Taking doors off- first time

• I havent taken my doors off yet- the whole riding around on rt 1 and 95 with no mirrors thing.

Well I will be spending 3 weeks at FT Indiantown Gap for drill- and I'd like ride around in true Jeep fashion.

2 questions: (half doors btw)

1) I assume I use a wratchet for this. What size are the bolts? And someone said there is a tool that doesnt strip the paint? I'd assume a wratchet with a rubber grip?

2) I read somewhere when you take the doors off the lights will stay on. Do I just need to remove a fuse?

Thanks

• brad,
    put a towel over the nut and use a 6" crescent wrench to loosen them. no scratches and no expensive special wrench. the "door defeat" fuse (#4 in the fuse panel i believe) is what you pull out when the doors are off. keep in mind that it also kills the chime that alerts you when you leave your headlights on with the jeep off.
    chris

p.s. if the first time taking them off then expect some resistance. i just put my leg under them and keep steady upward pressure with my leg while rocking the door in a open/close motion.

• I believe it is a 13mm. I wrapped mine in elec tape to protect the paint - worked like a charm. I never put mine back on - too much of a hassle to take them on and then off.

Then I removed the #4 fuse (i think) to keep the lights off. It's the bottom right fuse.

• 13mm is right. Cutting the paint around the bolt helps, too. I left 2 of the nuts on the back of my Jeep one time and now I only have 2. I never put them back on either.

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• not to steal this thread....

but i once new a guy at UD who never put his nuts back his doors, and well the doors were stolen(on his jeep with no nuts), so just a thought for ppl who dont put them back on...

• Quote from "Falcon"

not to steal this thread....

but i once new a guy at UD who never put his nuts back his doors, and well the doors were stolen(on his jeep with no nuts), so just a thought for ppl who dont put them back on...

What he said! Even if you have an alarm, they get ignored most of the time anyway, I'd invest in a set of the "Tuffy" door security locks.

Click here

The doors on Wranglers are very easy to steal and they go for a pretty penny on ebay! Spend the $50 so you arent paying some a-hole on ebay $500+ for what could very well be your own doors.

• I got some of those door locker onner hinge thingies from Upper Bound for when they go back on for the winter.

OK Keith, that's the last time I'll let you sit on the back of my Jeep. :updown:

BTW-my Jeep is a girl.

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• Quote from "SarasGP"

OK Keith, that's the last time I'll let you sit on the back of my Jeep. :updown:

BTW-my Jeep is a girl.

Ned: "I think its a mail plane"
    Dusty: "How can you tell?"
    Ned: "Didnt you see its little ball$ ?"
    ... I love that movie!

Sorry, I just thought it fit after the last comment.

:D

• Maybe that is another good reason to keep the doors off so they don't get stolen :up: Although since I have not had my nuts on in years (no comments please :suspicious: ) my doors may get thieved (I like inventing words) so maybe I should get some of those door lock things too :lbulb:

93 YJ 5spd w/ 4.10s, 3.5&WCF_AMPERSAND" black diamond suspension lift, 33&WCF_AMPERSAND" BFG all-terrains, crager 397s, alpine mp3 head unit and amp, 4.0TB, K&amp;N air intake<br />2008 Commander Rocky Mountain Edition 4.7 V8 (no mods yet, but prob soon)

• Funny stuff, Rob.

Mel, the correct technical term for those is "door-locker-onner-hinge-thingies" tm

• Ok, got the doors off no sweat. Well I actually I did sweat as its about 95 degrees out :rasp:

Gave up on protecting the bolts, accepted the paint damage.

Now, about the mirrors.....someone said there is a relocation kit you can get to move the OEM mirros to the A-Pillar. Anyone have any info or opinion on these kits?

• My decision was to leave my mirrors on the doors and buy the CJ-style mirrors to add when the doors come off. I got these from Q-tec:

http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-b…M=00&UID=2005072713010308

I haven't put them on the TJ yet, but it looks like the bolts are in the same place. The brackets stay on 24/7, only the mirror/arm comes off. These worked great with minimal vibration, though I'm told every alternative will vibrate some. 2 bolts on, 2 bolts off...easy and fast.

DrJ

• that door light kit that quadratec has is pretty handy too if you don't feel like popping the fuse in and out every time you take your doors off. Its basically just two wires and a switch though so you could rig the same thing up for a few bucks at rs

• I got this type from Q'tec:
    http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-b…&UREQD=4&FNM=00&x=60&y=77

I has a bracket that you mount to the windshield pillar, and it just always stay there. When I pull the doors, I leave the OEM mirrors on them and fold them in. Then this Quick Mirror II just bolts onto that bracket with the turn knob you can see in the pic. It does vibrate, but it's more or less there to be legal. Easy on and off.

One note, I did put a nut on the back of the turn knob bolt to keep the bolt from going all the way through the bracket and tearing the paint up.

There is also the Quick Mirror I, which is about $10 cheaper:
    http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-b…&UREQD=4&FNM=00&x=50&y=55

• quick mirror II shakes so much when you drive its basically just for show, if you're concerned about actually using a mirror for something other than being legal

• I have these

http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-b…M=00&UID=2005072715115241

I put them in June and just left them on. It only takes a couple minutes to move the mirrors from the door to the bracket or vice versa. Most of the time, I just leave the driver side on the bracket as it's still in a good position, but I have to put the passenger side mirror back on the door when the soft half windows are in 'cos I can't see the mirror (it could be that a taller person might be able to see it though). The only problem I have is the doors won't open all the way with the brackets on, but an adjustable door strap kept the door from hitting them. I'll take the brackets off for the winter anyway when the doors are on full time.

HTH

• My Jeep never had nuts to lose. :updown:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "SarasGP"

13mm is right. Cutting the paint around the bolt helps, too. I left 2 of the nuts on the back of my Jeep one time and now I only have 2. I never put them back on either.

Despite reading that, I did the same thing. Left the right 2 on my hood and went out for a drive!

Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!