WTB: Small daysailer sailboat

• I'm interested in teaching the Boy Scout merit badge "Small Boat Sailing" to my son's troop in Magnolia. Honestly, I'm not looking to own another sailboat just now....maybe later....but I realize the prospects of borrowing one for a few weeks are slim. So, I'm looking for a simple sloop-rigged boat like a Sunfish or Precision -- about 14 to 17 feet long. (A Lightning 19 is actually something I'd be interested in for myself long term.)

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• There is a place in Bailtormore Inner Harbor that teaches the class. I forget how much it is. I've looked into myself...

84 Cj 7 AMC 150, 4.5" BDS Lift, Twin Stick, BF Goodrich 35s...

98 Grand Limited (Wife's)
    ~Always interested in trades~

• Out of curiosity (and a free bump for you)....
    I'm thinking that I want to learn how to sail. Is it difficult, and what would you say is the best way to go about doing it? Do places offer lessons etc?

it's not hard, just not something i would recommend trying by yourself. i learned on a 14' sunfish and sailed a 16 foot twin sail racing boat (jackson i think) with my uncle....good times on the DE bay.

good luck with your search. wish i had a little sunfish to play with....

• Sorry I'm a little slow responding to the posts. I'd say sailing is like golf --- easy to understand, difficult to master. I used to have a MacGregor 25 -- at the time the largest trailerable sailboat in the world. MacGregor now makes a 26. IMHO, there's a somewhat therapeutic, zen thing about sailing.

I just happen to be at the Lewes Yacht Club this past week and noticed that they're starting a sailing class. Most yacht clubs will do that from time to time. My recommendation for a starter boat for an adult is one that is small and easy to handle, but which has a mainsail and jib. That rules out the Sunfish (I think). For my own use, I think I'd like to have a Lightning 19. It not only uses a jib, but also a genoa and even a spinnaker. Basically, that means you'll get the complete sailing experience...same as with the "big" boats.

Besides my own son Michael, several other Scouts in his BSA troop would like to learn to sail and earn the merit badge, so I thought I'd poke around and see if something is available (like a Sunfish, Laser or Oday).

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

Edited once, last by Chief57 ().

• I think I've seen sailboats as small as 19' come up from Fla to Summit North Marina. So yes 20 to 25' is a normal and quite adverage size sailboat for the ocean...

• Don't worry though. My fire company has a 25' Fireboat that we can use to come out and get you if you end up like this. This was a run I was on a few years back...

• My neighbor has a AMF Sunfish he said he will sell cheap. It needs alittle work but it doesnt look too bad. Give me your contact number and I'll have him call you.
    Thanks Glenn.

• Jim, on Peach Basket Road in Felton, there is a yellow small sailboat for sale. I think $1200 is on the sign. If we go by it today I'll stop and get a picture.

• A sail boat will actually right itself after it is 10 degrees( the mast that is) under the water, a keeled boat is designed to do that. Pretty cool I have been o a boat that we had to sail off anchor that was scary had the life rails underwater was only a 27 foot boat but righted it self no problem

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!