Gas Tank Mod

• I wanted to see if anybody has heard of, or done, this mod to their gas tank. Researched it a little, and seems easy enough...

One of the plastic nipples on the top of my 19 gallon gas tank cracked, and was causing an evap leak. Had to fix it for inspection. I had a used one swapped in, which ended up being a 15 gallon tank. Not a huge deal, but its like losing 25% of your fuel capacity. So i'd like to get that back.

Apparently the 15 and 19 gallon tanks are two different part numbers, but are basically identical, same size, shape. The only difference is that the vent tube is longer on the 15 gallon, and is hanging inside the tank. It sounds like, as the fuel level rises in the tank, it reaches the vent tube, causing a pressure difference, and that is what causes the gas nozzle to shut off when filling your tank. So, the MOD is to drop the tank, remove the fuel pump assembly, and cut several inches off the vent tube. This will allow the fuel level to be able to rise further.

So if it's true, and it seems like it is from other forums, anybody with a 15 gallon tank can easily bump up their fuel capacity 4 more gallons. I guess you would just need a 19 gallon fuel pump assembly. I already have that. I know I could just go find another tank that is 19 gallons, but that will cost me a couple hundred i'm sure. Has anybody done this? or tried?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum…nk-mod-confirmed-1234621/

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    ---- This is a video of it being done to a YJ. The YJ's can be done without dropping the tank, but I believe the TJ's can access the vent tube the same way, because it is somehow plastic welded to the tank.

Anyway, thanks for any insight.

• yea easy mod they r thr same tank. U can also just plug the broken nipple on your old tank with epoxy and run one vent line.

• the sending unit/pump is the same other then how the sending reads. It will just read full longer and the levels will actually be off except for empty :).im assuming sg used his original when he swiched tanks so his just doesnt get to full.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!