Little lift and lots of protection

• Going to get skids, spacer lift and body lift.

So far I've decided on
    Skid Row Engine Skid
    Skid Row Steering Box Skid
    Skid Row Radiator Skid
    Skid Row Control Arm Skids

I also want to get Diff Skids or Guards, but I need suggestions - will the cage type get hung up on branches & stuff or should I get the solid type? There are also gliders. Also who makes the best ones?

I want to get quick disconnects, what are best?

I'm gonna get a spacer lift and a small body lift. I want to go to 33's eventually, but I don't want to go real big if I don't have to. Also, what else will I need for a 2-3 inch total lift? Will I need longer shocks? I saw a one inch BL kit that said I needed a longer fuel filler hose, does this go for all of them? Also, some of the lifts won't go on TJ's with A/C. I'm a little lost with this part, so any :help: or suggestions based on your experiences would be greatly appreciated. :roll:

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• Because a body lift moves the filler farther away from the has tank (whichis mounted to the frame) you will need to extend the filler hose. That's as easy as slicing your filler hose, inserting a section of pipe that fits snuggly, and clamping it in place.

Body lifts are easy to install but don't go much over 1". You will also need to lower your fan shroud.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Any 1" body lift will be fine with no alterations to the fuel filler or the AC lines. Performance is probably the cheapest, most kits are the same except for daystar which replaces all of the stock bushings instead of stacking on top of them, it is a bit pricier though.

Get the weld-on control arm skids instead of the bolt on skid-rows, they are much much cheaper and there are more than a few club members with welders who can put them on for you.

The gliders in a a word suck, everyone I know who has owned them has broken them or bent them in some way that has cause problems. The cage types will be alright for most types of wheeling. Four x doctor makes nice ones.

Disconnects, go with Tera or JKS, really the only choices out there that are made well.

A budget boost and a 1" BL will clear 33's but not very well.... If I was to run 33's I would save my penny's for the old man emu 2" springs, they ride great and will improve your ride.

• Not to get too far off subject, but what do you think about Black Diamond quick disconnects? (for a 95 YJ) The reason I was considering the BD was the range of lift (0 to 4"). I have no lift, but plan on a 2.5" OME lift. Will the Tera Flex for 0-2" be OK on a 2.5 lift?

kevin

• Listen to turtle, he knows...

As for diff skids, that may depend on what you plan to do. If you are going to be on the beach, and doing some mild trail riding, I think you're probably best off with a diff skid like Warn's, that covers and protects the lower half of the differential. If you're thinking about some tougher rock trails, you may want the cage type to help you scrape over the rocks. I had these for a while, but they got all beat up and misshapen on all the rocks I hit. I traded up to chromoly diff covers front and rear, but these are expensive ($200 per!). Sliders sound like a good idea, but I don't know how well they actually hold up (I think JeepSahara has them - maybe he'll speak up).

I never heard of a radiator skid...I guess I better go check it out.

I didn't see you mention a gas tank skid. Your jeep has a stock one, but it is pretty weak. If you decide to do any kind of rocky trails, you'll want a gas tank skid. I have Skid Row's, which goes on over the stock skid. The other good ones replace the stock one.

Ask JoeLove about the importance of an engine skid... he took his off and is now looking at replacing his entire oil pan. I like my Skid Row one. It makes some weird flexing noises on the trail, but I got used to it.

As for disconnects, try the JKS "Quicker Disconnects". I think Q'tec sells them, or you can get them straight from http://www.jksmfg.com. They are really easy to use, as long as you keep them greased (ask wanderlust about that!). Tera is similar. Don't get the ones with pins that need to be lined up, they are very frustrating.

My TJ's body lift is from JKS. It is 1 1/4", and didn't need any adjustments for my AC or to the fuel filler. You want to pair it with 1" motor mount lift to avoid relocating the fan shroud when you install the body lift.

It sounds like you are on your way. Good luck!

• sara if u havent asked already
    first thing u should decide on is what exactly u want to do
    with your jp
    how much wheeling u want to do and what type of

• Thanks for the input. I am currently revising my shopping list. The engine skid is mandatory as far as I'm concerned (especially after the dent in my oil pan from JF/BB). :cry:

Quote from "jeeprubicon"

sara if u havent asked already
    first thing u should decide on is what exactly u want to do
    with your jp
    how much wheeling u want to do and what type of

:eye: Andrew, you already know what kind of wheeling I do -- mud and sand and hills -- not fond of rocks. Or are you asking 'cos you know you'll be helping me install all of it? :crazy:

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• Quote from "SarasGP"

Thanks, but I think I'll pass on this radiator protection gadget. Even Skid Row says "While we'll admit we haven't managed to destroy ours yet..." I think it's probably overkill, especially if you're not planning to do heavy duty rockcrawling...

• Quote from "SarasGP"

:eye: Andrew, you already know what kind of wheeling I do -- mud and sand and hills -- not fond of rocks. Or are you asking 'cos you know you'll be helping me install all of it? :crazy:

Obviously another feeble attempt at post padding.

The guy needs serious help.

• Quote from "jeeprubicon"

u hear me pot?
    LOL

Quote from "Keith_C"

I hear you kettle.

You're both a couple of non-waving post padding non-monkeys! :laughing:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!