Homepage Poll???

• "I mean, I've always been a libertarian. Leave everybody alone. Let everybody else do what they want. Just stay out of everybody else's hair." - Clint Eastwood -

• Nah, completely ON topic. It is serving its purpose very well. I certainly have a better idea of the membership's position of the off-topic posts now, and will be a little less eager to edit/delete them because of the good points made here. Bonkers, I'm not ignoring you...my answer just hasn't changed. If the poll doesn't suit you, don't participate...really, no problem here. 90 others didn't have a problem, and that's cool too. I respect your opinion and comments.

See, the thing is, I tend to be off-color, and off-topic myself. Any of you who know me outside of this site know that. I just want it to continue to offer something for EVERYONE, including the more adult, experienced Jeepers (I'm not necessarily one of them by the way), so that they continue to offer us their valuable experience and expertise.

Do I have an agenda? Yup...to try to keep this site valuable to those guys as well as the new members. So...

Please try to keep the off-topic HIJACKS to a minimum. That should be in EVERYONE'S best interest. Use "Off-Topic" as it is intended for anything else, but I will edit and delete any post I feel is derogatory, offensive to me as a representative of this club, or just over the top in some regard not flattering to DeJA's cause. If you don't like how I edit/delete, take it up with me personally by PM, or wait another year and a half...I'll be gone, and the NEXT president can worry about it.

This has been a great, and enlightening discussion, thanks!

DrJ

• this is the problem I have its not your club its ours you shouldn't have the power to just do as you please...... according to the poll right now 56 of 96 respondents "I could care less, I just skip past them." so why should you delete them as you feel nesaccary

• If you were a BOD member, I'd trust your judgement. I'd trust that you had the club's best interest at heart, that's why you chose to be on the BOD.

...and I am part of "our" as well. If you don't like how I handle things, please by all means, do better when it comes time to be your turn. I'll be happy to then sit back and take the easy road too ...criticizing someone else.

• i'm not reading this whole thing but we have to remember that this is a family site and somethings should be deleted, i mean isnt that why we vote for presidents? the majority of the people voted him to have the right to keep this site running as it should. if not lets have a re vote

• Quote from "BlackRubi"

i'm not reading this whole thing but we have to remember that this is a family site and somethings should be deleted, i mean isnt that why we vote for presidents? the majority of the people voted him to have the right to keep this site running as it should. if not lets have a re vote

If someone posts about something vulgar, or really offencive, I would hope it would be deleted.

thats just my 2 cents....

• Quote from "DrJ"

90 others didn't have a problem, and that's cool too.

I find it disturbing that 90 others would vote without specifically knowing what they are voting on. Its like asking "what's the best tire?" - a smart person would ask what it's going to be used for BEFORE making their vote.

• But then again, if you ask someone "Chocolate" or "Vanilla", it doesn't mean there's a hidden evil agenda because "Strawberry" wasn't included.

• I agree that this may not be "Steve's Jeep Club", but he was voted to be the President and it is just his responsibility to make sure that things are running smooth and decent within the club and to the public eye.

We all have our inside jokes and we all have our jabs at others at times, but what does it matter as long as it does not get out of hand? The jokes and jabs do lighten things up at times, but on the rare occasion things do go to far. Many times it does seem like people do bicker like old men playing checkers and turn things into a daytime soap opera.

Just my $.02 though...

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• WOW...

oh and did I say WOW...

oh and also WOW.

Was that too off-topic for everyone?

This is what this thread makes me wanna do :soapbox:

And then maybe a little :repuke: :censored: :throwpc:

• I'm just going to throw out some thoughts, in no particular order...
    Please do not read more into what I am typing... What is typed is what I mean, no hidden agenda, and I'm not thinking of any one in particular. Just making statements.

I will take quality over quantity any day of the week, every single time.
    Any particular change in the club or the board may drive some away, possibly more than it brings in. This is not always a bad thing. The quantity of members/guests lost or gained should not be the sole reason for any decision, or exclusion of any option. Quality > Quantity.

DeJA's web presence is not the club. It is the daily "physical" representation of it though.

I have no quams about what the CLUB itself has become. DeJA has done, and continues to do, a lot for the community, and has improved how wheelers are seen in the local public eye. That is exactly what the originators of DeJA were striving for.

