camping trailer build...

• I'm just gonna put a paint mark on the bolt and nut and worry about it if it ever loosens. Lol it's a giant bolt, I'm guessing 1.5" with a 2" nut.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Jerry, I would recommend something like this http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/f900.phpit's common in aviation to be able to do a quick visual for tampering/loose bolts. It will hold up a little better to the elements than a white paint marker/sharpie/whatever

i guess a couple coats of nail polish could work too.

• Good tip, thanks!

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• I doubt its anything u have to check but if u want the least expensive way would be a torque multiplier. Im getting one for pulling the pete lugs.

http://www.northerntool.com/sh…oduct_200623947_200623947

• Hmm a planetary gear ratchet, never knew those existed. Cool stuff. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

• Finally a rolling chassis. Still need to do some more odds and ends to the frame, but it's looking a little like a trailer now! After I finish up the frame, I'll start fitting the body. I'm re-starting a part-time job tomorrow so things will slow down a bit.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Working two jobs, so not a lot of progress... Welded in another crossmember, cleaned up the welds, added the tongue collar and safety chain loop. Started drilling mounting holes for the tongue box and body. I'll be using nutserts for the body mounts since it's tube steel. I figure that's a better route than selftapping bolts. Using 1/4-20 bolts for the body and 5/16-18 for the tailgate (factory CJ thread). This is the tedious part...

Drove it around the neighborhoods a little and it tows well. Jackknifes to 90* perfectly. Threw magnetic lights on it and got up to speed on Kirkwood Hwy, runs straight and smooth, even with no weight and 37psi tires. :)

My next day off is in 11 days, but I'm hoping to sneak some more work in between shifts if the weather will cooperate.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Cheapest one Quadratec sells, I think it's the Crown version. Using the Kentrol black stainless hinges and their cable kit.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Pretty much zero progress... but I just ordered a 12V fridge/freezer. :) Only a 43qt, but I think that'll be plenty for me considering I was using smaller coolers and tying up space with ice. If not, I'm confident that I can sell it and upgrade to a larger model.

Hoping to get the body fitment finished on Wednesday and give the frame a good coat of Chassis Saver. Weather depending, next weekend will be busy getting the frame drilled and nutserts installed then mounting the body. If that goes well, pick up a sheet of plywood, cut it and seal it in prep for the bedliner coating.

Jerry / Whatevah

Edited once, last by whatevah ().

• Frame has 2 coats of Chassis Saver (wow, that dries hard) and 2 coats of a light tan satin Krylon spray paint. The tongue box also has a thick coat of the same paint. The body will get a slightly lighter tan color of flat Rustoleum paint (the lightest color in their camouflage line).

For those curious, the fridge is an Edgestar FP430. Retails for $470 but I was able to get a smoking deal on a scratch and dent model.... $251.30! 43qts and pulls 5A on full load. It'll run on 115V, too. But, at 45lbs empty it's not something you want to move a lot. It'll go to freezing temps down to -8 degrees if you need to. I think I'll set mine around 36. I think this will go inside the Jeep for the trip but run off the trailer battery when parked. I'm not sure, yet... Might just run it off the Optima in the Jeep. Supposedly it'll last 2 days without draining the battery too low. It's not the same quality as an Engel or ARB, but at 1/3rd the cost, I'm happy. They have a good following on the adventure forums.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Amazing what a coat of paint will do. :) I had intended to add side pieces to hold fuel or propane tanks, but couldn't decide on a style, so it's plain for this iteration.

I'm really looking forward to getting the body mounted, hoping it doesn't rain this weekend. Should have enough time to get the reinforcement plates on and the tailgate mounted. But, the tailgate will likely be tricky to do by myself. After the tailgate is on, time to get a sheet of plywood for the floor. I guess a generic piece and seal it with polyurethane. Then bedline the entire interior to make it water tight (tailgate will have a seal) including a top coat for the floor. After that dries, can cut holes for the lights and start wiring. Not sure how I want to run the wiring into the body. Needs to be sealed, however it is. After the wiring is done, time for the tent. :) there's only one left in the US, but they're holding it for me. At 300lbs including the hinged lid/base, it'll be a challenge to mount.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Amazing what a coat of paint will do. :) I had intended to add side pieces to hold fuel or propane tanks, but couldn't decide on a style, so it's plain for this iteration.

I'm really looking forward to getting the body mounted, hoping it doesn't rain this weekend. Should have enough time to get the reinforcement plates on and the tailgate mounted. But, the tailgate will likely be tricky to do by myself. After the tailgate is on, time to get a sheet of plywood for the floor. I guess a generic piece and seal it with polyurethane. Then bedline the entire interior to make it water tight (tailgate will have a seal) including a top coat for the floor. After that dries, can cut holes for the lights and start wiring. Not sure how I want to run the wiring into the body. Needs to be sealed, however it is. After the wiring is done, time for the tent. :) there's only one left in the US, but they're holding it for me. At 300lbs including the hinged lid/base, it'll be a challenge to mount.

You have my number, give me a call if you need a hand! :up: :up:

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!