"Mountain" Climbing

• Keith, not too long ago I decided to put a plan in motion to do some "father and son" climbs of the highest peaks in the Northeast. (I've pasted the highest peak in each NE state below for your reference.) I figured I had a certain window of opportunity, where my strength and skills are diminishing while my teenage son's are growing. We started with Mount Washington (2013), Mount Greylock (2014), and Mount Katahdin (2015). This summer we hope to tackle Mount Mansfield. I've never really been exposed to bouldering, but that does sound like a challenge.

On a side note, I bought a pair of Merrill hiking shoes a couple of years ago. I had a big problem with them last year half-way up my climb, but, on the positive side, they totally stood by their product when I contacted them after the fact.

[size=0.7em]State[/size][size=1em] [/size][size=0.7em]Peak Name[/size][size=1em] [/size][size=0.7em]Elevation [/size][size=0.7em]Nearest Town
    [/size][size=0.7em]NH[/size][size=1em] [/size][size=0.7em]Mount Washington[/size][size=1em] [/size][size=0.7em]6,288 [/size][size=0.7em]Gorham
    [/size][size=0.7em]NY[/size][size=1em] [/size][size=0.7em]Mount Marcy[/size][size=1em] [/size][size=0.7em]5,344 [/size][size=0.7em]New Russia
    [/size][size=0.7em]ME[/size][size=1em] [/size][size=0.7em]Mount Katahdin [/size][size=0.7em]5,267 [/size][size=0.7em]Millinocket
    [/size][size=0.7em]WV [/size][size=1em] [/size][size=0.7em]Spruce Knob[/size][size=0.7em] 4,863 [/size][size=0.7em]Glady
    [/size][size=0.7em]VT [/size][size=0.7em]Mount Mansfield [/size][size=0.7em] 4,393 [/size][size=0.7em]Stowe
    [/size][size=0.7em]MA [/size][size=0.7em]Mount Greylock[/size][size=1em] [/size][size=0.7em] 3,491 [/size][size=0.7em]Adams[/size][size=0.7em]
    MD [/size][size=0.7em]Backbone Mountain/Hoye-Crest[/size][size=0.7em] 3,360 [/size][size=1em] [/size][size=0.7em]Oakland
    [/size][size=0.7em]PA [/size][size=0.7em]Mount Davis[/size][size=1em] [/size][size=0.7em]3,213 [/size][size=0.7em]Elk Lick Township[/size][size=1em]
    [/size][size=0.7em]CT [/size][size=0.7em]Mount Frissell (south slope) [/size][size=0.7em]2,380 [/size][size=0.7em]Salisbury[/size][size=1em]
    [/size][size=0.7em]NJ [/size][size=0.7em]High Point [/size][size=0.7em] 1,803 [/size][size=0.7em]Sussex[/size][size=1em]
    [/size][size=0.7em]RI [/size][size=0.7em]Jerimoth Hill [/size][size=0.7em] 812 [/size][size=0.7em]Foster[/size][size=1em]
    [/size][size=0.7em]DE [/size][size=0.7em]Ebright Azimuth[/size][size=0.7em] 448 [/size][size=0.7em]Brandywine[/size]
    [size=1em] [/size]

Steve, your Japan expedition sound awesome!

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

Edited once, last by Chief57 ().

• Isn't Mount Mansfield in Vermont? I believe I've been to the top of that (drove it :driving:). If it's the one I thinking of, on a clear day you can supposedly see Canada, New York, and...somewhere else. :doh:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• It is so funny that this came up! My 2wk venture is coming into focus. all sleeping will be indoors, and days will be spent climbing/hiking.

2 nights in sleepy hollow,ny
    2 nights in newport, ri
    2 nights in freeport
    3 nights at bay of fundy (nb canada)
    5 nights at bar harbor / acadia

I would have gotten a lot of info from AAA, but i got kicked out of their office because i had my dog with me, Why would they not allow a dog? They don't make/serve food.. I got pissed and left.

I've heard the Beehive trail is spectacular and it has iron rungs to help get you up there.
    This link has info on the trails and basic maps.
    http://www.acadiamagic.com/acadia-hiking-trails.html

I am also looking for a rock climbing place the would run some climbs, i'll post more when i get it.

• trip update?

• I'm sorry that I'm coming to this thread so late, but I just wanted to chime in about my recent experience. A few years ago I decided I wanted to do some sort of memorable adventure with my teenage son, and I set upon a long-term plan to hike the highest peak in each of the Northeast states. By design, we've knocked out one climb per year. Four years ago it was Mount Washington (NH), then Mount Greylock (MA), then Mount Katahdin (ME), and then last year Mount Mansfield (VT). We knocked out Jerimoth HIll in Rhode Island during the Katahdin trip, and you can do that in your flip flops if you like. This year we hope to take on Mount Marcy (NY).

With most of these peaks, there is the opportunity to do a little bouldering along the way if that's your cup of tea. Each experience has been a little different. (We did climb in Connecticut. That state is a little funky, because the highest "point" in the state is actually on the side of a mountain that peaks in Massachusetts.) I made sure to take plenty of pictures, not so much for myself, but for Michael so that he could show his kids one day.

In my opinion, even though Washington has the greatest vertical ascent, Katahdin has been the most difficult trip thus far -- not because it's the farthest, but because the mountain is remote and because access to it is restricted. It's also a tough climb, and it cost me some minor knee surgery. Now I'm 60 and he's 18, and I'm hoping my health and his interest will allow us to continue our adventure for at least a couple of more years.

Deadfeat, I'm sure people would like to hear about your Mount Fuji climb!

• A few years ago I decided I wanted to do some sort of memorable adventure with my teenage son, and I set upon a long-term plan to hike the highest peak in each of the Northeast states.

That is sooo freakin cool.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• did you make it out this year? or is it on the permanent back burner?

Permanent back burner is probably a good way to describe it. Between working full time, remodeling the entire house basically, and having 7 children I haven’t found much time to breathe much less take discretionary leisure trips.

• This summer my son and I tackled Mount Marcy, the highest peak in New York. It was a long, long day! Next up, I'm thinking of West Virginia.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!