'81 CJ-7 fluids help

• Trying to finish up the project CJ-7 and need to know what fluids to use in both axles, the transmissions, and transfercase. The axles are standard, the trans is a 5 speed T-5 I believe, and the tcase has 2wheel, 4wheel hi, and 4wheel low. My Mitchells says 80w-90 front and rear axles and Dexron in the trans. That seemed odd to me so I wanna check with you guys.

1999 Grand Cherokee WJ 3" lift JK Moabs 31" tire
    1993 Grand Cherokee 7" Long Arm, Badgeless, SOLD
    1981 CJ-7 4" Lift, 31" MTR's, Pretty Blue

• Should not be putting atf in a manual trans. It should be a form of gl-5 gear oil in all items listed. 75-80w-90 should be good.

• Should not be putting atf in a manual trans. It should be a form of gl-5 gear oil in all items listed. 75-80w-90 should be good.

Not to start an argument or anything, and I don't have the mechanical knowledge but;

The service manual says: AMC ATF or equivalent labeled Dextron II.
    This is from my 1982 Technical Service Manual.
    Since they don't make Dextron II anymore, I researched and found that Dextron III will work.
    That's what I used.

• Not to start an argument or anything, and I don't have the mechanical knowledge but;

The service manual says: AMC ATF or equivalent labeled Dextron II.
    This is from my 1982 Technical Service Manual.
    Since they don't make Dextron II anymore, I researched and found that Dextron III will work.
    That's what I used.

They issued a recall in late 1982 Glen as trannys were blowing up.

Go to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallsearch.cfm and type in the ID# 82V125000.

Just need to be careful what you use in yellow metal friendly.

The 80-90w oil may cause hard shifting when cold.

• No worries about cold weather. This will only see spring and summer driving. I would have guessed gear oil in all parts since its an older vehicle, but from personal experience as a mechanic I've actually only ever seen newer manual transmissions use ATF. My trans in this is Peugeot I believe. The one no one wants. So if 80w-90 makes it live long then gear oil it is.

Edited once, last by AndyZJ ().

• I somehow wound up with a T176 four speed instead of the T4 everybody says should be in my CJ, but I've always used 85W-90 in everything. I've been using Amsoil for the past few years and it doesn't "mark its' territory" like it used to. I had to put synchros in the transmission before I was using synthetic, but I didn't think it was premature wear :)

• They only put the puegot ba-10 in the 87-90 yj. If you have a 5 speed in a cj then its a t5. Both take gl5. btw the nv 4500, 5600, ax15, ax5, zf trans in fords and the newer g56 in dodges all take gl5. Most of the newer trans require a synthetic syncromesh because the higher sulpher in regular gl5 eats syncros.

• I use 60wt motor oil in my T19 and D300. 60wt is absolutely yellow metal friendly and works well. Transmission and transfercase shift better. Transmission was clean as a whistle after 10 years of the worst kind of abuse known to man. Transfercase split in half, but thats not really related to lubrication oil.

The D300 input seal is not the best in the world, so I was advised by a couple transmission manufacturers to run the same fluid in both in case of cross contamination. Probably more important in my NV4500/D300 that runs synchromax, (Yes, that transfercase has 40 bucks of oil in it) but a good guideline none the less.

Just a beat up old cj-7 and a cj pickup thing

Edited once, last by gavan ().

• They only put the puegot ba-10 in the 87-90 yj. If you have a 5 speed in a cj then its a t5. Both take gl5. btw the nv 4500, 5600, ax15, ax5, zf trans in fords and the newer g56 in dodges all take gl5. Most of the newer trans require a synthetic syncromesh because the higher sulpher in regular gl5 eats syncros.

Must be that I'm working on primarily foreign stuff. All Honda manuals I've come across take regular ATF or regular motor oil apparently. Do you really think I have a T5? What marks would tell me what it is? I have the one I blew the reverse gear out of still in my garage. I wonder what tcase I have. I'm so used to Cherokee and Grand Cherokee stuff that CJ designations are a mystery to me.

Edited once, last by AndyZJ ().

• Must have the wrong shifter knob. Mine is definitely the SR4. Ford stamp was dead giveaway and aluminum housing. So is that a crap trans? Oh and I finished cleaning and filling all parts up with gear oil. Getting much closer to finally finishing this project.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!