Back in the game?

• Contemplating getting back into the jeep family. The wife has mentioned she wants an unlimited so I am thinking about taking her Mazda CX-9 (50K miles) and trading in my 2013 Sierra (23K miles). Main thought is I drive about 50 miles a day and she drives 5. Pile the miles on the Mazda and be able to hand it to the kid in 3.5 years and then buy me something.

Anyone have good experience with any local (Smryna south) dealer? Think I want new, maybe a '14 but don't want to break the bank. When I bought my truck, they came off the price a bunch. Is that the case with jeeps?

Thanks in advance!

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• Just bought a 15 Unlimited Sport S at Holden Jeep in Dover. I have a relative that works there, and knowing what they paid for the jeep vs the asking price, there is not much wiggle room. Pickups are marked up between 5-8k from dealer invoice where Jeeps are somewhere between 2-3k depending on options. The difference will probably be in what you can get for your trade.

• I went to three different dealers ( One in each of the counties ) and they were all the same price. So went with Brandywine in Smryna being they were the closest. Keep in mind, I was ordering a certain model with few options. They might want to deal alittle bit more on something on the lot.
    They didn't offer much on a trade in ( A high mileage, full size Chevy PU ) so I keep it.

• when i was searching for my unlimited i decided to go slightly used and search in a large surrounding area, i was also looking for a color they dont make anymore, but i just looked til i found what i wanted then figured out what i wanted for my vehicle. they ended up dropping 3k off the jeep over the phone and guaranteeing me at least a certain price for my trade. I did have to drive 4 hours to pick it up but ended up getting a low mile 2012 for a great price, about 5k less than everything else around the tri state area. Just an idea if your willing to go slightly used.

• My wife has been looking for a replacement vehicle. CarMax has some decent low mileage Jeeps.

If you are a Costco member I was told that you can get a good deal through them too. They have specific dealers they work with.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I didn't think of that. If my wife goes with the Jeep route we will definitely give them a look. :driving: I will make sure I drive up in my Jeep with DEJA tags blazing! :innocent:

We will probably go used though.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Thanks for the input. I found a 2012 with only 5,700 miles and seems pretty loaded that is 33K but then they have 2015 sport models for that or less. They all seem about the same price no matter new or miles...from 2010 and 11's with 20K-50K all in the same range. Never looked at new jeeps before.

I am thinking 3 piece hard top since it will be wife's full time driver but what are your opinions on the soft top? My old YJ was so damn noisy and cold but it was a '90.

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• Find a hard top model if you can, it's much cheaper to get a new softtop (especially the Bestop Trektop NX) than a new hard top. The hard top is noticeably quieter (not as extreme as in the older models, but still noticeable), plus you have the ability to use an ice scraper on the windows, open the back window when it's frozen, etc. And if security is a concern, the soft top windows are a bigger target for punks than the hardtop glass.

My advice for friends looking for a JK is always buy new if you can. I can't recommend the 07-11 models because of the engine (no power for the auto and the oil consumption), and the cost for a low-mileage 2012 is still near the price of a new Jeep (full warranty, new car scent, unmolested, etc). For buying new, the best tip is to join Tread Lightly and use the discount program from them. It gets you a no-haggle price of 1% under invoice and any current factory incentives should still apply, the only haggling will be on the value of the trade. http://treadlightly.org/join/i…ffiliates-reward-program/

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• 2012 was the first year for the better motor (3.6L I think)?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Yeah, 2012 started the 3.6 motor in the JKs. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!