Pennsylvania tire width rules

• So, on Sunday I was over at Aaron's getting all set up with a lift and some new 35-12.5 MTRs, and I think I must have been looking something like this:

When Aaron mentioned that I might end up getting a ticket in PA because of the width of my tires, at which point I did my best Homer Simpson imitation, "D'oh!!!"

So, I did some internet investigation and found the PA Inspection rules. They state that you can't have any tread poking out from your fenders and flares. I am not a disinterested party, and yet even I have to admit that there is some tread poking out. I have a 2012 JKU and the rear flares are already 4", which is over the 3" PA limit but seems OK due to the fact that they are OEM...so I'm not sure I can go wider.

So, any experience or wisdom from the PA guys? Anybody north of the border running 12.5 MTRs? Shall I pump those suckers up to 250 PSI to get them as narrow as a bike tire?

• How wide is your rim? Narrower rim should suck the tire in a bit. Also, is the PA flare limit 3" or 3" over stock?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I have a 2012 JKU and the rear flares are already 4", which is over the 3" PA limit but seems OK due to the fact that they are OEM...so I'm not sure I can go wider.

So, any experience or wisdom from the PA guys? Anybody north of the border running 12.5 MTRs? Shall I pump those suckers up to 250 PSI to get them as narrow as a bike tire?

JK's don't have flares, they have fenders. That makes them legal. Now my TJ has 6" flares so it is definitely illegal but I'll guarantee no police officer in PA knows that law.

How far are your tires protruding? Can you post a picture?

• How wide is your rim? Narrower rim should suck the tire in a bit. Also, is the PA flare limit 3" or 3" over stock?

Limit is 3inches but is trumpped by OEM. Saying that, I have never heard of anyone failing a PA inspection due to oversize flares. I also always had some tread hanging out on my YJ and was never harassed. Depends on the mood of the cop and what else you were doing to draw attention to yourself.

• From what Ive seen and heard they dont seem to care about the width of the flare but you may have issues with the tire coverage during inspection if the inspector wants to be a jerk. I ended up with 6" flares when I lived in Pa for that reason but then ended up having a freind do the inspection so it would have passed anyway. I dont think you would ever get pulled over for it though.

• You definitely fail the coin drop test but I wouldn't worry about it. You are not obnoxiously wide so I can't imagine you'll have any problems.

• Like others have said, you'll probably be ok with a friendly mechanic doing the inspection. And you're legal with wider flares on a JK because they're technically fenders, especially the fronts. Most cops can't write tickets for inspection issues, which is good. I've heard of a few jerks hanging out near the routes to RC to bust people, but never seen it myself. Given the cost of new flares and the minimal extension you have, I wouldn't worry about it until you actually get a ticket. Just don't be surprised if it eventually happens.

Btw, looks great! :driving:

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I stuck out way more than that when I had my 10" rims on. NEVER got pulled over for it. I did get pulled over for a speeding ticket once (got a warning) and the cop told me my tires were too wide. I told him I was on my way back from a ride and hadn't put my street tires back on. He told me to stop by the barracks and show him in the next 3 days. Luckily I kept my stock tires for just that reason. I threw on my 28's on a TJ with 4"s of lift and drove over. He laughed and said have a good day. He knew but didn't care. Lol

You'll be fine!

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• failing inspection and getting pulled over are 2 different things IMO. I have never been pulled over for tires sticking out...but my mechanic in PA did make me put different tires on for inspection. some don't care...many won't care. most cops dont care but they might add it if you get in an accident/speeding

• I was pulled over in my old TJ when I ran 35s and wheel spacers. I only received a warning and was told if he saw me again like that he would ticket me and submit my inspection station to the state for inspecting it.

In PA you can be ticketed for what is seemingly inspection issues. There were a bunch of MD guys who got ticketed for driving without doors near the York jeep show. I seem to remember them trying to fight the tickets without success.

• I was pulled over in my old TJ when I ran 35s and wheel spacers. I only received a warning and was told if he saw me again like that he would ticket me and submit my inspection station to the state for inspecting it.

In PA you can be ticketed for what is seemingly inspection issues. There were a bunch of MD guys who got ticketed for driving without doors near the York jeep show. I seem to remember them trying to fight the tickets without success.

Ive heard the York area is tough for tire coverage and doors. I thought if you were out of state you dident have to meet the Pa guidlines though? Because I remeber being worried about that years ago when living in VA and coming up to RC with about 5in of exposed tire.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!