Dreams of moab 2014

• For example Pritchetts Canyon is not that hard. A short arm locked tj on 33's and a winch can do it

Gavan and Aaron's combined losses on Pritchett: (bear in mind the minimum equipment run was double locked/35s)

Run 1: Gavan, Ian and Aaron

Damages:
    Ian - entire side of rear suspension and therefore rear wheel drive
    Gavan - Power steering pump after epic 10 hour winching session
    Aaron - Nothing, but Moab already claimed his high range

Total time on trail: 17 hours

Run 2: Gavan and Aaron

Damages:
    None. Smoked it.

Total time on trail: 2.5 hours

Run 3: Gavan, Aaron, Sal and Dee

Damages:
    Aaron: None, but Moab already claimed his transmission(!) (out of the running)
    Dee: Driver side rear axle shaft on the second obstacle
    Gavan: Driver side rear axle shaft on the second obstacle (literally. Within 2 feet of the same brake, within 10 mins)
    Sal: None, but Moab already claimed his transfercase and we had to patch it together to even run the trail

Total time on trail: 12 hours

I guess you could do it in a short arm TJ.... on a good day... with a lot of winch rope... and tools... and spares... :razz:

Moab will whoop your ass the first time you go. Budget for at least one serious break and a bunch of spare parts. We went the week after Jeep Jamboree one year and the parts stores had stacks of differential gears behind the counter. Stacks. They knew what was up. The good news is the parts stores know what you will break and keep it in stock. The better news is there is plenty of places to help you install these parts. The reality is your probability of breaking something major is very, very high.

But the trip is absolutely and completely worth it. I have been 5 times and I would go again tomorrow with no hesitations.

• Apparently my sister in law's family has a whole bunch of land and cabins in Gunnison Nat'l Park in CO. Seems like it's on the way out there or back?

Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP? That's just a little nosh of Telluride. I went there my first day on my trip. There's no offroading that I know of, but a cool place. Very narrow and steep canyon. I just spotted some of it in a Kirk Douglas movie "The Way West". :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Well Time for an update I guess. I put a set of 31's on the XJ. I think this is how it should have come stock. A little rubbing on the front and rear flare during flex. Also I get rub turning at full lock on the lower control arms, but nothing crazy. Im Really happy with the on road manors, I was concerned that they might be changed for the worse but everything seems to be fine.

• Looks great!

When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.  These are the pale deaths, which men miscall their lives.  All this I cannot bear to witness any longer.  Cannot the kingdom of salvation, take me home.

• And it's probably just because of the factory arms. Most of the time when you upgrade to tubular LCAs, you won't have the rubbing issue with 31s.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• They are rustys fixed lowers and adjustable uppers. They hit in the usual spot on the lowers. I may end up tossing a set of spacers on to see where that puts things. I know that will get rid of the control arm rub but may cause greater issues elsewhere. I'm not scared to trim within reason so I'll toss them on and weigh my options. The next things on my list to do are remove body molding, trim what is needed, install bump stops, and a neat under the back seat hi lift mounting idea.

Assuming the steering stops are similar to the TJ, a couple washers under the bolts will prevent the rubbing on the control arms.

They are in fact the same. I want to try and avoid loosing streering, but if need be this is what I will do.

• Not much going on with this, Im in the process of moving. I did get around to removing the door trim, and putting a coat of wax on it.

Try this with your 3" lifted wrangler. HA! The tow rating on a stock xj is 5000lbs, This had to have been close. Over all it did very well, I had to run in 3rd gear because of the less the desirable 3.55 gear ration paired with 31's. Breaking was acceptable, and handling was pretty much the same as with out the trailer.

Looks good Andy. You def need to lose that front bumper. If i get some plate I will plasma new mounts out for mine and sell it.

In time i will be looking for a replacement, for now I just plan to trim.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!