TRAIL REPORT - DEJA Trail Ride @ Rausch Creek - Nov 28 2015

• It was a really good day for the greens/blues group. We had a few first-timers. It was a good day for them to lose their off-road virginity. They did great. There was an outbreak of the highly-contagious Jeep Sickness - throughout the day, I overheard more than one of them talking about their future upgrades. It may have been me who infected them, as I know I am a carrier, so I apologize for that.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• We all started out together along with a blues/blacks group - about 16 rigs total, I think. We went down toward the old office and did one of the hill climbs back up. Stafford and I discussed splitting up into two or three groups, because there were just too many rigs to run together, and some people wanted to run higher level stuff which some of the others were definitely not ready for. So we split up the group into two.

I guided the greens/blues group because: a) Randy (shorebird) couldn't make this trip, so they needed a guide, b) it was basically a shakedown run for my XJ which hadn't seen trails in over 4 years, and c) a few minutes into the aforementioned hill climb, I realized that my XJ was going to need more cutting to open up the wheel wells to accommodate the 35s. I actually considered calling it a day right at the beginning of the day, when I first recognized the problem, but instead decided that guiding a green/blue group would work for me as well as help out the club.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

Edited once, last by altierior ().

• I had ten in my group:
    Hardkor & Javagirl
    ForMud
    Dschappell and guest
    altierior
    Buster Stewart
    RECON
    Viking66

The others, I believe, are neither members nor guests on the forum, so no usernames.

My thanks to Buster Stewart for being my tail-gunner and conferring with me on trail choices, and to RECON for his help with spotting, winching, and guiding that last hill climb.

~ JD

• We started the day with:
    B > 1b > Pole Line > Tower Rd > down H > 11 > 12a > 12b > 12c > down H > Lunch

Stats:
    Total distance: 7.28 km (4.5 mi)
    Total time: 3:51:49
    Moving time: 3:22:16
    Average speed: 1.88 km/h (1.2 mi/h)
    Average moving speed: 2.16 km/h (1.3 mi/h)
    Max speed: 19.80 km/h (12.3 mi/h)
    Average pace: 31:50 min/km (51:14 min/mi)
    Average moving pace: 27:47 min/km (44:43 min/mi)
    Fastest pace: 3:02 min/km (4:53 min/mi)
    Max elevation: 466 m (1528 ft)
    Min elevation: 306 m (1003 ft)
    Elevation gain: 158 m (518 ft)
    Max grade: 18 %
    Min grade: -25 %
    Recorded: 11/28/2015 09:46

Map here: https://drive.google.com/open?…HW_WI4Cv5mekNrWTBfX1pQODg
    (Click on the 'Satellite' button after you open the map, it looks way cooler.)

After lunch, we did:
    up H > playground > Tower Rd > Pole Line > 2 > B > Pole line > 3 line hill climb > C > down and back up
    hill climbs by Trail A > back to parking lot

Stats:
    Total distance: 4.86 km (3.0 mi)
    Total time: 2:06:46
    Moving time: 1:44:23
    Average speed: 2.30 km/h (1.4 mi/h)
    Average moving speed: 2.79 km/h (1.7 mi/h)
    Max speed: 20.70 km/h (12.9 mi/h)
    Average pace: 26:05 min/km (41:59 min/mi)
    Average moving pace: 21:29 min/km (34:34 min/mi)
    Fastest pace: 2:54 min/km (4:40 min/mi)
    Max elevation: 465 m (1525 ft)
    Min elevation: 318 m (1045 ft)
    Elevation gain: 221 m (725 ft)
    Max grade: 27 %
    Min grade: -21 %
    Recorded: 11/28/2015 13:54

Map here: https://drive.google.com/open?…HW_WI4Cv5mSGFVVTlpMERQekk

~ JD

• The weather was a tad on the chilly side, but not bad. There was an occasional mild drizzle. In the afternoon, a thick mist descended upon the woods, giving an oddly eerie feel. It must have rained a lot there lately, because nearly every depression, rut, and dip in the trails were muddy. I far prefer rocks to mud, but on this day I ended up covered in more mud - including in the interior of the Jeep and on my person - than has been the case in a long, long time. The trails were wet and slick, making obstacles tricky and fun.

I hadn't been to Rausch in a while, and with the landscape altered so much from the logging and clearing that had been done since then, I hardly recognized many parts of the trails with which I had been previously been so well acquainted, so I apologize to the group for the map-check stops and the one inadvertent double-back.

