EVAP smoke test in NCC

• How long does it take for the code to come back after you clear it? Check all of the rubber fittings and elbows that plug into the side of the intake manifold for cracks and dry rot. That's almost always where I have leaks.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• After I clear it most of the pcm systems show as not ready while it runs the tests, EVAP is always the last to run its test and show a ready/complete state. As soon as it runs the tests and goes ready the cel comes back. So it's never is in a ready state without the cel.

I THINK you can pass inspection with 1 or 2 (I forget which) in the not ready state. if you could time it so all the others are ready and that is the last "not ready", you may be good.

I am about 90% sure of this...good luck

• Got it smoke tested and found a leak, it should be good...just waiting for the last sensor (evap of course) to go ready. DMV says "The technician will connect the inspection tool to the OBD II system to determine its status." I can't find anything that says 1 is ok, I drove it a bunch yesterday and it hasn't gone ready surprisingly. Hopefully it flips today.

edit: another section of the dmv's site says "More than the allowable numbers of monitors are not ready. The purpose of the readiness status check is to determine if the vehicle’s OBDII system has tested all emission control components. If the vehicle’s battery has been recently disconnected, or if trouble codes have been recently cleared with a scan tool, OBD components will be set to “not ready”."

Of course they don't tell you what the allowable numbers is. :/

• nope. It has to be in ready state. U can have up to 2 soft codes, codes that dont turn on the light, but anything that trips the light is a fail.

Geoff borrowed a smoke machine and we found a pin hole in the vent line down by the tank. I cut it out and replace it with some hose and it seems fine. I think he is swinging by the dmv this morning.

• I THINK you can pass inspection with 1 or 2 (I forget which) in the not ready state. if you could time it so all the others are ready and that is the last "not ready", you may be good.
    I am about 90% sure of this...good luck

I'll have to dig through my bookmarks from my turbo car days to find the specific doc referencing it....96-00 can have 2 unset readiness codes, >=01 can have 1. Depending on the make some set all but a couple on the first keycycle. Typically emissions related ones are slower to set (o2, cat efficiency, evap, etc). Taken advantage of this many times. :evil:

EDIT: Found the link. Here's the DE code stipulating this if anyone's curious (see 4.4.2.4 & 4.4.2.5)- http://regulations.delaware.go…tle7/1000/1100/1131.shtml

--Ian

• nope. It has to be in ready state. U can have up to 2 soft codes, codes that dont turn on the light, but anything that trips the light is a fail.

Geoff borrowed a smoke machine and we found a pin hole in the vent line down by the tank. I cut it out and replace it with some hose and it seems fine. I think he is swinging by the dmv this morning.

Correct about codes, not about readiness tests....see above.

• In my XJ as long as the fuel tank was above 3/4 the EVAP wouldn't run. So while we were troubleshooting the EVAP and needed to get trough DE inspection we cleared the codes and drove it for a couple days making sure to keep the tank about 3/4. Passed without issue.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!