However, what the boards have become is a far cry from what I wanted them to be. I can not speak for the others that started DeJA. Just myself, and, just to be fair to those who went above and beyond, I played a very small part in DeJA's beginnings.

I know that Steve Smith and I wanted the boards to be Jeep related with a place for the "OT" stuff, so it would stay separated. We wanted it to be "family friendly" but not overly PC.

What it has become is an "OT" board with a dusting of jeep related information sprinkled here and there. The board is also incredibly "clicky".

Highschool was over a long time ago for me, and I didnt enjoy it then. I dont fit into molds, and dont like "clicks".

What the boards have turned into is what keeps me away from meetings and events, as well as spending only small amounts of time here.

I check in often, but rarely post much. But at the same time I cant walk away... DeJA is, in a way, like the realization of a dream. A few of us wanted it, and it became real.

I have no problem with having and using an "OT" forum. But at the same time this is a Jeep club, not an everything else club. Lets keep the "OT" in the "OT" forum.

The forums are clearly marked as to what should be posted in them. Anything deviating from that SHOULD be deleted and/or moved.

Go nuts in "OT", keeping it in the guidelines of family oriented. But let us have a Jeep related board for the rest of it.

• I have to agree with a lot of what Rob said, specifically:

.... this is a Jeep club, not an everything else club. Lets keep the "OT" in the "OT" forum.

The forums are clearly marked as to what should be posted in them. Anything deviating from that SHOULD be deleted and/or moved.

Go nuts in "OT", keeping it in the guidelines of family oriented. But let us have a Jeep related board for the rest of it.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the forums as well.
    Also this:

Quote from "Rob Smith"

DeJA has done, and continues to do, a lot for the community, and has improved how wheelers are seen in the local public eye. That is exactly what the originators of DeJA were striving for.

I'd say that's true, but another intention of forming this club was for local area Jeepers to meet others with similiar interests, go on some trail rides, help each other with modifications or maintenance, etc. You know, Jeep stuff. The bottom line, for me anyway, is..."Jeeps are FUN". We should be getting together with one another to have fun with them. The entire concept of this club was put together around having fun.

The website can be a source of great information for people for their Jeeps, and for other things as well. If the forums are used based on what they were set up for, with content kept in the appropriate areas by the users, the site will function as it should, without all of this hassle. If things are not kept in the appropriate areas, then those who have been elected by the members to keep the club running as it should, have the authority to move and/or edit them to adhere to the guidelines of the site, and they shouldn't have to get slack for it.

A final note, for what it's worth, I'm opposed to deleting threads altogether, it's something we've tried not to do. I think editing for abusive or inappropriate content should be done, but otherwise they should be moved to the right area on the site.

• Quote from "wanderlust"

A final note, for what it's worth, I'm opposed to deleting threads altogether, it's something we've tried not to do. I think editing for abusive or inappropriate content should be done, but otherwise they should be moved to the right area on the site.

I'd agree with that. Personally, I like a little humor in the posts but I realize that's hard to control before it becomes out of hand. I mean, where do you draw the line? You can't.

As far as the clickiness, well you can't get around that. That's not a club thing it's a people thing. People will flock together for many reasons, whether it be vehicle make, modification type, general proximity they live relative to each other, ..........or whatever. That's alright though as I always had friends from many different back grounds and groups.

It is what it is. I'm encouraged by the new leadership personally. I'll accept the change because I voted and continue to put in my input and vote. :up:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "DrJ"

But then again, if you ask someone "Chocolate" or "Vanilla", it doesn't mean there's a hidden evil agenda because "Strawberry" wasn't included.

But your poll wasn't anywhere near that defined. In fact yours was specificlly "brown" or "white." Its tough to be vaugue on what "vanilla" is, but you can get really broad with "juvenille."

• Well it served my informational purposes and I've moved on. Sorry it didn't suit you. Thanks for offering your input in posts where you could be more defined with your answers. Sometimes that is best.

• Here's an idea, next meeting, or trail ride, or Spring Fling, or GWNF, go over and spend some time just chatting with someone you don't know, somone not in the usual group you associate with in the club. They'll more than likely have a Jeep within 10 feet, so you already have something of common interest to discuss. Maybe the cliques everyone is talking about can be expanded and overlapped.

Paul (looking for Nirvana... only one who can spell "clique")

[size=9px]ed. by BlueJ![/size]

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!