Sticking accelerator

• Last night and this morning I had the accelerator pedal stick as I let off the throttle. In order to get it to release I had to stomp the pedal. The 1st time scared to crap out of me! I was coming up to a red light with 2-3 cars already in front of me! I threw it into Nuetral, the engine was racing for a second until I stomped on the pedal in order for it to release. That was definitely a pucker moment.

I can't pinpoint any pattern to it so far. It's happened after a fast acceleration, normal acceleration and after cruising for a few miles at ~55mph. I took a brief look at it last night and worked the throttle linkage by hand a couple times and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Today after work I'll check the linkage cable thru the firewall as well as the rest. I'm hoping all it may be is just gunked up stuff that needs to be cleaned/oiled. Is there anything else that I should check out in particular?

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• it's a cable style throttle, so just follow the cable until you see the sticking point. make sure the openings on the protective sheath are clean, then look for any frays or cuts on the wire itself.

good luck

• Mine does that occasionally but its because my thumb throttle needs the occasional spray of grease. It might be binding by the throttle body where the cable comes out of the plastic. Thats where mine dries out and sticks.

• Probably got all gummed up sitting for the 2 years it took to get the trans installed. :laughing:

It's amazing how my Jeep's turned into a recently resurrected old heap found sitting in a cow pasture for the last 20 years... :razz:

also check the return spring on the throttle body, might be getting old and weak

I plan on cleaning all of the linkage and hitting it with some oil/grease. I hope the spring's not worn! I just bought that reman'd carb a year or so ago. Also, the Jeeps carb'ed... what's a throttle body? :innocent:

Use a white lithium grease.

Thanks Steve. I didn't even think what type of grease to use or even ask about that. I figr'd WD40 fixed all the parts that are s'posed to move but don't. :laughing: If I hadn't replaced the valve cover gasket a while back I could just wipe wome of the motor oil off the block and reapply to the linkage cable. :roflmao:

• For cables, 3 and 1 oil works well. You just have to drip it and slide the cable back and forth to get the oil worked in. Takes a while.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• For cables, 3 and 1 oil works well. You just have to drip it and slide the cable back and forth to get the oil worked in. Takes a while.

Oil will degrade plastics. Use white lithium around any plastic part, you can get it in a spray can with a straw nozzle. Oil is ok for metals.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Oil will degrade plastics. Use white lithium around any plastic part, you can get it in a spray can with a straw nozzle. Oil is ok for metals.

Will Lithium attract dirt and gunk up the works? I'm guessing any liquid would do the same. How about Graphite powder? The powder doesn't seem like it would adhere to the surface of the cable though I may be wrong.

• Will Lithium attract dirt and gunk up the works? I'm guessing any liquid would do the same. How about Graphite powder? The powder doesn't seem like it would adhere to the surface of the cable though I may be wrong.

Graphite wont last or adhere well in an engine environment, lithium will last long, not much you can do to about dirt.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Oil will degrade plastics. Use white lithium around any plastic part, you can get it in a spray can with a straw nozzle. Oil is ok for metals.

Plastic valve covers, oil caps, most of the pcv fittings are all plastic.

Grease will just attract dust and everything else.

• Grease is awful in that application given its propensity to attract every bit of dust/dirt around. I'd highly suggest one of the 'dry' lubes out there like:

or

I've got a can of both at home and they work great in applications like this...liquid dries to a film and keeps things nice and lubed.

--Ian

• I cleaned and lubed the pivot points on the throttle linkage under the hood, the return spring and on the pedal assembly. I also pulled the throttle cable through the firewall and cleaned the exposed cable pretty well with some brakleen. The cable is sleeved from about 1.5" from the connector at the pedal, through the firewall all the way to the linkage arm. I didn't grease the cable at all bc it's sleeved and it moved just fine. I couldn't get it to stick again so I think I'm good. Time will tell I guess. Thanks y'all for the help!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!