It's shark week

• I did my first shark fishing trip of the year in the Delaware Bay over the weekend. This was a couple weeks earlier then we targeted them last year and they're here already. We normally fish until dusk but we under estimated the action and ran out of bait around 2. The action should be hot and heavy until some time in August if the past season is an indication.

We may have room for a person of two in the future if anyone is interested.

• If you are talking out side the wall meaning ocean versus bay we are in the bay actually 10 miles North of the wall fishing in only 12' of water.

Generally the sharks come about one every 10-15 minutes while the water is moving. The fishing stagnates when there is no tide movement. They average 3-4 feet and there are generally 2-3 big girls mixed in during the day. The one in the bottom pic is about 6' and was the big girl of the day. When they're in its common to catch 25-60 of them during the course of the day with 2-4 people on the boat.

• We went again this past Saturday and they are still pretty hot and heavy. We had several double headers although the action started slow and I caught 5 two footers before the fun ones started showing up. The fun ones being the 3'+ sand bars as they make runs like a tuna.

You can see them start to swim under the boat on the fish finder.

We lost a few nice ones to several tackle failures. We had a hook break and another one open up and allow the fish to pull it.

[size=1em]I had what would have easily been the biggest one of the day and may have been the biggest we ever had. It was on my heaviest rod with 80# line and a size 12000 reel. He instantly took 3/4 of my line and was still going. I tightened down on my drag before he got all my string and snapped it off at the spool and made off with my line. This caused a tackle failure first, they eye of my swivel broke and he got away. I guess since we never saw him and got a picture it's only a fish story.[/size]

• Any one interested in going tomorrow 6/25?

My normal fishing companions bailed as of last night and the other this morning. Its very hard to land, unhook and release a shark single handed.
    I have all the gear required and only ask for you to split for fuel, bait and tackle expenses. This would be $20-$40 dollars depending on the number of people and the quantity of bait purchased.

I plan on leaving a little later than usual tomorrow but will still like to roll from Middletown at 6:30. This puts us launching at dead low and on the spot by the time the tide is moving.

• That's really a great offer Will, if I didn't have to work this weekend I would have taken you up on it! I always pay at least my share. I hope you find some help so you can keep on them. Good Luck!

• I'll throw another invite out there again. I would like to go Saturday. My boat is 20' so I can comfortably fish three people and fish four max. As of the moment I have two maybes for Saturday and I'm fairly certain one is not going.

I like to have three people aboard as it's nice to have two people to handle a larger shark along side of the boat. One guy to unhook and one to pass tools as you may need a dehooker, wire cutter of bolt cutter.

This is from last week end and shows what I mean by its nice to have 3 people.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/embed/pG4CM8eud44[/youtube]" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last weekend was an awesome trip and the previous was so/so. There is no guarantee it will be another awesome trip but we've only had one so/so trip so far and we still caught about 8 sharks.

These are all from last weekend.

My friends nephew on his first fish.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/embed/nM63h015Oak[/youtube]" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Looks like a ton of fun! I have to work, but will keep watching if you offer for a day I'm off. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!