Pinion angle help

• I currently have a 98 tj that is all stock with the exception of a zone 3" spring lift east coast gear supply 8.8 rear and 3/4" spacers in the front also. I figured I'd need atleast upper adjustable control arms in the rear but have bought a set yet. I don't plan to take it off road until I save the money up for the sye and CV shaft. The slope of the driveshaft is +24.6° the angle measured off the top of the pinion u joint cap is +9° the measurement at the u joint cap at the transfer case is +7°. Anyone have any experience with this? I took it out for a test drive and have bad vibes. The axle doesn't hit or bind at all. I'd just like to drive it around till I get the money to buy a sye and CV shaft. It's not a daily driver. Thanks

• The upper angle should be equal but oposite of the lower angle, but in your case u have exceeded the operational angle of the driveshaft. U need to lower the tcase skid with a spacer kit. I think i have a .75" kit u can have but u might need more. A motor mount lift would also help.

• My first attempt at removing the skid plate bolts didn't work out so great. I snapped the head of of one. The kit did come with spacers and I did consider taller motor mounts. I may just pull the rear shaft and drive it like that to get it lined up then save for a sye and CV shaft. Who knows where the best deal is? Thanks again

• I have had similar luck with my skid plate. I managed to strip 3 of the bolts out and had to cut them off in the process of pulling out my transfer case. I ordered a kit from black magic brakes with replacement bolts and more importantly the acorn bushings and threaded inserts to fix the ones I messed up.

• U will have to check your frame carefully there is a high probability that the frame is rusted out and u will need a frame cap. If the frame is solid the replacement nutserts work.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!