Check engine code???

• I'm getting check engine code 51, which says it's lean on gas. Anybody else ever have this code? From what I'm reading it seems to have something to do with the O2 sensor. Any suggestions? :shrug:

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• The first thing would be to make sure the hose or whatever is securely hooked up still. You may have a bad O2 sensor but I'm not sure how to check them. Since you just went wheeling, make sure there isn't any mud or grit caked up on something.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Just replace the O2...there's really no good way of testing and even if it technically was a good reading on a '97 with even an average amount of mileage the sensor's response is likely degraded to damn near being useless. Remembering that when running in closed loop the ECU makes constant changes to the injector pulsewidth in order to maintain 'optimal' (not necessarily stoichiometric) air/fuel ratios...if the response time is down on the sensor it'll be reporting old and/or false values to the ECU. They're relatively cheap from local parts houses and are easy to replace. Make sure that there's a dab of antisieze on the threads prior to installing the new unit as it'll make any further replacements much easier.

Also make sure that you don't have any exhaust leaks or cracks in the manifold upstream of the O2 as it'll read lean with the fresh air mixed into the exhaust gases.

--Ian

Remembering that when running in closed loop the ECU makes constant changes to the injector pulsewidth in order to maintain 'optimal' (not necessarily stoichiometric) air/fuel ratios...if the response time is down on the sensor it'll be reporting old and/or false values to the ECU

I know it's off topic but my wife teaches chemisty and I hear the word stoichiometry all the time. It's referred to as simply stoich at my house. It's one of those fun words to say - stoichiometry.

Sorry...

:rollsmile:

• I've checked all the things suggested. The engine light came on during the trip TO GWNF, so wheeling didn't do it. I've priced O2 sensors and the least expensive its like $90. I don't want to go with an aftermarket one since someone else on this board (can't find it right now) had a problem with a non-oem sensor.

I just turned 52K and I'm not quite sure what parts should have been replaced between 32K (when I got it) and 52K. At 47K I replaced plugs, wires, dist cap & rotor, air filter, but not the PCV valve or fuel filter.

So, how do I determine if the sensor is actually bad BEFORE I spend $90 and take a bunch of time replacing it? I'm not a super mechanic nor do I have a whole bunch of money to replace a bunch of different parts until I find the right one.

It does feel kinda sluggish and draggy, but other than that I can't see, hear or feel any other problems.

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• Another question - The parts list shows a front and a rear O2 sensor. Would I have to replace both? I can only find one in the repair manual (the one in the exhaust manifold).

• the o2 sensor is in the pipe
    should be just before the cat.
    i have never had a problem with aftermarket sensors
    try auto zone
    they normally dont take to long to replace
    just a half hour or so
    not even that
    i think there is only one
    but cant remember the last time i looked at a 4cyl tj
    hth

• changing one out is pretty easy if you got the right tools.i just happen to have the right socket. your welcome to stop by after you pick up a new one up . call around for the best price from the auto parts stores, and i'll do the installation for you. drop me a line on when is the best time for you.

• I went to get a PCV valve and was told that there isn't one. I may be only a dumb girl, but that's the first time I've ever heard of an engine (fairly recent model engine) not having one.

So I'm left with getting O2 sensors (note the plural) at $70 per so I'll have to wait 'til next week to get them. Blackflag, stand by for a PM next week.

The only other thing I can think of is the fuel filter, but that's a total PITA 'cos it involves taking out the fuel pump.
    :bang:

(Can you say frustrated?)

• actually tj's dont have a fuel filter
    they have a sock on the p/u tube in the tank
    and as far as i know it is not replaceable

• Quote from "jeeprubicon"

actually tj's dont have a fuel filter
    they have a sock on the p/u tube in the tank
    and as far as i know it is not replaceable

2 filter socks (one on the outside of the sending unit assembly, one on the pump itself) and a filter integrated into the regulator assembly...I've become intimately familiar with the inner workings of a TJ fuel system in the past couple months troubleshooting my issues...

FYI if someone has a fuelpump go the pump assembly _is_ rebuildable, there's a guy on ebay that markets the pump with both pickup socks for ~$80....if you're short on time and have more $$ than brains, though, Newark Jeep usually keeps a couple assemblies in stock. They're $219 cost...like $3-something normally.

--Ian

• Quote from "SaraGP"

went to get a PCV valve and was told that there isn't one. I may be only a dumb girl, but that's the first time I've ever heard of an engine (fairly recent model engine) not having one

My 93 XJ didnt have a PCV valve either. Instead it was called a CVC or something like that. I could have gotten a new one for a lot of money but instead decided to clean the old one out with a degreaser and some compressed air. Worked well and managed to clean all the gunk out.

There has to be a valve somewhere on the crankcase or valve cover.

Just a thought.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!