Avoid Wharton State Forrest (NJ)

• http://www.courierpostonline.c…erway-pinelands/83835774/

As I grew up in this area, and trail rode this area for awhile, this article is very one sided. And as much as I dont like Dave, they did use him to portray "evil offroaders", which is not right.

The way this was twisted is horrible.

If you do not want to be hassled, please avoid wharton, unless you have camping passes. But dont expect to not get pulled over and inspected.

Also, I have heard that clean vehicles (jeeps) have been getting pulled over, on road, in the area. I dont know what the police are up to in the area, but there are numerous reports of people being pulled over for no reason other than being in the area. I just witnesses someone post on FB yesterday about how a cop blew past them to pull over a stock clean jeep, when the cop was no where near the jeep to begin with.

Just an FYI for those that use to enjoy this area. :cuss: :cuss:

• Participant Jeeps with tires over 37″ WILL BE TURNED AWAY AT VEHICLE EVALUATION AND WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO ATTEND JAMBOREE, NO REFUND.

Why does this make no sense to me?? You'd think they'd want some more capable rigs there to pull people out of the mud and water... which WILL happen. And I still will never understand why people will pay any $$.. let alone $225-$500.. to go wheeling in a free, legal place! :bang: :bang: :bang:

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• The largest tire size allowed in NJ is 38.5.

Every lifted vehicle needs an alternate lift inspection done at a private area.

1/2 ton trucks are allowed 6" (lift plus tires)

3/4 ton trucks are allowed 9" (lift plus tires)

1 ton trucks are allowed 11" (lift plus tires)

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]My ranger was given 500$ in tickets before I moved to NJ, the truck is tiny..[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The failure to inspect ticket (enough can have your registration revoked) was 150$.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]If you have the EPA Emissions inspection, but no lift inspection its the same ticket.. Its completely BULL.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]This is why I trailer my stuff to private property now.[/font]

• Participant Jeeps with tires over 37″ WILL BE TURNED AWAY AT VEHICLE EVALUATION AND WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO ATTEND JAMBOREE, NO REFUND.

Why does this make no sense to me?? You'd think they'd want some more capable rigs there to pull people out of the mud and water... which WILL happen. And I still will never understand why people will pay any $$.. let alone $225-$500.. to go wheeling in a free, legal place! :bang: :bang: :bang:

There is a ticket for spinning tires in muddy water in NJ, if you drive through a puddle in a main trail and spin your tires (more than just driving) its a HUGE fine.

If you go in any mud holes you are gonna get a (off the beaten path) ticket which has just increased.

You CANNOT WHEEL in Wharton, you can "trail ride with restriction" on the legal roads.

• But how can you trail ride on legal roads when the article you linked states they refuse to issue a map of legal roads.

I used to ride my street legal dirt bikes for miles in the pine lands. Unfortunately never new what was legal and what wasn't as far as roads. It would be a regular thing to cover 100 miles and only cross pavement 3-4 times during a ride.

• But how can you trail ride on legal roads when the article you linked states they refuse to issue a map of legal roads.

I used to ride my street legal dirt bikes for miles in the pine lands. Unfortunately never new what was legal and what wasn't as far as roads. It would be a regular thing to cover 100 miles and only cross pavement 3-4 times during a ride.

Are they refusing? THey said all you need to do is hit up the Ranger Station in Atsion to get one.

But then again the PPA was cutting down trees to block legal roads and then fining people for moving or driving over them by spotting them with trail cams.

• This is what the article you linked to said.

This is direct copy paste from the article. Maybe I read this out of context but this was a quote from some one from the Pine Barrens Preservation Alliance.

[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][size=14px]"DEP's new signage program also appears to be causing some confusion for park visitors because the signs don't state what the restrictions on motor vehicle use are and also because the DEP has refused to release a map of permissible routes," [/size][/color]

The max tire size is standard for every Jeep Jamboree...

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I've never been to a Jeep jamboree. They have always been expensive and seemed more geared toward the soccer dads that wanted to take mom's jeep off road.

It also sounds like they don't want to scare people away by the 'ruffians on big tires'.

• I've never been to a Jeep jamboree. They have always been expensive and seemed more geared toward the soccer dads that wanted to take mom's jeep off road.

It also sounds like they don't want to scare people away by the 'ruffians on big tires'.

It's certainly aimed at the casual Jeeper or first-timer, but it's a good time for the people that attend. Not everybody is able to drive many many hours to handle some of these trails solo. For them, the ease of having an experienced guide and scheduled trails is worth it. I passed two groups in Ouray, CO last year and they seemed to be having a blast. A nice variety of Jeeps, even a Cherokee Trailhawk. Of course, I did the same trails that they did, solo, for free.

It's the same story for the Easter Jeep Safari in Moab, although quite a bit cheaper... only $50 per trail. But, theirs is a PITA because a trail that I can run solo in 3 hours, they take an entire day due to the high number of vehicles in the group. Still, the overall event is cool.

Sorry for the topic drift...

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I just dont understand the price for wharton, theres no wheeling at all. Its illegal haha. So your paying 250$ to trail ride a forrest... thats ridiculous. Theres nothing challenging about Wharton.. other than Quarter Mile but thats a 1500$ fine to go back to now.

• Flat land, Water, sand plus fines? Where do i sign up?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• So if I drive through NJ with my lifted JEEP I will be pulled over and ticketed? :shrug:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!