Steering Stabilizer Install Problem

• [size=13px]Hopefully I can get some advice or help! I am trying to install an Old Man Emu Steering Stabilizer SD40 and am having problems with the new hardware. [/size]
    [size=13px]I have a 1998 TJ Sahara, previous owner had a 4" suspension lift, Rancho, on it. It's kind of old, and the ride isn't great so I wanted to replace a little bit at a time. I bought the SS, seems like it has good reviews, and has improved some people's ride. I don't want to start an argument about which SS's are better, or if they are even worth replacing... just giving a background. [/size]
    [size=13px]I was able to get the old SS off without any major issues. Of course the thing doesn't come with any instructions, and I have searched the forums without any luck. Apparently you are supposed to re-use the bolt from the axle bracket location (which I did and it fit fine). [/size]
    [size=13px]The bolt that I removed from the old SS (not tapered) is smaller in diameter than the OME one (which is tapered). So I can not fit the new bolt into the drag link. And I can not re-use the old bolt, because the bushing is bigger on the new SS and the bolt is too small for it. Has anybody had any luck installing these things, or have any pictures of an install? [/size]
    [size=13px]Should I drill out the hole on the dragline to make the new bolt fit? Thanks for any help guys! I'll try to post some pictures[/size]

• I would think that if it was tapered like that there was a reason for it or they would have used a regular bolt.

With that said, I haven't run stabilizer for years.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Sounds like you have it figured out. But, just in case, I posted a link to the instructions in "What have you done lately?" section. My OME didn't come with any install instructions at all. I had to drill a couple of the holes in their bracket a little wider to accommodate their own hardware.

Here's a link to it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!