TJ 4WD LO question...

• When I put the TJ in 4HI, a light on the dash reads, "Part Time 4WD", when I put it in 4LO, the same light stays on. It is obviously in 4LO, but is that light correct? I can see in the dash panel that there is a "4WD LO" stenciled in, but it doesn't light. Is that because they use the same stencil for all TJ dashes, or is there something wrong with a switch somewhere?

• I'm pretty sure mine does the same thing Steve. Just says Part Time regardless of whether is LO or HI.

• On some 00 and newer models only the part time light is displayed, there is nothing wrong. On my 99 there are two lights 4wd and then another 4wd light with the 4wd in a different spot on the light, its wierd. I believe it has something to do with if you have ABS or not to determine which light works.

• I might actually be able to give input on this one!

Ok...first question... did you run that little system test where it lights everything up and see if there were any faults...I know that it runs through all the lights on mine.

On my 05...its shows up with 4wd...either in HI or LO. I don't see a 4wd lo or anything in there....maybe I just can't see it.

What year is yours?

• :question: Wow....you guys got 4wd indicator lights?

I'd be happy with just DASH lights. :doh:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• What test?

Look at your dash in bright sunshine, upper right hand corner, mine says "FULL TIME", "PART TIME", "4WD LO", only "PART TIME" ever light up, which is cool, as long as it is right.

DrJ

• The tests Josh is referring to is the diagnostic test you can run to find out fault codes or problems with your dash. I think in 03 and above you hold down your odo reset button and turn the key to "on" but dont actully turn over the engine.

I think that in pre-03 TJs you have to turn the key to the on position 3 times quickly and it will run the diagnostic. It's fun to see your speedo go to 100 while sitting still.

• In 97 models only the 3 turn key charm works. 98 and up requires the odo pin to be pushed and then turn the key to on posistion. then let off the button, guages will cycle and all lights will come on.
    Basically if your like comes on in high and low then there is no problem. jeep always adds extra lights and harnesses.

• the part time light is the only one that will light up regardless if you are in hi or low. tj are all part time unlike cherokees which have part time and full time. Hell my light dosnt even work any more sense i blew the last transfer case to peices :rollsmile:

02 Tj hp Dana 30 4.88 ox locker, Dana 44 4.88 ox locker 3inch Teraflex coils and adjustable lower control arms 33 TSL Thornbirds and 4 chipmunks workin hard under the hood.
    Less brains MORE THROTTLE

• BlueJ is a 2001, and it's exactly the same as yours. I could never understand why it said "Part Time 4WD" because in 4HI or 4LO it is not part-time, it's full-time. I could also see those unused "4WDLo" cut-outs.

It's just one of those things. Pretty soon you'll just ignore it...

• Quote from "joshnextre"

On my 05...its shows up with 4wd...either in HI or LO. I don't see a 4wd lo or anything in there....maybe I just can't see it.

What year is yours?

There is only one light on '03 and later.

• Quote from "BlueJ"

I could never understand why it said "Part Time 4WD" because in 4HI or 4LO it is not part-time, it's full-time. I could also see those unused "4WDLo" cut-outs.

I think it's because you can run in "Full-Time" all the time, off-road and on-road. But, in "Part-Time", you can only use it "part" of the time you're driving, ie... off-pavement only. At least, that's the way I figured it. Odd terminology, for sure.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I just went outside to BlueJII, an XJ. The transfer case lever goes from "2WD" to "4WD Part-Time" to "4WD Full-Time" to "N" to "4WD Lo". That seems to imply to me that "Part-Time" means that the vehicle moves power to the front wheels only part time when needed, and "Full-Time" means that the front and back are locked together all the time.

:shrug:

• The command trac and rock trac are part time because they lock the front and rear drive shafts together when in four HI and LO. Therefore should be used "Part-Time" as in slippery, loose traction situations. Thats howt the Jeep website explains it

• Selena's Liberty has "full time" 4WD, that she can turn on and off. It says "Full time" on the dash, and she can use leave it on all the time if she wants, but usually only turns it on with snow. It also has 4HI and 4LO, and is says "part time 4WD" when either of those is in use.

• Kathy's WJ has two selections: 4 low and full time 4 High. I think it is a Quardratrac II.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• from some quick research, it seems that the Full-Time option in Quadra-Trac II only powers one axle until that axle looses traction and then it adds the power to the other axle. so, Full-Time means 2WD until you loose traction, and then you get 4WD. Put another way, the Full-Time 4WD option is like the AWD option in a lot of cars.

one site calls it "Automatic asymmetric AWD"
    http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/difference_4WD_awd.html

Recently some new "automatic" AWD systems have emerged. Fancy names like "Real Time 4WD" are hiding the fact that they are essentially sophisticated 2WD systems. Automatic asymmetric AWD would be the best term for them. They are much less capable in off-road settings than full time AWD systems and inferior to full time 4WD. However, automatic asymetrical AWD is becoming more and more sophisticated and offers pretty much everything consumers expect for everyday (pavement) driving.

Here is how they work: During traction loss on the driven axle (could be front or rear) a fully automatic system (hydraulic, mechanical or electronic) routes torque to the axle with traction. This means you have to completely lose traction in 2WD on your driven axle first and then the other axle will take over and try to keep the car moving. So, for a moment you have 4WD (AWD). Doesn't mean much because only two wheels have traction. Once the driven axle regains traction and both axles rotate at the same speed again, the system moves back to 2WD.

this page shows a list of common 2WD/4WD combinations you can find, and a link to the info on the Full-Time 4WD stuff. http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/definition_combi.html

Automatic Asymmetric AWD Hi
    part time 4WD Lo
    (Quadra-Trac II,Grand Cherokee WJ + KJ [NV 247], Liberty, Dodge Ram)

and, after checking google some more... I found this page, which probably does a much better job of explaining the Full-Time 4WD like the Selec Trac has. lol http://www.4x4now.com/bd0599.htm

Full-time 4WD: A 4WD system that can be left engaged on dry pavement all the time because it has an open differential or its equivalent in the T-case that relieves the binding occurring between the front and rear axle. It doesn’t give as good mobility off-road as part-time 4WD, because the open differential in the T-case allows a set of wheels (front or rear) to spin if they don’t have traction.

this nice page also has this very helpful tidbit...

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• one thing about jeep is they make a standard for all of their vehicles - the dash is the same for all TJs just like every wiring harness, wether it's used or not. They have it there because it would be more expensive for them to make different kinds than to just have unused stuff. So the most likely scenerio is that it's never going to light up, it's just there as the standard.

:idea:

• Quote from "ChiChuM"

one thing about jeep is they make a standard for all of their vehicles - the dash is the same for all TJs just like every wiring harness, wether it's used or not.
    :idea:

That's pretty smart actually. That way they don't have to keep variations separated so they go in the right vehicle. That price of the unused parts they are putting in is probably pennies compared to the logistics they would need to keep track of the part variations.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!