Free: Stereo speaker project

• I have two Radio Shack Minimus 55W 8ohm speakers that are in need of an audiophile who's interested in minor repair project. I realize it happens from time to time, but it caught me off guard that the surrounds of the two main 5" speakers dry rotted. I've already removed and tossed them; they were not repairable. For somene who can use these otherwise perfect speakers, it might be a nifty and inexpensive audio project. I can tell you that they sounded very good in their day. The cabinets and tweeters are in great shape. A simple spade-style terminal will connect the new speakers. They are about 13 years old.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• i had a set of those back in the day...they were great speakers. im sure with today's technology, they would still make great speakers.

• What's sad is that you can't walk into a Radio Shack in 2014 and buy the individual speakers to make the repair. That was once part of the chain's core business and reason it was founded -- serving the home hobbyist who likes to tinker with electronics. Nowadays, it's all about pushing smartphones and laptops. RS is a shell of its former self.

• What's sad is that you can't walk into a Radio Shack in 2014 and buy the individual speakers to make the repair. That was once part of the chain's core business and reason it was founded -- serving the home hobbyist who likes to tinker with electronics. Nowadays, it's all about pushing smartphones and laptops. RS is a shell of its former self.

Who remembers Lafayette Radio ?

Radio Shack pretty much killed them.

Kudos to my Father for being a geek (W3FQN) and passing it on to me (WA3VWB).

Both call signs long gone, but what I know today I learned in great part from him.

• Radio Shack just closed 1100 stores. They won't be around much longer. They could have stayed a specialty store with reasonable profit margins but lost focus and became a mobile phone provider and a mediocre one at that.

Sorry for the high jack. Someone take these awesome speakers.

• Radio Shack just closed 1100 stores. They won't be around much longer. They could have stayed a specialty store with reasonable profit margins but lost focus and became a mobile phone provider and a mediocre one at that.

its sad..i remember going there to get parts to do projects with my dad.

I would gladly take them, but magnolia is a little far for me to go for some speakers.....but if anyone i down that way and wants to relay them up north, ill put them to good use.

Online stores are killing the market. My wife and I were just complaining about the fact that you cant just walk into a video store anymore and rent a new movie. You either have to hope its on on-demand or get lucky at red box. Technology sucks!

• Dave, I will set them aside and somehow get them to you...perhaps at a DEJA event. Reach out to me if you see an opportunity for a handoff.
    FYI, I'm well aware that one CAN purchase 5" speakers, it's just that for me it's not worth the expense and bother. Regarding Radio Shack, it would be cool if the chain would either merge with another electronics retailer or somehow get back to its roots (though it's probably too late for that).

• Regarding Radio Shack, it would be cool if the chain would either merge with another electronics retailer or somehow get back to its roots (though it's probably too late for that).

Yup. I worked there for about 9 months back in 1999-2000 and it was starting to die then. Profit margins on those little parts is really slim when you add in the costs of a brick and mortar store. They will not survive.

• Dave, I will set them aside and somehow get them to you...perhaps at a DEJA event. Reach out to me if you see an opportunity for a handoff.

When I get down to pick up that table and bell, I'll grab them for Dave. Least I can do since I'll already be there.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Sounds like a good plan! Today would be choice....my plans are flexible.

cool. highly appreciated. its been an insane week for me, and next week will be similar. shoot me a PM sometime and we will meet up.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!