2012+ JK guys... Water pump issues?

• Been hunting down a coolant leak the past few days. Only leaks when the engine is warmed up and under throttle, so it's difficult for me to do. I thought it was a hose since I saw coolant dripping from it, replaced it with a Mopar hose and new clips, but it's still leaking expensive coolant. My only other thought is the water pump since the radiator and overflow bottle look dry. I'm gonna look at it more and likely get a new Mopar pump from Quadratec in the daylight hours.

Anybody else had any problems with their water pump or a coolant leak? Almost 5 years old and 62k miles, so I guess it's due...

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• If it's only under throttle that tells me it's a pressure thing which could mean your radiator cap isn't releasing pressure.

How many miles do you have on the Jeep? Water pumps are generally good for 100,000 miles or there-abouts. I think I changed my truck water pump at 96,000 miles actually.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I think the throttle correlation is just because the extra pressure from the pump moving faster and getting past the pressure threshold, I really don't think that the cap is the problem. I can easily squeeze the radiator hose, there's so much air in the system that I'm confident the pressure is far below the 18psi cap.

62k miles. The later 2012 and 2013 build year Jeeps have known bad pumps, but mine was built in 2011.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• John, it wasn't the pump. Upon further inspection, starting with a dry motor... The leak is coming from the thermostat housing. The face of it has a mark from the molding process, and it's leaking there. Just got one from the local dealership, this one has a part number a few generations newer (AF vs AH suffix) but still has the same mark from the mold. Looks like the rain is staying north for a while, so I'll chill for a while to let the system cool and swap it out.

Jerry / Whatevah

• [img width=1200 height=675]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.co…3453dcebb2b0aff9b976f.jpg[/img]
    Well, like the man said... There's your problem.

Jerry / Whatevah

• I see the crack and the casting flaw but I'm not sure where that is relative to the mating surface where the coolant is flowing through. Can you file the new one down to remove the flaw?

I'm more concerned with why it cracked.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I see the crack and the casting flaw but I'm not sure where that is relative to the mating surface where the coolant is flowing through. Can you file the new one down to remove the flaw?

I'm more concerned with why it cracked.

It isn't near a mating surface. It is the top of the thermostat housing. The whole thing has coolant running through it.

• That circle on the front is not a casting flaw its in the mold, probably a vent. I was saying that the housing probably has a density issue of casting flaw allowing the crack to have started. That housing goes through a lot of heat cycles and if there is an air pocket in the metal it can crack. Just a theory.

• That circle on the front is not a casting flaw its in the mold, probably a vent. I was saying that the housing probably has a density issue of casting flaw allowing the crack to have started. That housing goes through a lot of heat cycles and if there is an air pocket in the metal it can crack. Just a theory.

oh....

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!