Also, don’t forget to submit the required Data Cards following each cleaning. I have attached one for your convenience. If you need more supplies or Data Cards, please contact me at (302) 739-9921 or e-mail Jennifer.Luoma@state.de.us.

I have had the intentions to get out and check the status of your Adopt-A-Beach signs, but have been having trouble finding the time. If you notice that your sign is missing or in need of repair, please let me know. Thanks!

Thank you for volunteering!

Jennifer L. Luoma
    DNREC, Division of Watershed Stewardship
    89 Kings Highway
    Dover, DE 19901
    (302) 739-9921[/quote]

• I think someone brought up the idea of doing it before the spring fling. I'm @ the beach all the time and I know my better half would be all about it. So count me in.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• I'd like to do one 5/18 before the spring fling. Sign ups here: http://www.delawareja.com/forum/index.php?topic=37273.0

That would be ideal if we can pull that off. I'd have to talk to Jen since it's outside their date range but I highly doubt that would be a problem.

Let's keep the discussion and sign-ups in this thread so the Spring Fling doesn't become a CF. ;)

• By the way I do agree with stafford about dumping the trash in the driveway... would be great for a bonfire haha. :roflmao:

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• That would be ideal if we can pull that off. I'd have to talk to Jen since it's outside their date range but I highly doubt that would be a problem.

Let's keep the discussion and sign-ups in this thread so the Spring Fling doesn't become a CF. ;)

She won't care. We did it outside the date range at least once in the past.

Main thing is returning the collection cards.

• Jen said she has no problems with us doing it on the 18th. I'll probably be getting ready for the Spring Fling but I will try to attend the clean-up as well.

Def in, hoping I can make it by start time. When would it start?

I don't know what's a good time? 10:00 seems like it would work well to clean up and get back for the Fling. :shrug:

• Right now, I'm in for the clean up. I'll have to get my beach tag before then... Doubt we can make the fling unfortunately.

• Bill - if you want to handle all the logistical stuff for the spring fling setup I can run with leading this.

That would be awesome. After thinking about it, if I left Lisa alone to set-up for the fling, my divorce would go from "pending" to "final". ;)

• I plan on making it down early for this. I might be Jeep-less or at least without a front ds/4wd so will need a ride on the beach and won't have room for trash.

Bill - if you want to handle all the logistical stuff for the spring fling setup I can run with leading this.

You can ride out with me if Bill doesn't loan you his 4 door that we can stack and leave all the trash in. Amanda won't be coming down with me this weekend.

• That would be awesome. After thinking about it, if I left Lisa alone to set-up for the fling, my divorce would go from "pending" to "final". ;)

Damn. She agreed the sell me 51% of the business in the divorce and I was allowed to change the sign out front to Kox Rentals. Slight change in the business model too as you can imagine.

• Ill probably be out there already but if not ill be there.... depending if I can get my gf out of bed that early... :bang:

• I will do it also. Do I need to be member first or can I just do it there?

All are welcome either way but if you want to join and if you are going to the Spring Fling, we can do it there instead. Otherwise, give it to Geoff and he'll get it to Ian and Jen.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!