U-joints clunking?

• I have spent the past 14 months working on the 87 Wrangler. Started with a simple repaint , ended up with replacing hood, tailgate, cowl, windshield & frame, seats, installed family rollbar and body mounts and bushings). Then went to replace bushings in leaf springs, which ended up replacing all 4 springs. Then found out some of the 4" lift kit components were incorrect. Replaced them, then replaced most of the front end. After a front end aline, I have to replace the steering box BUT now this arose:
    My problem is the rear drive shaft. With all components now correct, the Wrangler sets much higher and the rear u-joints are making a clunking/clicking noise. I have been researching articles about driveshaft angles but I'm lost. Can anyone explain to me in simple english how/where/what to measure and what will cure the problem? The Wrangler has a 4.2L with a B&M turbo 350 trans. There's a mount under the trans that's adjustable and I can drop the trans about 1 inch.
    I have a photo of the rear driveshaft. Just email me: cdlongjr@msn.com
    Any help is greatly appreciated. JEEP, just empty every pocket. My pockets were empty long ago. Mrs. & I want to ride! You know what they say "if Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy". Right now Momma is furious!

• The slip yoke and the axle pinion need to be parallel to each other oe your going to have vibes and premature ujoint wear and failure. Even then, if the angle of the driveshaft is too steep, it will cause the issues even if they're parallel. It looks pretty close to the angle mine was at before I switched to a SYE and CV driveshaft. I was replacing ujoints 2-3 times a year and still had bad vibrations between 30&45 mph. I'll see if I can find the pics of my old setup.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Thanks Kuntryboy.
    I have seen that steel pinion angle shims are available. Know anything about them?
    I saw you on salem Creek road the other day. Like your Jeep.

• I'm surprised you haven't broken a U-joint or the slip yoke or both. I think you'll need a CV (double-cardan) drive shaft. With that, the pinion should be pointing at the output at the transfer case. Check out Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts on the web. With the two-joint shaft you have, they should be parallel (equal but opposite angles). From Tom Wood's Tech-Geometry page:

• As was said, look into switching a CV drive shaft (and SYE if available) and rotate the pinion up. You can do that with degree shims which shove in between the axle mounting plate and the spring, or cut the axle mounting plates off, rotate the pinion up where you need, and weld on new mounting plates.

But I believe if you can get a SYE for that transmission you could gain a little length in the drive shaft which would help all around.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I was able to remove some shims from the turbo 350 tranny mount and get the angles better. Drove her 2 hours to Maryland for a family reunion yesterday. No issues.
    Thanks to all for all the help !!!! :driving:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!