Jerry can placement (?)

• I've been looking at different ways to mount the Jerry can onto my Jeep. There's a few options but I am not sure which I like better at the moment. I'm looking to get some opinions and pros/cons of each mounting location. If you have pics of your setup that'd be much appreciated.

A. Horizontally over/behind the rear flare
    B. Vertically on the interior/exterior or the tailgate

C. Vertically in front of the drivers door

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• I vote rear. , Side has too much room to hit stuff on the trail. What are you putting it it, water or fuel?

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• B. this is where i would put. jeeps normally carry something here anyway (tire, which u have removed)
    A. would likely block visibility in side view mirror and make it a pain to lift things over it to put in the back seat real quick
    C. would likely just feel like its in the way.

• It'll be a fuel can. It's an old military can that was already used for fuel previously. I have plans to put the spare back onto the tailgate in the near future and I don't think the jerry can mount I have will fit between the tire to the tailgate. I also have plans to convert the tailgate to a drop style gate. I could mount it to the inside of the tailgate but I lose a little storage room. My concern with mounting it in front of the door (d/s or p/s) is the sheet metal being structurally sound enough to hold a full can and mount w/o having to reinforce it inside the fender somewhere. I'll post a pic of the mount I have on here shortly.

• I wouldn't worry too much about it snagging stuff on the trail or damage to the can if it was mounted in front of the doors to the fender. I don't wheel a lot and I don't have the cajones to wheel hardcore.... yet. I'm a bit jaded from drowning my trans last year.

• Just wondering out loud. Why would you need a gas can on a jeep that rarely sees trails? If you fill it up and let it sit, the ethanol will make it go bad. If you carry it empty until you decide to go on a trail where you "Might" need it then why have it mounted permanently? I also worry about carrying a gas can strapped to the outside of your vehicle. It's like carrying a bomb that you hope never gets hit. If you got Tboned you'd definitely have a fire on your hands and if you mount it on the back the same thing would happen if you got rear ended. Again, it's your jeep, but just wondering. Most guy's that have those are out west running trails that can take days to run. Around here, I can't think of a single reason you'd need it.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• That's a cool looking jerry can. I always liked the ones mounted on the rear or swing out carrier but the mounts are pricey. I've got a toolbox that looks like one and I just carry it behind the rear seat. I wonder if you could use a fuel stabalizer to get some more shelf life out of the tank? Otherwise you just need to rotate it in every so often.

• Keep in mind that the reason the spare tire was moved from the side of the jeep to the rear was because they kept getting torn off the sides of the Jeep when going through the woods.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Of the 3 mounts I have on mine .
    The swing away carries a water can and a can of spare parts, straps and stuff.
    The mount in front of the passenger door only carries a can during inclament weather. Most times the mount is empty.

• Just wondering out loud. Why would you need a gas can on a jeep that rarely sees trails? <snip> Around here, I can't think of a single reason you'd need it.

That answer is simple! Zombie Apocolypse!! :guns:

....but on a slightly less alarming note, there's a few reasons why I'm wanting to mount it in the Jeep.

1. I like the look... something about that can mounted to a Jeep just seems right. I've had the can for a few years and I'd like to use it instead of it collecting dust in my shed. It's a cool piece of American history that I'd like to show off. It even still has the military data sticker on it!

2. I'd like to have the extra security of the extra fuel should my never-failing-always-dependable fuel gauge leave me stranded. The 1st time I ran the tank dry, the gauge still read over 1/4 tank. It's only happened 3x but it sure beats walking to the next gas station or being stranded on a trail.

As far as the fuel going bad, it would be rotated out with fresh fuel at least once a month. I was a bit concerned about being in an accident with it mounted to the exterior of the Jeep as well. I think it would be out of reach (height-wise) for most vehicles on the road but not all. I don't want to lose any more interior space either. Lot's of factors to consider but that's why I wanted y'alls feedback.

Thanks Tonka. I really need to touch up a few spots where the paint has been chipped. I'd like to leave it as is but I don't want it to rust away either. I think it's pretty cool myself. :8)

I was thinking the same thing John. I held it up against the Jeep to see how far it would stick out. It's about the same width as the flares. I'm not even sure that the sheetmetal would hold the weight w/o some sort of reinforcement inside the fender. Another thing is that if I mount it in front of the door, it's going to see abuse from everything that the road/trail/tire debris will hit it with as well as mother nature. I want to use it but I don't want to destroy it either.

I'm leaning more and more towards mounting it to the inside of the tailgate. I think with it there I can still have it handy, it will be fairly accessible and it won't get abused incessantly by outside enviromental factors.

• There are other uses for Jerry cans besides fuel...

Here is a pretty cool mount...

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• There are other uses for Jerry cans besides fuel...

I thought you said "besides fuel"?? Isn't that considered "fuel" by a lot of people?? :innocent:

Here is a pretty cool mount...

That's pretty trick! It would definitely level out my Jeep a bit too!

• Another nice use...

THAT is friggin SWEET! I take it from all the wiring that the amp is in the ammo box. I do have another Jerry can that I was using for waste oil. I actually patched a tiny hole in it last night. I believe I have found a better use for it now!! I wonder if there's a write up on that mod somewheres...... :hmm:

• Thats pretty sweet! I may have to copycat on this one too, plus my box is starting to get some water damage anyway. Although I imagine that a metal box cant be that great for the sound you would get out of a sub. Im thinking vibration maker. Looks awesome though.

• Thats pretty sweet! I may have to copycat on this one too, plus my box is starting to get some water damage anyway. Although I imagine that a metal box cant be that great for the sound you would get out of a sub. Im thinking vibration maker. Looks awesome though.

You would certainly want some insulation in there. Also mounting the sub on rubber mounts to isolate vibration.

• there was a thread on this a couple years ago if anyone feels like searching, iirc I did the math on the internal volume of the jerry can and there was no sub on the market that would come close to working well with it. Need more air plus all the issues mentioned above with rattling. If it was a good idea to build sub boxes out of metal that's the way they would be built.

Mounting inside the vehicle and storing gas in it would make me worry about fumes.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!