PDC install in a YJ

• I picked up a PDC relay box last year to install in the YJ in order to clean up the wiring in the engine bay. After I deleted most of the wiring out of the Jeep, I just didn't get around to wiring it in. Now that the weather is nicer, I want to try and tackle this project. Right now, I have 3 relays wired into lights... lows, highs and Hellas. I won't be hurting for any space in the PDC box as I believe it'll hold 15ish relays and has space for fuses as well. I figured a little overkill wouldn't hurt and leaves room for future electronics as well (spots, light bar, stereo stuff, etc.).

So a few quick questions:
    1. Mounting spot: Better inside the cab or in the engine bay? The box has a hinged lid.. my only concern would be corrosion to the wiring feeding in through the bottom of the box.

2. When running the power supply to the box, should I use a breaker/inline fuse on that cable or is that way overkill? My Optima has both top and side posts so the box will be run off the side post.

3. What gauge wire would be large enough to handle the load from multiple accessories? Let's say LED headlights + incandescent spots (x2@55w or x4 @100w) + stereo/amp + heater + wipers going.... just trying to think max load pull... :shrug: A similar gauge ground will be run to the chasis from the box.

4. Any tips/tricks/suggestions?

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• I would absolutely put an inline fuse holder if it's going to be supplying power to other devices. Could even do fuses to each device is they aren't already there. Circuit breakers are nice if you can get one that fits what you're trying to do. Saves replacing fuses. You just click it back once you fix the issue.

If it were me I would say inside cab to reduce the exposure to the elements. Would extend the longevity if you could keep it dry but that means running wires back and forth through the fire wall.

• Keep it as close to the battery as possible. You will have less voltage drop.

The factory PDC's are not fused from the battery. Just keep it short and clean so there's no way for the wire to get pinched or rubbed bare. Use good quality lugs on the ends.

I would use either #8 or #6 to feed it.

That being said, be sure everything that is fed from the box is fused.

• Yeah, if no chance of getting pinched then fusing each item would work. Would you see that much voltage drop if he ran it inside the cab?

• Here's a few pics of the unit I pulled from the scrap yard. I grabbed the swivel base mount and as much of the power supply wire as I could safely get to.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• You'll have to show me at the next meeting so I understand what this is

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!