Heater core replacement

• My heater core has died on my 98 TJ (with 4.0L motor and air conditioning). I read a write-up on Stu Olsen's website, and I don't think I'm up for the swap job -- at least not alone. I'd like to know if any club member has some experience with this and would be interested in doing the job. The Dover area would be great. Feel free to send me a message with your thoughts, including what kind of money you have in mind.

Will I be ok with an after-market unit? I see they can be purchased at NAPA, Advanced Auto, etc. for a lot less than from the dealership.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• Its really not too bad of a job. It's just a bit intimidating once you get to this point

If I knew when I would have the time I would help you out jim. Ill be home sometime at the end of January, if your still I need of assistance

Andy

• Well, Chris and Andy, let me put it this way. Even with a shop manual, Stu Olsen write-ups and YouTube videos, there are just too many moving parts and too much that can go wrong for me to do it. I can possibly disassemble some of the dash....the easy stuff...to save some time, but that's about where my comfort level ends.
    As for heater core brands....suggestions?
    Is it ok to drive the Jeep with the heat turned completely off? Or am I losing coolant regardless?

• If the heater core is leaking into the cab, or elsewhere you need to bypass it. Pull both hoses off of the heater core at the firewall and use a piece of pipe and some hose clamps to connect the two together. This will keep you from spewing any more antifreeze and allow the coolant to continue to flow freely until a repair is made. The two hoses are likely different sizes, so you can either persuade the smaller hose into a larger piece if pipe, or the help section at most auto parts stores have plastic adapters.

As for brand, I usually aim for one in the middle of the price ranges. Check out rock autos prices first. That being said, I just ordered one for an xj from pepboys online because they had 20% off and free shipping. I believe it's a spectra brand. Four seasons is another popular brand. I wouldn't begin to think of paying a dealer price.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

Edited once, last by 2000sahara ().

• If the heater core is leaking into the cab, or elsewhere you need to bypass it. Pull both hoses off of the heater core at the firewall and use a piece of pipe and some hose clamps to connect the two together. This will keep you from spewing any more antifreeze and allow the coolant to continue to flow freely until a repair is made. The two hoses are likely different sizes, so you can either persuade the smaller hose into a larger piece if pipe, or the help section at most auto parts stores have plastic adapters.

As for brand, I usually aim for one in the middle of the price ranges. Check out rock autos prices first. That being said, I just ordered one for an xj from pepboys online because they had 20% off and free shipping. I believe it's a spectra brand. Four seasons is another popular brand. I wouldn't begin to think of paying a dealer price.

:up: :up:

• I got one of the heaters you plug into the cigarette lighter cheaper and less of a headache :8)

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll definitely keep the work-around solutions in mind. Nobody is interested in making some cash doing the job? Can I get a referral to a non-DEJA shop (hopefully in Kent County) that will do the work at a good price?

Also....does anyone have an opinion about trying Bar's Leaks? Is there a down side to using it?

Edited once, last by Chief57 ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!