Camping Hammock

• http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/

I own and use a hammock made by Eagle Nest Outfitters. I bought it at the Eastern Sports & Outdoor show about 5 or 6 years ago. The company rep there gave my brother and I an awesome deal and I bit even though I didn't plan on using it a lot. Gotta say it's probably one of my favorite pieces of camping gear. ENO sells items like the rain fly and bug netting but I am of the opinion that they are overpriced for what they are. I bought a decent 6'x8' tarp ($12), bug netting designed for a cot ($8) and 100' of 550 paracord ($7) and I can be just as (if not more so) comfortable as if I had paid for all of the accessories from ENO.

This is the only pack/camp hammock I've owned so I can't really give you any experience with others.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• If I get one, it will be one of these. http://www.kammok.com/ But talk to Billy and Trey (tedsbumper) as they both have various brands, not sure which.

Trey and I (unless he switched) are running Clark Hammocks. It works well but most of the time I tend to just use my Eagles Nest hammocks since they are simpler.

• Trey and I (unless he switched) are running Clark Hammocks. It works well but most of the time I tend to just use my Eagles Nest hammocks since they are simpler.

Clark Jungle Hammock...the ONLY camping hammock you will ever need for all uses. Yes others are simpler at times, but no competitor on the market will do what the Clark does nor will they protect you in as many climates as the Clark. One common theme on these camping hammock forums is "It's not a Clark, but if you modify this, this and this and add this, it will perform better." and the other common theme is, "I shoulda just ponied up the extra cash and gotten the Clark." Clarks need no mods IMO and they outperform.

Some finer points to illustrate my statement:
    -Single layer mosquito-proof material...mozzies can bite through a single layer of almost any material...even denim; not this stuff.
    -No-see-um proof netting
    -6 large pockets underneath you (3 on each side) into which you can stuff your clothing to insulate yourself from underneath.
    -All in one piece...screen and rain cover attached to the hammock itself and rain-fly attached to the rigging
    -Clark sells sealant and water rings (for the ropes) I have both and have never used either and I have slept through some DOWNPOURS and stayed dry.
    -Packs up to the size of a football in an attached storage bag...attached...you will never lose the sack
    -You can add an insulated lower shell that velcros right to the hammock for use in extreme cold environments
    -If you don't tie the rain fly out, it will velcro to itself and form an extra weather-proof layer around the hammock.

I have compared mine to a Henessy that a buddy had once and there was no comparison. I'll put it to you like this, if you wanted to drive the Moab Trail, you could get a Nissan Pathfinder, modify the shit out of it and you might make it. Or you could just go get a Rubicon JK and be pretty much assured of success.

I have two now, both the North American model. One is my girlfriend's. I take them backpacking, bicycling, motorcycle trips and frankly, I find them much more comfortable than any tent with an air mattress I've ever used. The two I have use different size rain flies. I recommend the larger size fly.

And the biggest difference to me, customer service. They sell direct. When I called to order mine, the owner of the company answered the phone and completed the sale. He was genuinely interested in how I found out about their product and what made me choose them. Very rare in today's economy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!