~ JD

• I think any trail damage was minimal. I chose trails which I thought would be challenging and fun for the group without much danger of body damage. It was probably me who took the most damage - to my front passenger door when I leaned into a tree stump - and that was really minor. We had no mechanical failures as far as I know. We only had to break out the winch line once.

Whenever I articulated my front end past a certain point to where one of my tires was tucked, the tire would contact the back end of my wrap-around front bumper, and as the tire rotated the thick lugs spinning against the 1/4" steel plate of the bumper caused a horrible rapid-fire noise sounding somewhere between POP and BANG. It could have easily been mistaken for gunshots, and I suspect that any hunters within earshot probably thought someone was out there hunting using a semi-automatic rifle.

Dschappell had similar trouble (sans the gunshots) with his front tires flexing into his uncut fenders, which cut grooves into the tires. At least he was close to home when one of those tires later failed:
    https://www.delawareja.com/for…41809.msg343549#msg343549

~ JD

• I think everyone had fun. I certainly did. I suspect I'll be seeing some of you on the trails again.

:driving:

~ JD

• I started out leading the whole crowd in a circle before we sorted into two groups, then led the blue-black group of five Jeeps. We did all of Trail 5 (black), where Stafford broke his ram-assist, then did all of Trail 2 (blue), went over to the South Property and climbed Cemetery (black), where Wayne got epically stuck right at the top, then did some blue trails on the West Property, including 12, 12-B and 10-A, then crossed Rock Creek and did 13-A (blue-black) where it runs parallel to Rock Creek, then drove back to the parking lot. It was a good group and we covered a lot of ground. Thanks to jpfan for help getting my little CJ up Cemetery!

• We had a blast and are already looking forward to the next trip. I was one of those talking about future upgrades (regear and lockers) which I have already mentioned to Aaron. So yeah, I think Alterior spread the bug. Many thanks to John and Buster for a great day and the learning experience.

• Oops, I just noticed that I had my before-lunch map and after-lunch map reversed. Not that it matters much, but it makes more sense if they are in the correct order. I just fixed the above post, but here they are again, in the correct order (I hope):

Before lunch: https://drive.google.com/open?…HW_WI4Cv5mekNrWTBfX1pQODg

After lunch: https://drive.google.com/open?…HW_WI4Cv5mSGFVVTlpMERQekk

~ JD

• As far as the trip went, I had a wonderful time. Not gonna lie, that very first incline where I got stuck for a minute... I was worried. I thought my jeep just wasn't good enough. As the day went, you guys really helped me out on learning how to go. Keep your wheels high. Best advice I had all day. Thanks and looking forward to next time!

Jeep XJ (Lifted 2", Misc. goodies inside, 195k on body, 85k on inline 6) Jeep WJ (Stock, 236k on inline 6)

• I was one who was neither member nor guest. I had the old primered Willys. I had a great time wheeling with everyone and I appreciated the convoy out of Newark. Thanks for being a great trail captain John. If you hadn't apologized for doubling back I would have never known! I just finished this Jeep in April and I've been shaking it down ever since. It's been working good lately so I decided to give it a go. I'm glad I did, and I'm looking forward to going again. I went ahead and joined so I could have a name. Thanks again to everybody.

Now if I could only figure out how to pay the dues!

• I had the old primered Willys.

That is such a cool vehicle. It's great seeing something like that out on the trails.

~ JD

• So, who's got the pictures?

~ JD

• I should have created a new thread for the trail report. :doh:

Can a mod please split this thread - from reply #90 forward - into its own thread entitled
    ** TRAIL REPORT - DEJA Trail Ride @ Rausch Creek - Nov 28 2015 **
    ?

~ JD

• It was a great day! Thanks John for stepping up to lead our group. You need to have your Trail Boss status reinstated. Great write up!
    I need to compliment the group as a whole for working together with both new and experienced Wheeler's.

Dschappell, Hardkor & JavaGirl incredible first day on the trails. :up:
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]I'm[/size][/font][size=2][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif] definitely going to leave the keys in the Rubicon JavaGirl so I wont have to walk back after spotting, you can just pick me up.[/font][/size][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]Willyn Willys is sick and capable. Please post some build picts and some details, you put a lot of work into that rig.[/size][/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]RECON with the RIPP supercharger, I need to lean more about what it takes to install. That could be a good project for my JKU.[/size][/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]I look forward to Wheeling with you all soon.[/size][/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]I saw a lot of pictures being taken please post.[/size][/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]See you next time![/size][/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]Tim[/size][/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2] [/size][/font]

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!